Options

How close is The European Union to Statehood?

1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking at the eight points below some of the criteria has definately been met.

Here are the Eight criteria that must be met for a sovereign country to be recognised as such.

1. Has space or territory that has
internationally recognized boundaries
(boundary disputes are OK).

2. Has people who live there on an
ongoing basis.

3. Has economic activity and an
organized economy. A country regulates
foreign and domestic trade and issues
money.

4. Has the power of social
engineering, such as education.

5. Has a transportation system for
moving goods and people.

6. Has a government that provides
public services and police power.

7. Has sovereignty. No other State
should have power over the country's
territory.

8. Has external recognition. A
country has been "voted into the club"
by other countries.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id argue it has definately acheived confederate status.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1TrueNorth wrote: »
    Id argue it has definately acheived confederate status.

It has for sure.

The next logical step for those with monetary union is political union in a EU of region states that may seem far fetched but that can be the only conclusion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has for sure.

The next logical step for those with monetary union is political union in a EU of region states that may seem far fetched but that can be the only conclusion.

The pound is badicly pegged to the euro http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011/10/17/british-pound-tied-to-the-euro-like-it-or-not/

and a monetary union does not neccesarily share a currency.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/currency-union.asp

Britain is in a currency union in all but name with the eurozone.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pound is badicly pegged to the euro http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011/10/17/british-pound-tied-to-the-euro-like-it-or-not/

Yes the currency is sort of pegged to the Euro in the fact that if the Euro economy goes belly up sterling would get hit as its economic ties with the EU would make it vulnerable to fluxating.

Monetary union does not have to share a currency but as we saw with John Majors policy of exchange rate mechanism that could end in disaster.

However i do believe that the EU will try to have political union next in my view it will be defence integration with the costs ever spiralling and countries unable to fund it properly, witness the UKs aircraft carriers at present without aircraft.:o

A EU army cant be far away otherwise all the evidence points to a very weak position of defence being left to individual countries.

Who may not be willing to spend on the necessary equipment.
  • Options
    Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However i do believe that the EU will try to have political union next in my view it will be defence integration with the costs ever spiralling and countries unable to fund it properly, witness the UKs aircraft carriers at present without aircraft.:o

Political and a common defense policy were bandied about in the early 1950`s when the future EU was called the European Coal & Steel Communities but was dropped due to the fact that it was deeply unpopular. How times have changed. :confused:
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will NEVER EVER become a "state"
    because it isn't america .....
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Fairly close but there is still much resistance and divided opinion.
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    will NEVER EVER become a "state"
    because it isn't america .....

I think you've misunderstood the definition of "state" and what America is.... the "United States of America" is a federal union of 50 states, which have their own laws/regulations and state governance over certain matters, think of the US state laws as "devolved matters" in place in Scotland, Wales and NI - certain matters are handled at federal level, some are handled directly at state level

the UK is not a sovereign country whilst being subjected to supranational EU law - we have to leave the EU to regain full sovereignty

but we already ARE a "state" within the EU, because we signed up to join the EEC/EU so we are subject to EU laws, and since the EU is effectively an internationally recognised body, Europe/the EU is already seen (by the US) as a body of states so we're already there, it's just not talked about because the people don't WANT this to ever happen
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I'd say it is about one referendum result away from never becoming one.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it isn't. The base rate in the UK is determined by the British government and the exchange rate with the euro is determined by the market.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member

But we have an exchange rate with the dollar too, so therefore are 'pegged' to it.

Are we the 51st state after all?
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we where getting close to a United States system.
    I am not so sure the will is there right now.
    We have the trouble with Greece. Britain to hold a referendum. and a few other countries looking at their position within the EU.
    Then we have those who never joined but pay their money and obey EU laws who are not very happy with some of the things they have been directed to do.
    So closer union I don't know it could just as well fall apart if the Greeks and the British are seen to be doing a lot better independently .
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will NEVER EVER become "one single state"
    EVER