Options

BBC Radio 1 - New Weekend Breakfast Presenter ANNOUNCED

James.LewisJames.Lewis Posts: 43
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/06_june/05/dev.shtml

BBC Radio 1 has announced that Dev, who currently presents early breakfast on BBC 1Xtra, is moving across to Radio 1 to take on the weekend breakfast show.

Twenty-four-year-old Dev replaces Nick Grimshaw who has moved to evenings on the network.

Dev has been at 1Xtra since the station launched in 2002 – first presenting a Saturday show with Reggie Yates, and then hosting his own weekend show before early weekday breakfast.

Londoner Dev has been on the early shift for the past 18 months – and he's so passionate about music that he has fitted in a full-time college course in the subject at the same time!

Dev says: "This is a very exciting chapter in my broadcasting career and something I have been working hard towards. I'm over the moon about joining the Radio 1 family and look forward to brightening up peoples mornings on the weekend!"

Ben Cooper, Deputy Controller, Radio 1 and 1Xtra, says: "BBC 1Xtra is a fantastic place for new presenters to establish themselves and Dev has done just that. I'm keen for talent to grow on 1Xtra and move through to Radio 1 so I'm delighted to welcome him onboard."

Dev starts on weekend breakfast on Radio 1 in July.

It has also been announced that 1Xtra's Breakfast Show with Trevor Nelson and Gemma Cairney is set to kick off earlier. The show will be on air from 7.00 to 10.00am every weekday from July.

Ben Cooper adds: "By making the 1Xtra Breakfast Show start earlier, we're really hitting the breakfast audience. Trevor and Gemma provide a lively and entertaining start to the day, and this new time slot will enable them to reach a broader audience."

Notes to Editors
Nick Grimshaw is on Radio 1, Monday-Thursday, 10.00pm-12.00midnight; and co-hosts Switch with Annie Mac on Sundays, 7.00-10.00pm.

With the 1Xtra Breakfast Show starting at 7.00am (currently 8.00-11.00am), Rampage will be 10.00am-1.00pm; and Max 1.00-4.00pm.

Comments

• Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did he do smile in 2002 with reggie and fearne?
  • Options
    mj_32510mj_32510 Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonjons wrote: »
    did he do smile in 2002 with reggie and fearne?

Yes he did
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Did he own the shop on Coronation Street ?
  • Options
    SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I like the idea of using 1xtra as a training ground for Radio1. It makes a mockery of 1xtra as a standalone BBC radio network. But it also means that over time Radio 1 is going to turn into a version of 1xtra.

Also, when 1xtra DJs have sat in for Greg James, the music played has been noticably at the end of the R1 playlist which overlaps with 1xtra, which really doesn't appeal to me. I hope that in moving DJs across permanently they keep the existing music policy.
  • Options
    Dixie NormousDixie Normous Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Did he own the shop on Coronation Street ?

This ^^ :D
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure I like the idea of using 1xtra as a training ground for Radio1. It makes a mockery of 1xtra as a standalone BBC radio network. But it also means that over time Radio 1 is going to turn into a version of 1xtra.

There does seem to be a lot of nepatism at the BBC when it comes to using other stations as a step up to the presenters next move.

Simon Mayo - Radio 1 to 5 Live
    Colin Murray - Radio 1 to 5 Live
    Nihal - BBC Asain Network to Rado 1
    Dev - 1Xtra to Radio 1
    Russell Brand - 6Music to Radio 2

I am sure there are more that have made an immediate move within the BBC and I would hate to think that Dev will be allowed to play a similar playlist to that of 1Xtra:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What i do not like about this is:
    the music wll be dfiferent and loud; the talk is dif
    and it wont be what i would want to lsten to first thing wen i wake up
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Does this mean no big shake-up, where they get rid of Nihal and give Sara Cox a proper show? That's what I'd been hoping for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    october electronix
  • Options
    deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has also been announced that 1Xtra's Breakfast Show with Trevor Nelson and Gemma Cairney is set to kick off earlier. The show will be on air from 7.00 to 10.00am every weekday from July.

Ben Cooper adds: "By making the 1Xtra Breakfast Show start earlier, we're really hitting the breakfast audience. Trevor and Gemma provide a lively and entertaining start to the day, and this new time slot will enable them to reach a broader audience."

Seems to make sense - always wondered why 1Xtra's breakfast show starts and finishes an hour later than most other stations. Anyone know why?
  • Options
    mj_32510mj_32510 Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deepfroat wrote: »
    Seems to make sense - always wondered why 1Xtra's breakfast show starts and finishes an hour later than most other stations. Anyone know why?

Maybe they though their target audience for 1xtra would not be up that early.
  • Options
    StillStill Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    This isn't especially good news in my eyes.

Because now for weekend breakfast we have a choice of listening to 1xtra on 1xtra, 1xtra on Radio1 and 1xtra on 6Music.

I'm not sure when the postion of Weekend breakfast host got so devalued, but I can't think of a decent show since Kevin Greening on Radio 1 15 years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    Still wrote: »

Because now for weekend breakfast we have a choice of listening to 1xtra on 1xtra, 1xtra on Radio1 and 1xtra on 6Music .

Well maybe you should close your EYES and open your EARS!!! :confused:
    It's not 1Xtra output on Radio 1 and 6 Music, they just happen to be presenters on that station. Do you think when Christian o'Connell presented Fighting Talk on 5Live that he played Sterephonics and Queen like he did on Virgin/Absolute/whatever it's called this week? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    StillStill Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    It's not 1Xtra output on Radio 1 and 6 Music, they just happen to be presenters on that station. Do you think when Christian o'Connell presented Fighting Talk on 5Live that he played Sterephonics and Queen like he did on Virgin/Absolute/whatever it's called this week? :rolleyes:

Well my ears hear a very similar style of presentation, no matter what sort of music I wish to listen to when I wake up. A sort of presentation that I don't take to. The output of a radio station is more than just the music as you well know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still wrote: »

Because now for weekend breakfast we have a choice of listening to 1xtra on 1xtra, 1xtra on Radio1 and 1xtra on 6Music.

I'm not sure when the postion of Weekend breakfast host got so devalued, but I can't think of a decent show since Kevin Greening on Radio 1 15 years ago.

I'm not young enough to remember Greening, but I honestly can't think of a good weekend host. The ones I can remember are Spoony, Fearne and Reggie, Nihal and Nick Grimshaw. Radio appear to have just given up on the slot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I'm not young enough to remember Greening, but I honestly can't think of a good weekend host. The ones I can remember are Spoony, Fearne and Reggie, Nihal and Nick Grimshaw. Radio appear to have just given up on the slot.

True, Over the years R1 Weekend Breakfast does seem to be a bit of either a training slot or a demotion for previously higher profile DJs- I guess its not the most aspirational R1 show- those presenting over the last 10 years have either been on the way up the ladder or on the way out of the door...
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to say that I really liked Spoony in that slot, it also thought Fearne and Reggie were good as well tbh. Nihal :yawn: and I'm also a big Nick Grimshaw fan. I will deffo give Dev a chance.
  • Options
    SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But as I've previously said, when 1xtra presenters have sat in on Radio 1 earlies for Greg James, the music has been more RnB heavy than usual.
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But as I've previously said, when 1xtra presenters have sat in on Radio 1 earlies for Greg James, the music has been more RnB heavy than usual.

hmm fair enough on Radio 1 maybe (or is it confirmation bias?) but that is not true of Iyare on 6music at all, his show in nearly an exact clone of Natasha Desbrough's show, very much indie/alternative.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »
    october electronix

Ooh, is that a definite? Or at least a strong rumour?

The choice of Dev doesn't really seem very exciting. It's certainly not worth getting up for.