Marginal rate of VAT

smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
Forum Member
Can anyone advise me how this works in a gallery. If a gallery gets 30% commission on a work, is the VAT paid on the whole price or just the 30%, assuming the artist isn't VAT registered?

Comments

• Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Galleries and VAT
    Many galleries charge VAT on sales as a matter of course. This is quite wrong. VAT should be charged only when the seller is a person registered for VAT. Many galleries sell work for the artist as the artist's agent, which means that the seller is really the artist and not the gallery. It follows, therefore, that in such circumstances VAT should be charged only when the artist is a person registered for VAT purposes.

Of course, any commission charged to the artist by the gallery for its work as an agent is a VAT-able service and should be charged as such if the gallery is registered for VAT purposes. For example: artist consigns work to gallery to sell as artist's agent for £100 at 30% commission. Artist is not registered for VAT; gallery is registered for VAT. Purchaser pays £100 (no VAT). Gallery takes commission of £30 + £2.40p VAT.

If artist is registered for VAT and so is the gallery, then: Purchaser pays £100 + £8 VAT. Gallery takes commission of £30 + £2.40p VAT. Artist gets £75.60p.

It is, therefore, most important for artists and galleries to clarify their relationship at the outset; whether the gallery is acting as artist's agent or as seller in its own right.

I hasten to add that I'm not a VAT expert - but information can be found here.

http://www.artquest.org.uk/articles/view/vexing-art-toll-1
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion there will be two separate transactions if the gallery is acting as the artist's agent. The sale transaction is effectively between the artist and the buyer, and if the artist is not VAT registered no VAT should be charged. The commission is a separate transaction between the gallery and the artist and if the gallery is VAT registered VAT will be chargeable on the commission. Might be worth a call to HMRC VAT helpline to be certain.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the gallery is VAT registered but the artist is not then VAT should only be charged on the commission amount.

If both the gallery and artist were VAT registered then there would be two VAT levies; one on the sale price and one on the commission.

The gallery should enquire about your VAT registration status when you begin your relationship with them, and then you should keep them updated should your registration status change.

If an artist is not VAT registered then purchaser's of works sold on a commission basis should not be charged VAT even if the gallery is VAT registered.

(edit: beaten to it.)
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »

I found that article too, but stopped short of directly copying it as the original text is from 1979, so the VAT rates and calculations are no longer correct.
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    I found that article too, but stopped short of directly copying it as the original text is from 1979, so the VAT rates and calculations are no longer correct.

I an glad you dated that because I was getting anxious that 20% VAT on £30 is definitely not £2.40.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Thanks for advice. I've had a look at the sites and the HMRC site but feel I need to talk to an accountant to get the details right. I forgot to point out that I'm asking as the gallery owner, rather than the artist.

cheers
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine it depends who legally sells the piece, the gallery or the artist.

in which case, It's more a matter of administration based on that.

Generally, if you are selling to the public you would not want to charge VAT unless you really had to.

But surely the commission is paid by the artist to the gallery - not by the customer.