Readers of VIZ !

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    The Modern Parents expose the PC brigade for the fascists they really are by forcing THIER opinions onto Tarquin while going on about individuaiklty and democracy,
  • ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fru T. Bunn, but its been a while since he was featured in the comic :(

I also like Mr. Logic.
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid the Sexest
    The Fat Slags
    Mr Logic (He's a pedantic T**T)
    Brown Bottle Man

But deffo Modern Parents they where so funny.

Just before or during the sell off to Virgin Media and before they where told to pull it I reall was getting into

The Thieving Gypsy B**tard

After they where made to print an apology to the Gypsy community I lost a bit of respect for the comic, but still makes me chuckle

Top Tips

How to stop bread going dry

(Keep it in a bucket of water)

Priceless
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought (and still do) that the Viz was great! Some of the things that the characters said was hilarious! I haven't bought it for years though.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    a_c_g_t wrote: »
    Sid the Sexest

Just before or during the sell off to Virgin Media and before they where told to pull it I reall was getting into

The Thieving Gypsy B**tard

You were really getting into a one-off strip? It was never intended to be a contuing feature.

And I don't recall any apology.
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the apology (late 1990?) which had a really sarcastic title but a 'proper' legal apology underneath. It was the issue after the 'theiving gypsy bastard' strip was run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I shall have to check my back issues.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Biffa Bacon
    Roger Mellie
    Postman Plod
    Spoilt Bastard
    Fat Slags
    Billie The Fish

Great memories. Still have a few annuals but foolishly threw a load of the comics away.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the apology (late 1990?) which had a really sarcastic title but a 'proper' legal apology underneath. It was the issue after the 'theiving gypsy bastard' strip was run.

And the 'gypsy' activist who complained was later convicted for receiving stolen goods.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    think the 'apology' was in the form of a strip called something like "The honest trustworthy gypsies" :D
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    You were really getting into a one-off strip? It was never intended to be a contuing feature.

And I don't recall any apology.

A) It wasn't going to be a one off strip AFAK.
    B) Yes they did have to appologise for it.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I thought (and still do) that the Viz was great! Some of the things that the characters said was hilarious! I haven't bought it for years though.

Same here.

Although I did get Roger Mellie's Profanasaurus several years back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

well, get yourself down to WH Smiths and buy a copy of the new issue ! :D
    IMMEDIATELY !
    (Other magazine retailers are available !)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    think the 'apology' was in the form of a strip called something like "The honest trustworthy gypsies" :D

That was in the same issue as the offensive strip.

A quick glance through my collection doesn't even turn up the original, but I know I've got it.

Anyway, further internet research suggests that they did a cut out and keep apology in the subsequent issue. Apologies for my doubts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    I remember the Gypsies strip - it was called 'The McO'Dougals'.
    The plot went (done from memory, so might be a bit out of order &/or missing the odd plot point) -
    Gypsies arrive & pitch camp in some bloke's front garden.
    They steal all his stuff & turn his cats into gonks.
    A bloke from the "Council Gypsy Patronisation Department" :D arrives to give them loads of amenities which they then ignore & don't use.
    Homeowner 'phones the Police to complain & gets arrested for persecuting the Gypsies.
    Gypsies eventually leave, leaving devastation & piles of rubbish behind them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Viz_comic_strips#K_-_O

Thieving Gypsy Bastards – Infamous one-off strip about Irish travellers, "Mc O'Dougles", who descend on a middle-class front garden, steal and vandalise everything in sight, with the approval of the local council (even taking a pet dog's testicles!) before moving on. On the next page there was a three-panel "compensatory" strip entitled The Nice, Honest Gypsies. It involved an old Romany woman giving change back to a home owner who had been overcharged for some clothes pegs. An end note adding that in next month's strip The Good Honest Gypsies would be renewing the car tax on their big American car. Both strips caused uproar from race relation groups in the UK. The publishers were accused of promoting prejudice and hatred against an ethnic minority. Following involvement by the UK's Commission for Racial Equality, the British Romany Council and even receiving a reprimand from the United Nations,[1] the next issue of Viz contained a 'cut-out-and-keep' apology; subtitled "what every gypsy's been waiting for!"
  • Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having worked for Royal Mail myself for nigh on 25 years , the Postman Plod character was so like most of the lads in my office I often wondered if the writer had some experience of working there too. I also have the honour of having the Fat Slags supposedly originate from my home town of Mansfield .
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jelly Legs (I Think)

The Bottom Inspectors

Big Vern

I had to find out if it was jelly Legs or not so did some googling

Jellyhead - The girl with no brain. A one off superhero parody about a girl born with lime jelly instead of a brain
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Young Jellyhead Robinson was born with a brain of lime jelly, making her completely useless. :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Wikipedia (see my link above :D), Jellyhead was the work of Charlie Higson.
    Surely not THE Charlie Higson, of "The Fast Show" fame ? :confused:
  • Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modern Parents were the best by far. The most accurate portrayal of Guardian readers I have ever seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Havnt read it for years.Come to think of it...i cant actually remember the last time i saw a copy of it on sale.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Always funny. Brilliant comic.

Biffa Bacon is my favourite character
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIPLEY75 wrote: »
    Havnt read it for years.Come to think of it...i cant actually remember the last time i saw a copy of it on sale.

Just walk into any newsagents !
    I get mine from WH Smiths. This month I bought it from Asda :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morrisons for me.

And I love The Drunken Bakers. The last panel this issue is a bleak joy to behold.