people think luke is fat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
Forum Member
i read a thread that said Luke looked he eat all the pies
Luke is not he may not be the skinniest person
so what if he was overweight its still wrong to make thread about a teenage child's weight

Comments

• big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It took you over 2 months to pluck up the courage to tell us that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    It took you over 2 months to pluck up the courage to tell us that?

i just came across the thread today and was horrified that people comment on a teeanage kid's weight
  • David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just came across the thread today and was horrified that people comment on a teeanage kid's weight

I was called fat at his age and I was thinner than Luke is now. And, for many of us, it was not that he was fat, but that he got fat. Given the work pressure and such and people in the house cooking healthy meals, how did he pack on so much padding? Given the hair, the clothes and the alleged musical influences it led some to speculate that he'd been getting the munchies.

Luke has put himself in the public eye - he will get stick. Some say we like to tear down our heroes, personally I prefer to have a pop or two when their on the way up.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He looked like he loved his pies while on the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were lots of comments about how he grew during the show!
  • Sarah_Smith10Sarah_Smith10 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I was called fat at his age and I was thinner than Luke is now. And, for many of us, it was not that he was fat, but that he got fat. Given the work pressure and such and people in the house cooking healthy meals, how did he pack on so much padding? Given the hair, the clothes and the alleged musical influences it led some to speculate that he'd been getting the munchies.

Luke has put himself in the public eye - he will get stick. Some say we like to tear down our heroes, personally I prefer to have a pop or two when their on the way up.

You keep posting mean comments about really good contestants like Luke and Abi!!!! :(
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 17 year old enjoys food...sounds perfectly normal to me :confused::cool:
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i read a thread that said Luke looked he eat all the pies
    Luke is not he may not be the skinniest person
    so what if he was overweight its still wrong to make thread about a teenage child's weight

& yet, you strangely felt compelled to do so....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You keep posting mean comments about really good contestants like Luke and Abi!!!! :(

Yes and no.

I have written mildly disparaging remarks about Ms Alton, but she's not good. Read my comments carefully and actually I'm just mocking her fans; is that you?

I've said nothing depracating at all about Master Friend; though he was quite good. He's fat, it's just a statement. If it bothered him, he'd lose weight.

I was a tad disparaging of Matt Cardle recently and he's the best singer I've seen on XF - so, in a wider context, you are right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedBecko wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

Read King Lear and consider the role of the fool...
  • teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's disgusting the way people continue to joke about it or defend their insults. I can guarantee that the maority of people calling Luke fat had a higher BMI than him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's disgusting the way people continue to joke about it or defend their insults. I can guarantee that the maority of people calling Luke fat had a higher BMI than him.

Maybe those "insults" are defensible.

My BMI is too high, but at 24 it is within the normal range. It was <22 this time last year, so I've put on weight too. Fire away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 25 years old (I've been on this forum for years so the nickname no longer fits) and I'm in recovery from anorexia binge burge subtype which I've suffered through for over 15 years.

Luke put himself on to the X Factor, fair enough. However, he is nowhere near what would be considered an unhealthy weight. What sort of impression are we giving to others in this country? Teenagers could be reading insults like this on the forum and twitter, picking up the wrong idea.

This is supposed to be a discussion board, but as the years go on it increases in the level of spite and hate. These insults aren't original or funny, they just create negitivity and if you want to put your name to that, David_Morgan, then fair enough, be very proud of yourself.
  • aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Luke live at G-a-y last week and he looked completely fine & healthy to me. Looking at his pics when he was younger it appears as though he is prone to putting on weight quite easily, however I do think he is quite wary of that - he said in the Heat magazine interview that he knows he's a chubby fella...I hope some of the "fat" remarks don't result in him going a overboard with it all, we know how words can be a rather powerful source on individuals.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to put that Lady Gaga Express Yourself rip-off song here.

Luke's had it easier than, say, Hannah, who has been called both fat and uncultured on DS. Heck, the hair jokes dried up when Luke washed his hair in front of the camera (see: Week 3). I'd like to feel bad but Luke's probably fine.

Also, Luke's in the public eye. If he can't handle the wrath of internet trolls, he's not meant to go far.

P.S. I've never called Luke fat.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I thought he looked fine. That was just his natural body shape and I don't think he looked unhealthy or uncomfortable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 25 years old (I've been on this forum for years so the nickname no longer fits) and I'm in recovery from anorexia binge burge subtype which I've suffered through for over 15 years.

Luke put himself on to the X Factor, fair enough. However, he is nowhere near what would be considered an unhealthy weight. What sort of impression are we giving to others in this country? Teenagers could be reading insults like this on the forum and twitter, picking up the wrong idea.

This is supposed to be a discussion board, but as the years go on it increases in the level of spite and hate. These insults aren't original or funny, they just create negitivity and if you want to put your name to that, David_Morgan, then fair enough, be very proud of yourself.

As I said, Luke is a lot chubbier than I was at his age; more than three decades ago. If Luke is now considered to be a fine-figured lad then we are all going to hell in a hand basket as the epidemic of obesity related illness becomes pandemic. If teenagers begin to think that being fat is unhealthy then that is as it should be.

Negative, yes, very good. This is the Internet - it's full of trolls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Luke "fat" or not ,which he isnt. As he said himself "girls dig the chub" :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedBecko wrote: »
    The word 'fat' is terrible, just terrible >:(

"Fat" is just a word; I'm, technically, not overweight, but call myself "fat".

There's many a chubster out there with an active social life and engaged in a relationship; I see this on the streets. There are slender people with complexes about how they look who hide away in lonliness; that's obvious from forums. Some people are screwed up and weight is one of the ways it manifests, but it is isn't the cause of their problems.

I accept that making people feel uncomfortable is not nice, but, as a nation, we are getting fatter and that is causing us huge problems and will cause us more. Should we not deal with this just because some are frightened of labels?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kangroo4 wrote: »
    I love Luke "fat" or not ,which he isnt. As he said himself "girls dig the chub" :p

Absolutely! Mr Friend seems to be attractive because he is confident in how he looks. He doesn't need to lose weight for the sake of appearance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said, Luke is a lot chubbier than I was at his age; more than three decades ago. If Luke is now considered to be a fine-figured lad then we are all going to hell in a hand basket as the epidemic of obesity related illness becomes pandemic. If teenagers begin to think that being fat is unhealthy then that is as it should be.

Negative, yes, very good. This is the Internet - it's full of trolls.

Obesity? He's probably at the end of his average BMI, he is nowhere near obese. That shouldn't relate at all. You can blame obesity on supermarket deals, takeaways, advertising, lack of exercise - but don't look to media representation because it's the unhealthy end of the scale which is more represented.

Yes, it is full of trolls and you seem to be just another one. It must be so great to have all this free time to troll, you're adding so much back to this forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obesity? He's probably at the end of his average BMI, he is nowhere near obese. That shouldn't relate at all. You can blame obesity on supermarket deals, takeaways, advertising, lack of exercise - but don't look to media representation because it's the unhealthy end of the scale which is more represented.

By the end of the series, I'd say Mr Friend had wobbled up toward the top end of the overweight category - BMI in the high twenties. Of course, the real figure is between him and his bathroom scales, but he was definitely outside of "normal". As to the causes of our obesity epidemic, you are right, there are many suspects - from high fructose corn syrup to our video game culture. Recent research suggests that young people are, in fact, expending as much energy as ever, but they are taking in around 200 calories a day more than children of thirty years ago; It soon adds up.
    ...you're adding so much back to this forum.

Thanks, I'm glad somebody noticed.
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he put on weight but it isn't overly noticeable unless there's a picture?
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be unflattering wardrobe?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe those "insults" are defensible.

My BMI is too high, but at 24 it is within the normal range. It was <22 this time last year, so I've put on weight too. Fire away.

I don't take any notice of BMI - it doesn't take the heaviness of a person's frame into account. At 5 ft 8 when we got married my husband was 12 stone 10 which was 'overweight' on the BMI scale - if he had been any thinner he would have been too thin. People take too much notice of BMI - if you eat healthily and are slightly over you acceptable BMI, who cares?

As regards Luke - I would have said he was stocky but a perfectly healthy size, and as for those that make comments I reckon they have something to hide themselves.
This discussion has been closed.