Two payments to Sky ??

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi
As well as my Sky subscription (£42.17 per month), I am also paying £9.00 to "Sat Lite Insured" and £9.00 to "Sky Protect" per month
Is this normal ?
Why am I paying £18 a month to two separate Direct Debits ?
Can I stop paying one of them or do I have to pay both ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must have agreed this at some point ?

Is that Sat Lite legit ? A quick look on google and it seems a lot of people think it's a scam :confused:
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've been scammed old chap. Probably had a phone call a while back telling you your kit was about to go out of warranty?
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lins_81 wrote: »
    You must have agreed this at some point ?

Is that Sat Lite legit ? A quick look on google and it seems a lot of people think it's a scam :confused:

Yes I did agree to them (on the phone).
    I assumed they were a department of Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    You've been scammed old chap. Probably had a phone call a while back telling you your kit was about to go out of warranty?

Scammed ??
    That IS what they told me
    Now I'm :mad:
    How do I stop this payment. Can I get any of my money back ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I did agree to them (on the phone).
    I assumed they were a department of Sky.

Eeeks that's crap :(

Have you been paying this out for long ?

Apparently this so called company has been reported before.

Go into your bank and cancel your DD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eeeks that's crap :(

Have you been paying this out for long ?

Apparently this so called company has been reported before.

Go into your bank and cancel your DD.

I think I've been paying this since August.:eek:
    That's £45 so far.
    Are you sure this is a scam ?
    I don't want to cancel my payments, only to have my Sky+ box "mysteriously" :rolleyes: break down the day after.
    I've never had to cancel a DD before. What do I take into my bank ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's £45 so far.
    I don't want to cancel my payments, only to have my Sky+ box "mysteriously" :rolleyes: break down the day after.

Just proof of your account status really. Thats all I've needed in the past. The actual name of who you're paying as well is helpful, especially if you've got a lot of DD on your account!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's £45 so far.

To be certain phone Sky and ask them do they know anything about this, but from what i have read it appears to most certainly be a scam.

Beware of who you give your bank details out to in future.

Just tell the bank the name of the DD you wish you cancel. From what i remember they'll get you to sign a form confirming that ( mine does anyway.) Take ID with you just in case you're asked for it.
  • Roger MoreRoger More Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tell the bank the name of the DD you wish you cancel. From what i remember they'll get you to sign a form confirming that ( mine does anyway.) Take ID with you just in case you're asked for it.
    Or do it online in a couple of minutes from the comfort of your home with none of that shenanigans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roger More wrote: »
    Or do it online in a couple of minutes from the comfort of your home with none of that shenanigans.

How do I do that please ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do I do that please ?

If you are HSBC, sign into your online banking, click on standing orders/direct debits, find the one you want to cancel, click on it, and cancel it. Done
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger More wrote: »

If he has online banking...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he has online banking...

Well, I check my account (Barclays) on my laptop every day, if that is "on-line banking" :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I check my account (Barclays) on my laptop every day, if that is "on-line banking" :confused:

So you check your bank account daily, but have only noticed today that you have been paying 2 lots of insurance ( I use that word loosely) ? :confused:
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    So you check your bank account daily, but have only noticed today that you have been paying 2 lots of insurance ( I use that word loosely) ? :confused:

He didnt say he only noticed today...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yea that's grand :D

I got this from the Barclay's website :

How can I amend or cancel a direct debit or Standing order?

You can set up and amend standing orders using Online Banking. A Direct Debit is actually set up by the company you're paying, once they have your agreement, so you cannot set them up or amend them online. You can view what Direct Debits and standing orders have been set up on your account using Online Banking - and you can cancel them too.

To view these, go to 'Change Payments' from the 'I Want To...' dropdown menu. You'll then be able to view a list of all the outstanding payments, standing orders and Direct Debits on the account you specify. From this list you can look at a specific Direct Debit, see when the last payment was made and cancel it. If you cancel a Direct Debit, you should also inform the company the Direct Debit is set up with.

Hope it helps!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMask wrote: »
    He didnt say he only noticed today...

Has been paying both of them since August, so plenty of time to notice, and do something about it.

But at least they have been noticed now, and hopefully stopped. I'm not holding any hopes on OP getting any money back, though.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, maybe the payment isn't taken via a direct debit. It could be a recurring debit card payment instead.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
    That's £45 so far.

Sky Protect is the genuine Sky product for extended warranties so only cancel the instruction for Sat Lite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    Has been paying both of them since August, so plenty of time to notice, and do something about it.

But at least they have been noticed now, and hopefully stopped. I'm not holding any hopes on OP getting any money back, though.

At a push, I can live with having lost the money so far.
    I don't want to pay any more money out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea that's grand :D

I got this from the Barclay's website :

How can I amend or cancel a direct debit or Standing order?

You can set up and amend standing orders using Online Banking. A Direct Debit is actually set up by the company you're paying, once they have your agreement, so you cannot set them up or amend them online. You can view what Direct Debits and standing orders have been set up on your account using Online Banking - and you can cancel them too.

To view these, go to 'Change Payments' from the 'I Want To...' dropdown menu. You'll then be able to view a list of all the outstanding payments, standing orders and Direct Debits on the account you specify. From this list you can look at a specific Direct Debit, see when the last payment was made and cancel it. If you cancel a Direct Debit, you should also inform the company the Direct Debit is set up with.

Hope it helps!

Thanks Lins, but I keep getting a message which says
    "Sorry - Barclays On Line Banking is currently unavailable"
    GRRRRRRRRR !
    So I'll be going to my branch tomorrow dinner time !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At a push, I can live with having lost the money so far.
    I don't want to pay any more money out.

If you gave the scammer your card details over the phone only they can cancel it, you can't.

You will have to cancel your card and get a new one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Sky Protect is the genuine Sky product for extended warranties so only cancel the instruction for Sat Lite.

I've never taken out Sky Protect. You can buy Sky boxes on Ebay for £20.

I always have a spare box ( dodgy electrics around here) and it takes a 5 minute phone call to match the card to the box.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,442
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't pay for extended warranty cover either. the most a sky engineer is going to charge is £60 - put whatever your monthly payment is for extended warranty to into a separate account - that way if something goes wrong you have the money there. If it doesn't nice little nest egg for Christmas at the end of the year - better in your bank than some companies one