Wages advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
Forum Member
I was due to get paid Monday 31st May but this being a bank holiday i asked my work when i would get paid and the response was tuesday, but on thursday we received an email from our boss saying there was a problem with a large payment he had been expecting and it could drag on til 3rd or 4th of june :mad: and today we have been told if this payment hasn't arrived today we won't be paid this week!!!

Does anyone have any advice as i am running low on funds and the bank won't extend my overdraft, my work has said they will pay the charges but i don't want to default on payments. My bosses ( small company) don't seem to be trying any solutions to get us money and im very very annoyed.

Comments

• TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like your company is in financial trouble. I am sure they have tried everything to get your wages paid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    If they really are living "hand to mouth" like that then I'm sorry to say that the writing may well be on the wall. Sound like they are insolvent & can't meet their debts (inc. wages). Has this happened before?

Speak to ACAS for sensible employment advice;

http://www.acas.org.uk/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    its happened twice before but that was about 15 years ago, the company has been running for 20 years this year, im don't think we are in financial trouble as we got 2 new big government contracts this year so im not sure what they are playing at, im tempted to say i am not coming back to work until ive been paid
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you thought of asking your boss for a loan which you will return when the wages come through? Explain you want to do it that way so ift won't effect your credit record,
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimzy1986 wrote: »
    its happened twice before but that was about 15 years ago, the company has been running for 20 years this year, im don't think we are in financial trouble as we got 2 new big government contracts this year so im not sure what they are playing at, im tempted to say i am not coming back to work until ive been paid

Why would you think they are claiming not to have money to pay you if they really have? Seems a strange way to operate a business.
  • jojo the joyfuljojo the joyful Posts: 17,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would definitly contact ACAS.

A dear FM on here gave me that advice & loads more when a few years ago, thanks to a new computer system in the military, my hubby wasn't paid for 3 months:eek:

Luckily we had his graturity & pension to fall back on. But you need money now & should expect at leest enough to tie you over.

Also becareful of any direct debits you may have & be unable to pay etc because that will cost. Most companies are happy to defer payment for a week or two so contact them & bill your firm for the phone calls.

Good Luck
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimzy1986 wrote: »
    I was due to get paid Monday 31st May but this being a bank holiday i asked my work when i would get paid and the response was tuesday, but on thursday we received an email from our boss saying there was a problem with a large payment he had been expecting and it could drag on til 3rd or 4th of june :mad: and today we have been told if this payment hasn't arrived today we won't be paid this week!!!

Does anyone have any advice as i am running low on funds and the bank won't extend my overdraft, my work has said they will pay the charges but i don't want to default on payments. My bosses ( small company) don't seem to be trying any solutions to get us money and im very very annoyed.

Do you have a contract of employment indicating your pay day?