the Strictly "bounce"- who's careers have done the best out of appearing on Strictly

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
Who (contestants only- not pro's or presenters) have done the best out of an appearance on SCD?

It's often said that appearing on reality shows doesn't do celebs careers any good but I can think of a few for whom this is blatantly untrue.

The most obvious example of Alesha Dixon. Prior to the show she was a washed up pop star, almost forgotten, only getting attention for lurid tabloid headlines. After the show she was the UK's darling, she was able to (briefly)revive her music career (incl a Brits nomination) & got lucrative advertising jobs as well as roles as judge on SCD & BGT.

Her runner up Matt di Angelo also deserves a mention. Prior to SCD he completed an indistinguishable & possibly forgettable stint on Eastenders. The usual fate of the young pretty boy soap star seemed a real possilility, but SCD really bought him to the publics attention & made him more popular than he'd been on EE.
Shortly after SCD ended he landed the role of Sean on Hustle & this cemented his career. Whether hed have gotten this role without the SCD effect is subject to debate. But the SCD led higher profile probably helped.

In more recent times Susanna Reid's profile shot up after her appearance on the show.

Who else has really benefited??

Comments

• BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zoe Ball would get a mention don't you think?

She was off telly and off radio 1 when she took part and now has the Strictly gig on telly most nights during the run.

I suppose not the biggest gig but a big bounceback nonetheless.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I saw an interview with Jill Halfpenny where she said that Strictly changed her career and made people realised that she wasn't just a soap actress. After Strictly, she went on to star in Waterloo Road and In the Club and did lots of stage work.

Also, Ann Widdecombe went from political pariah to nation's sweetheart via an unforgettable samba.
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ISTR Matt Baker had been passed over for the job of One Show presenter after Adrian Chiles left because of doubts as to how popular he was and his existing commitments, and he got the job after Jason Manford left because Strictly showed he was popular and could juggle a heavy workload.

Less sure about Susanna - Good Morning Britain is well and truly in the toilet right now.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Her runner up Matt di Angelo also deserves a mention. Prior to SCD he completed an indistinguishable & possibly forgettable stint on Eastenders. The usual fate of the young pretty boy soap star seemed a real possilility, but SCD really bought him to the publics attention & made him more popular than he'd been on EE.
    Shortly after SCD ended he landed the role of Sean on Hustle & this cemented his career. Whether hed have gotten this role without the SCD effect is subject to debate. But the SCD led higher profile probably helped.

Ironically, Matt is now back in Eastenders :D

Think that most of the finalists from last year had a surge in their careers due to doing Strictly.

However, that is probably only a minor surge (just like poor Matt). Don't see the likes of Chelsee, Kara or Lisa (R.) starring in any major drama series soon.

In terms of reality tv shows, Myleene Klass is probably one of the best examples. Going from a washed up and literally beaten down popstar to a(n) (international) presenter, model and having a merchandise line (books, clothes etc.) is not too shabby.
  • LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,417
    Forum Member
    Kara Tointon was on the verge of giving up show business when she won.

Russell Grant came back out of the shadows and on a different note it didn't do Ann Widdicombe any harm either.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw an interview with Jill Halfpenny where she said that Strictly changed her career and made people realised that she wasn't just a soap actress. After Strictly, she went on to star in Waterloo Road and In the Club and did lots of stage work.

Also, Ann Widdecombe went from political pariah to nation's sweetheart via an unforgettable samba.

I must have missed that memo.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably Alesha. The WAG who won last year got an underwear contract lol
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kara is the one who seems to have benefited the most. She was excellent as Eliza Doolittle in Pygmalion in the West End. She has just recently finished filming Mr Selfridge where she plays Rosalie, the eldest daughter of the Selfridges with her own sister, Hannah, playing her sibling.
  • Mokey76Mokey76 Posts: 160
    Forum Member

Nope, I'm sure Widdecombe is still the vile hateful right wing scumbag she always was?
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree with the comments about the various actors because some might not have done as much varied acting as their soap stints before Strictly and now some of them have gone on to do more acting in theatre wher they've dance performed (on top of the acting). Tom chambers got Top Hat after Strictly which I'm sure being on the show dancing each week prior to getting that job must have be quite a valuable prerequisite to have to flag up to the producers doing the casting. And Kara, yes, great that Strictly prob helped her get her acting mojo back, because from interviews about her time in between leaving eastenders and doing strictly she didn't seem happy or inspired. But now she's done theatre (which from what I've heard she did well in) and the other non soap TV stuff too, so really happy for her (and the like such as her that find their paths again).

If I look at people like Frankie and Pixie this year, I could see them doing a cross over into theatre if their singing careers take a break or come to an end and they can maybe venture into that side of showbiz and be in some singing plus dancing productions. Strictly seems generally very good for singers and actors to do, as what they do already can lend itself to dance, or vice versa, in terms of doing performance typed jobs in tv/theatre.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelsee Healey is now in Casualty so is doing OK.

Few have done badly out of being on the show & much depends on a previous career.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see if Kelly's new sitcom makes her a ☆ in the States.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironically, Matt is now back in Eastenders :D

Think that most of the finalists from last year had a surge in their careers due to doing Strictly.

However, that is probably only a minor surge (just like poor Matt). Don't see the likes of Chelsee, Kara or Lisa (R.) starring in any major drama series soon.

In terms of reality tv shows, Myleene Klass is probably one of the best examples. Going from a washed up and literally beaten down popstar to a(n) (international) presenter, model and having a merchandise line (books, clothes etc.) is not too shabby.

Kara's going to be in that Mr Selfridge programme when it comes back for its next series.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strictly was a double edged sword for Susanna.

It raised her profile doubtless, but not necessarily in a good way.
    I personally had a fair bit of respect for her as a TV journalist, but she got right on my wick on Strictly.

The move to ITV might have got her out of the commute to Manchester ( and maybe a higher paycheque) butDaybreak has been a big flop and it's dragged SR down with it
  • spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aled Jones'career seemed to diversify after doing series 2 of Strictly, he's done loads of presenting and is about to go into the West End with Tom Chambers.

Denise Lewis, Colin Jackson, Gabby Logan are the main anchors for BBC Athletics coverage - all early Strictly contestants. Denise and Colin proved to be very popular as well as experts in their field so double win for the BBC.

Gethin Jones seemed to be everywhere after his series although I haven't seen much of him lately.

Mark Benton will be hosting a new daytime BBC quiz show soon (think they're currently filming it).

If you're popular on Strictly, it can lead to all sorts of possibilities with the BBC, which is why I can't understand why Christine Bleakley, Susanna Reid and now James Jordan would want to burn their bridges.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty certain it's Alesha. She got two big judging roles and endless other TV gigs (as well as a semi-successful music career!) off the back of it. Tom Chambers didn't do badly considering his level of fame before the show, either.
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sophie Ellis Bextor - in 2014 she earned her first top five album in over a decade, and first to go silver in that time too.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ricky Whittle seems to be doing well for himself in America.
  • JVSJVS Posts: 12,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think sometimes BBC employees are promised more work as a sweetener to coax them onto the show, Chris Hollins is a prime example. Even non-BBC employees like Alesha Dixon and Sophie Ellis Bextor have had their profiles raised courtesy of the corporation after the show finished.

Biggest winner, as somebody has already pointed out, is Russell Grant. He went from laying in bed all day, feeding his face and feeling depressed to appearing regularly on our screens and in our newspapers - mainly because he is remembered as laying on a tray while exiting the barrel of a polystyrene cannon.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mokey76 wrote: »
    Nope, I'm sure Widdecombe is still the vile hateful right wing scumbag she always was?

No. There is a whole bunch of much more vile hateful right wing scumbags around now that make her look like a liberal.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spider9 wrote: »
    Aled Jones'career seemed to diversify after doing series 2 of Strictly, he's done loads of presenting and is about to go into the West End with Tom Chambers.

Denise Lewis, Colin Jackson, Gabby Logan are the main anchors for BBC Athletics coverage - all early Strictly contestants. Denise and Colin proved to be very popular as well as experts in their field so double win for the BBC.

Gethin Jones seemed to be everywhere after his series although I haven't seen much of him lately.

Mark Benton will be hosting a new daytime BBC quiz show soon (think they're currently filming it).

If you're popular on Strictly, it can lead to all sorts of possibilities with the BBC, which is why I can't understand why Christine Bleakley, Susanna Reid and now James Jordan would want to burn their bridges.

She has not burnt any bridges. She will be back like Adrian Chiles.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot about Tom Chambers who appeared in Top Hat. He was also in Waterloo Road.

And, of course, Matt thingy who was in A Question of Sport.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a lot of examples here success or lack of it have had nothing to do with scd with a few notable exceptions - many just went back to what they were doing - thankfully
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    No. There is a whole bunch of much more vile hateful right wing scumbags around now that make her look like a liberal.

And some SCD contestants that make her look like a dancer? Well maybe not. :D
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    James Martin was one - he got Saturday Kitchen directly after Strictly and he's still doing it, that's a pretty good bounce. I'd agree on Aled Jones, Alesha, Tom, Zoe and also Matt Dawson.

With actors I find it hard to say because there are actors who have come out of soaps without doing something like Strictly, like Jill or Kara or Matt De Angelo, who get equally good parts. Maybe it gets them in a position where they can headline a theatre production and expect to get an audience, but I'm not sure they've done more on TV than they would have anyway. I think it can be better for actors if people have no strong image of what they're like 'as themselves' so it's a 50/50 benefit.

Mark Benton having a show is great news.