Amazon axes free delivery

Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
Forum Member
From 7th of January 2014, Amazon as axed free delivery less items then £10.00

Do you think this is fair? or have they made the right decision? anyone else used free delivery?

It doesn't seem to bother me as everytime I buy a dvd I always select 1st class :)

Just want to hear some of your thoughts on this. :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    That was the best thing about Amazon. :(
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    They'll lose some business from people that only want a single cheap item and then cancel their order when they spot the delivery charge.

But they must have done their sums.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    off to ebay for the little things then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    They could have put their prices up to incorporate the delivery cost, so are still giving you the choice. I have a Prime membership so unaffected by this in any case, although the add-on programme is more of a problem for me, particularly when I pay £50 per year to get next day delivery. Amazon will know that some will upgrade to Prime as a direct result of this announcement anyway.
  • KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am gutted,I always liked Super Saver Delivery!
  • ToriamathToriamath Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well most of the things I buy on Amazon are around £10 or more as I tend to buy cheaper things on eBay but occasionally I do buy a cheap item on Amazon so it is a bit annoying.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it is to encourage more people to pay for Amazon Prime. I use Prime and consider it good value for money.

Anyway, I remember the early days of Amazon when they charged delivery on everything.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever spent less than £10 with them so it doesn't bother me.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the end of the world as we know it..:D
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been in the wind for a while.

Don't know how this will affect me atm, as most items I have bought tend to be over a tenner.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Basically they're just going back to their old model (though actually I think it was over £15 for super saver delivery at one point) and how many people actually spend less than £10 on there in one transaction these days?

I'm a Prime customer so it doesn't impact me, though. I pretty much do all my online shopping on there, and family members also get me to order them stuff (they pay!) just to use my free next day delivery. It's good value for money.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,564
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Basically they're just going back to their old model (though actually I think it was over £15 for super saver delivery at one point) and how many people actually spend less than £10 on there in one transaction these days?
    I often do, but it's usually £0.01 for a secondhand CD plus £1.25 delivery from their third party suppliers!
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm a Prime customer so it doesn't impact me, though. I pretty much do all my online shopping on there, and family members also get me to order them stuff (they pay!) just to use my free next day delivery. It's good value for money.

Why don't you send them an invite so that they can join your prime at no extra cost? There is a facility to do this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can share your Prime membership with others: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201277270
  • Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Removal of LVCR in '12 means as margins are squeezed, additional costs are passed back on the cosumer. Not a surprise really, its been coming now that Amazon have a stranglehold on the ecommerce market.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seldom spend less than £10. It's a waste of packaging to ship cheap items separately.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Why don't you send them an invite so that they can join your prime at no extra cost? There is a facility to do this.
    LostFool wrote: »
    You can share your Prime membership with others: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201277270

Thanks, I tried that a while back, but it didn't seem to work properly so I just set them up as alternative delivery addresses under my account.

I think that functionality is only for people who live in the same house as you.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other day I bought something and they gave me a few pick up points near me where they would deliver to. Will they also be charging for this?
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't share your Prime membership with your family if they don't stay in the same house as you.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen_Kent wrote: »

Do you think this is fair? or have they made the right decision? anyone else used free delivery?

It doesn't seem to bother me as everytime I buy a dvd I always select 1st class :)

Yes, I think it's perfectly fair on cheap items. It's unreasonable to expect them to subsidise customers to that extent.

By the way, do you have a link ?
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Maybe it is to encourage more people to pay for Amazon Prime. I use Prime and consider it good value for money.

Anyway, I remember the early days of Amazon when they charged delivery on everything.
    I suspect that is where Amazon want to take the future of retail - effectively paywalling shopping services just like Sky do for television, pay a subscription or don't get it. Amazon were really pushing Prime every time you order an item now and select any delivery option when I ordered items the other side of Christmas.

Amazon want you on Prime, and I suspect one day, they'll make it mandatory, effectively paywalling their service. For me, it'd work out more expensive as I order now and then as opposed to regularly as some people who have Prime appear to do.

ETA: If Amazon's plans to use drones gets off the ground (ha, ha, ha) then according to the Wall Street Journal, although this is the US, likely to be emulated if it comes to the UK, it'll only be available to Prime subscribers.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    I rarely order under £10 worth anyway as I tend to keep things in the basket and add to it.

If i want something small I usually need it quick so use Amazon marketplace or ebay, which both charge delivery anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't share your Prime membership with your family if they don't stay in the same house as you.

You can if you are happy for their orders to be sent to you. Not much use if you live hundreds of miles apart but it can be good if you are nearby and see each other regularly.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    realistically most things can be bought from an alternate seller and still come with free delivery.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen_Kent wrote: »

No, I have bought things for less than a tenner on Amazon. I loved their free delivery service.