SNP watch

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Airam wrote: »
    It's certainly the reason why I don't frequent this thread much.

nor me, the two biggest thread hoggers have ruined it for the rest
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Good news. The people have won again - the Buchanan Street steps stay!
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,586
    Forum Member
    Which of course isn't remotely true, I am very critical of the SNP as they run my country in the main and I love the fact that we Scots are different.

Unlike some folk I can appreciate my country while also noticing the bits that could be improved upon. Being Scottish doesn't mean you have to run around shouting for independence and maintaining you are different in everything.

You are forever changing your tune. Loads of posts from you about how Scots are just the same as everyone else in the UK so make your mind up. As for your claim about appreciating your country and noticing that some things could be better is daft as nobody has claimed that the situation in Scotland is perfect or even close to that. As other folk have been saying this thread seems to be all about the ego and stubbornness of a couple of posters and frankly it is becoming downright boring and that is a shame but looks like the pedantic nit pickers have ruined it for everyone else
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    You not recently post a link to an article (which you advocated), that was suggesting that 'we Scots' aren't any different from the rest of the UK?

The use of 'we Scots' again. Akin to your use of 'as a Scot'. Haven't seen anyone else feel the need to point that out quite as much as you. Doth protest too much perhaps or just plain guilty conscience?

Still waiting to hear why you believe in a system where you think Scotland's MPs (for you - read SNP bad MPs) have no voice?

I don't believe in a system where Scotland's MPs have no voice?

Also, we Scots aren't very different from the rest of the UK population, why would you think we were?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    You are forever changing your tune. Loads of posts from you about how Scots are just the same as everyone else in the UK so make your mind up. As for your claim about appreciating your country and noticing that some things could be better is daft as nobody has claimed that the situation in Scotland is perfect or even close to that. As other folk have been saying this thread seems to be all about the ego and stubbornness of a couple of posters and frankly it is becoming downright boring and that is a shame but looks like the pedantic nit pickers have ruined it for everyone else

I never said that Scots weren't different. I say that we're not that different in our attitudes from the rest of the UK.

By nitpick I imagine you mean folk that challenge the SNP? If you all want that then why not just post on some pro SNP worshipping site?
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member

By nitpick I imagine you mean folk that challenge the SNP? If you all want that then why not just post on some pro SNP worshipping site?

They just want you to say what they want to hear Black Sheep.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,586
    Forum Member
    I never said that Scots weren't different. I say that we're not that different in our attitudes from the rest of the UK.

So in #2643 when you say you love how the Scots are different you were talking rubbish? By nit pick I mean exactly that and you are a master at it.
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COME ON ANDY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry wrong thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    So in #2643 when you say you love how the Scots are different you were talking rubbish? By nit pick I mean exactly that and you are a master at it.

Again, I've never said we weren't different, I've maintained that we aren't so different that we absolutely need to be an independent country. I do believe our values are not so different.

As for nitpicking, is it not a case that one persons nitpicking is another's counter argument? I suppose for example it's just nitpicking to demonstrate just how economically unsound some of the SNPs independence policies we're and it's also nitpicking to ask them for some policies in general?

When asking questions becomes nitpicking you kind of know that you've won an argument somewhere.
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Sorry, Black Sheep. I once thought you were genuinely seeking information to make a balanced decision.

Now you don't even recognise that your SNP bad rants are nitpicking to the point that you then tack infinitesimally and start the dog with a bone procedure again on repeat. I'm not sure I've witnessed you winning even one argument in the past two years!

I've tried to be civil and patient and answer your queries to the best of my ability and knowledge but I don't have enough hours in the day to 'chat' to someone who doesn't want to listen.

Therefore I'm putting you on ignore, the first DS poster I've ever given up on.
  • AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psy7ch wrote: »
    Just had a look at the post count for this thread :o

Black Sheep 494
    Brawlad 380
    Ashbourne 283
    thms 125
    Aidy 116
    MC_Satan 83
    Daewos 70
    Jenzen 62
    BillyJamesT 58
    smudges dad 58

Aye it used to be quite a good thread. :cry:
    Forum Member
    I haven't been that active, real life has been busy. That and it gets repetitive in here to the extreme.

On a semi-related note I was very relieved to see Patrick Harvie and the SGreens approach to FFA. Shame that Patrick has received so much flack for disagreeing with the SNP over it though.
    I thought this was a good article in the Scotsman today about it.
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/euan-mccolm-harvie-s-heresy-should-force-snp-rethink-1-3821818
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    I haven't been that active, real life has been busy. That and it gets repetitive in here to the extreme.

On a semi-related note I was very relieved to see Patrick Harvie and the SGreens approach to FFA. Shame that Patrick has received so much flack for disagreeing with the SNP over it though.
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/euan-mccolm-harvie-s-heresy-should-force-snp-rethink-1-3821818
    much of the flack probably due to timing ... so soon after all the useful/helpful amendments to Scotland act got shot down in commons
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he got the flack because a lot of SNP voters assumed he was for FFA and were going to give the Scottish Greens their second vote.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The article gives the impression for most of it length that the Greens disagreed with FFA...

But ultimately reveals that..

"Harvie’s opposition to FFA comes from a different place to the unionist parties’ opposition. The Tories, Labour and Liberal Democrats think it’s too risky while the Greens think it’s not bold enough."

:D
    Forum Member
    thms wrote: »
    The article gives the impression for most of it length that the Greens disagreed with FFA...

But ultimately reveals that..

"Harvie’s opposition to FFA comes from a different place to the unionist parties’ opposition. The Tories, Labour and Liberal Democrats think it’s too risky while the Greens think it’s not bold enough."

:D

Not really, second paragraph:-

This was a fascinating marriage of convenience. While the SNP might talk a radical game, the party is generally cautious. Its desire, in the event of a Yes vote, for currency union with the rest of the UK, stood testament to that. The Greens, on the other hand, are all about the radical. Harvie’s preference was for Scotland to tear things up and start again with its own currency.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    I think he got the flack because a lot of SNP voters assumed he was for FFA and were going to give the Scottish Greens their second vote.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Many SNP supporters now seem to think he is some kind of traitor because he has differing views and policies.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Mr Salmond was not too clever on the Sunday Politics today. I do think there might be just a little dislike between Andrew and Alec.

They really should just leave Alec to the brag and bounce stuff and let Nicola to do the serious talking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, second paragraph:-

This was a fascinating marriage of convenience. While the SNP might talk a radical game, the party is generally cautious. Its desire, in the event of a Yes vote, for currency union with the rest of the UK, stood testament to that. The Greens, on the other hand, are all about the radical. Harvie’s preference was for Scotland to tear things up and start again with its own currency.

Harvie doesn't want FFA. He has stated that as long as we remain in the Union some form of Barnet formula needs to be retained.

https://commonspace.scot/articles/1042/patrick-harvie-questions-snp-full-fiscal-autonomy-policy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wants FFA with a central bank. As part of the process towards independence it makes sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wants FFA with a central bank. As part of the process towards independence it makes sense.

Yes I agree with him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    Mr Salmond was not too clever on the Sunday Politics today. I do think there might be just a little dislike between Andrew and Alec.

They really should just leave Alec to the brag and bounce stuff and let Nicola to do the serious talking.

Andrew was an ill mannered arse as per today.
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    much of the flack probably due to timing ... so soon after all the useful/helpful amendments to Scotland act got shot down in commons

The flack was due to his rather smart ass tweet that attemted to compare the Scottish economy with Greece.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    Andrew was an ill mannered arse as per today.

4 times
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 times

He thinks he's being "cutting edge" when it's just sheer ignorance.
This discussion has been closed.