Channel U to AKA and Fizz to Starz: The sloppiest rebrand ever?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 975
Forum Member
✭✭
The way that these two rebranded was so unorganised, it was like they were not really bothered about it.

Just a couple of things I noticed:
  • The the operator thing was still called fizz on the text message box
  • The websites for the competition were still saying www.fizzmusic.com
  • the XXX segment (for xplicit videos on channel U) was still called XXX U
they were just a few of the things i noticed about the changeover.

when the likes of uktv rebrand, they have websites setup weeks even months before the rebrand. there were actually people texting in confused about where fizz had gone::eek:

Comments

• TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are both crap channels anyway they always have technical faults and errors nearly all the time .
  • RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed they do. A shame, because Channel U (Channel AKA is a crap name) plays consistently great music.
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was like they were not really bothered about it
    when the likes of uktv rebrand, they have websites setup weeks even months before the rebrand
    Perhaps because they don't have the man-hours to roll out, what is a sudden change. I doubt they knew of this re-brand months ago. Let's see.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,704
    Forum Member
    All i want to know is why the use of channel in the names? Do they think their viewers are that stupid not know know they are watching TV?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This rebrand probably isn't something they wanted to do, and they didn't have very long to plan it either..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=31419367&postcount=4
  • markelliottmarkelliott Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I noticed this too. Whilst I'm not a fan of grime music, I've seen the odd one or two gems here and there on Channel U over the years. There was one track in paticular that was played a hell of a lot towards the end of 2004 which caught my attention. I can't remember what it was but it was done by a large crew, the video had some BMX bikers in a skate park, some guy rapping outside a pub and a young kid rapping in a subway. They each did their own segment of the track. Not the kind of thing I usually listen to, but it was actually quite good. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theyre just channel (brand) names though, not business names.
    brands get sold on all the time, & even taken over if the parent company goes bust.

though in this case, i doubt theyll last much longer anyway, cant be many costs to cut, & i wouldnt be surprised if the suppliers are now insisting on payment up-front
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person that has noticed that little red scribble next to the logo on 'AKA' looks a little bit like an f... ?
  • DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are both crap channels anyway they always have technical faults and errors nearly all the time .

Quite often i flick through that part of the EPG to find either one or both are down, usually when they crash the idiots are still texting in! Why can they not go watch a "working" channel?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange names to choose - AKA used to be a strand on Cartoon Network, and 'Starz' is an American movie channel.
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Starz' looks a right mess. Just put it on now, and it looks extemely cheap.
    On the right is the channel logo, and under that is the text number and cost, and the picture cost etc, over the textr and pic bit, every so often the channel logo keeps flashing over them. And the blue background does not go right to the edge of the screen.
    Also the actual picture underneath overlaps the cost of sending a pic.

OMG and now they are doing a comp, the voice over sounds like its some kid speaking into a £2 microphone. The sound is all over the place :eek:

I can't remember what it used to be like, and i know i am just nit picking really, but it makes the channel look so unprofessional.
    At least AKA looks better.

I miss Bubble Hits :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Since I don't have Sky, can someone post a screen shot of each channel please.
  • crabstercrabster Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It beggars belief why anyone would text into fizz/starz at £1 a text to chat like some people seem to do.

I watch it sometimes for a few mins just to see the ridiculous messages people text in... such a waste of credit.

Then there is the blatant use of messages from the “FIZMEISTER” like “WEST Ham are best, what team you support”?...Hang on FIZMEISTER, let me spend £1 on a text to let you know!

Come on people!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    senna123 wrote: »
    Since I don't have Sky, can someone post a screen shot of each channel please.

Hi,

Here are a couple of screenshots of Starz
    http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn53/tomo359/Starz.jpg

You can see the bits i pointed out in my last message
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Thank you!

I can see all of the problems you mentioned in your previous post!

Is Channel AKA any better?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    senna123 wrote: »
    Thank you!

I can see all of the problems you mentioned in your previous post!

Is Channel AKA any better?

Yes, sorry i didn't get any pics of that.
    Its full screen video on AKA, with the AKA logo in the top left hand corner.

It looks mucn much better than Starz. It looks more professional thats for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloppy re-brand for sloppy music. Channel U should be renamed Channel AKA Shit
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The frame has long had it's day.

Why not have Starz with a normal logo and small text box with all the texts like The Hits use to do and add pictures in.

The channel looks like very unprofessional.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Bump...

Had the misfortune of flicking past this channel at 7.15am this morning to discover that they appear to have been broadcasting what appeared to be their "XXX AKA" content!

Sunblock Baby Baby, topless version was played- pretty sure Ofcom might have something to say about that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member

Not really, in the daytime its garbage. But in the evening they have a request show where people can vote for old school tracks, these are the channels which don't show the mainstream repeats all the time which is why i like Channel AKA ( when the sound isnt fukd up ) ... and they keep the older proper hip hop music alive on TV.

Rather than the money fuelled MTV playlists 24/7
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel AKA has been good tonight a bit more mainstream like Kiss and Flava. They are going for more popular artists like Titchy Stryder, N-Dubz, and Dizzy Rascal.

Maybe they are moving off the garage obscure stuff to more R&B? Will also be interesting to see how there new rock channel does 'Lava' when it launches at the end of the month.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    k3ckham wrote: »
    The way that these two rebranded was so unorganised, it was like they were not really bothered about it.

Just a couple of things I noticed:
    • The the operator thing was still called fizz on the text message box
    • The websites for the competition were still saying www.fizzmusic.com
    • the XXX segment (for xplicit videos on channel U) was still called XXX U
    they were just a few of the things i noticed about the changeover.

when the likes of uktv rebrand, they have websites setup weeks even months before the rebrand. there were actually people texting in confused about where fizz had gone::eek:
    That web address forwards to www.starztv.co.uk now. Doesn't look very professional. Stretched photos and a plain white background with black writing. There's also a broken link to http://www.starztv.co.uk%20/