Freeview PVR (Thomson DHD4000 PVR)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now looking to upgrade my hard drive. Does anyone know where I can find a Samsung SV1203N? This is the drive I'd like to go for, but it's very difficult to source. Microwarehouse used to do it, but now they've changed to a different company name and appear not to sell it anymore.

Can anyone help me?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Sebby* wrote:
    I'm now looking to upgrade my hard drive. Does anyone know where I can find a Samsung SV1203N?

I'm sure you realise this is an 80Gb drive.

Maybe the following should be on the "Upgrading Thomson HDD..." thread, but FWIW, I've been compiling a list of HDDs and their specs, and have come up with the following list. Not at all sure how the formatting will work on this table (need mono-spaced font), so I'm sorry if it looks ragged (just previewed it, and it looks like all duplicate white space gets parsed out).

Make Model Capacity RPM Cache disks/heads 5V 12V seek r/w idle standby spin-up(max)
    (Gb) (Mb) (current - A) ( power - Watts ) (current mA)
    Seagate ST340015ACE 40 7200 2 1/1 1.2 2.0 7.3 6.6 5.0 1.5
    Seagate ST3120022A 120 7200 2 2/3 0.0 2.8 12.5 12.0 7.5 0.9
    Seagate ST3120026A 120 7200 8 2/3 0.0 2.8 12.5 12.0 7.5 0.9
    Seagate ST3160021A 160 7200 2 2/4 0.0 2.8 12.5 12.0 7.5 0.9
    Seagate ST3160023A 160 7200 8 2/4 0.0 2.8 12.5 12.0 7.5 0.9
    Samsung SV1203N 80 5400 2 7.0 6.4 5.5 0.4 670(2390)
    Samsung SP1203N 120 7200 2 2/4 4.5 6.0 4.8 0.5 750(2060)
    Samsung SV1204H 120 5400 2 2/4 4.5 6.0 4.5 1.0 750(1800)
    Samsung SP1213N 120 7200 8 8.6 7.1 7.0 0.5 780(2250)
    Samsung SP1604N 160 7200 2 2/4 4.5 6.0 4.8 0.5 750(2060)
    Samsung SP1614N 160 7200 8 8.6 7.1 7.0 0.5 780(2250)

Standard drive is at the top for reference. I'm afraid my physics is too rusty to try to do a direct comparison between manufacturers - I'm sure there are folks on DS who are more qualified than I am who could do that. Maybe someone can volunteer to keep a table like this up to date with some more meaningful comparative stats? I'm sorry, my Mum always told me never to volunteer :) .

BTW, for anyone thinking of changing the fan, I would recommend looking at http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk She sells the excellent, good quality, quiet Panaflo fans - and is very pleasant to deal with.

Ashley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ash_earwig wrote:
    I'm sure you realise this is an 80Gb drive.
    I think you've made a mistake. :o

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/SpinPointVSeries/HardDiskDrive_SpinPointVSeries_SV1203N.htm

Thanks for all the info. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Sebby* wrote:
    I think you've made a mistake.

You're quite right - it did seem to go against the Samsung naming convention :o . However, in my defence (shaky, I know), I used this URL: http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=SV1203N

BTW, the Samsung SP1604N has similar current/power requirements (but 7200, not 5400 rpm) and - if they ever get it back in stock - will be very cheap from: http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/sp1604n

Of course, if Samsung can't even get the disk capacity right on their website, then heaven knows if any of the other figures are correct :(

Ashley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ash_earwig wrote:
    You're quite right - it did seem to go against the Samsung naming convention :o . However, in my defence (shaky, I know), I used this URL: http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=SV1203N
    Fair enough. ;)
    ash_earwig wrote:
    BTW, the Samsung SP1604N has similar current/power requirements (but 7200, not 5400 rpm) and - if they ever get it back in stock - will be very cheap from: http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/sp1604n
    I really want a 5400rpm drive. I think I'd be silly to put a 7200rpm drive in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I have recently purchased a Thomson, and am having some signal problems with C4, 5, ABC and a couple of others.
    I had similar problems with my last cheapo STB, but they were easily evaded by simply sticking a vhs tape between my TV and the box (don't know why this helped, but it did).

Now with the Thomson it's much more difficult to avoid the problem - any way I place the box, it's difficult to get a good signal.
    Is this something that a simple booster might help with? I'm really not sure why it's so much worse with the Thomson than it was with the last box...

Thanks in advance for any help,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    I have the SV1203N has worked fine with the Thomson although disk activity is loud :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CupraPhill wrote:
    I have the SV1203N has worked fine with the Thomson although disk activity is loud :cry:
    Where did you get it?
    Forum Member
    Ebay, brand new
  • Edward DrexelEdward Drexel Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I'd be interested if anyone has tried the "Ultima" 120GB 5,400 rpm widely available for £49.99 over the counter at "The Computer Shop" chain, and also here:

http://www.thecomputershop.co.uk/show_prod.php?prodid=5257

Is it noisy?

(ab)
  • jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CupraPhill wrote:
    Did you put it in quiet mode with the Samsung utility ?
    Forum Member
    jswift909 wrote:
    Did you put it in quiet mode with the Samsung utility ?

no, i tried this last night but the utility wasnt detecting the drive :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote:
    A lot of people here would appreciate it if you could tell us the exact model number, if only because there seems to be some voodoo involved in finding drives that work reliably 24/7.

HITACHI 7K250 120GB 8.5MS 7200RPM 8MB UDMA100

Didn't bother putting the exact spec on the board as it is mentioned on the HD upgrade thread. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    PugRallye wrote:
    I think it was something like this :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37057&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=4&doy=9m2

But it also had a handy little "add-on" cable that would reduce the speed of the fan.

Thank you!
  • iiyama17iiyama17 Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recorded sound quality???

Ok, nothing to do with momentary drop outs in sound - I've proven this was due to my central heating. Heating ON and I get drop outs on live and recorded programmes - Heating OFF and there's no problem!

Anyhow, on playback of recorded programmes, the sound appears a bit odd, almost like it is MONO. I'm sure I've seen a reference to this on one of the DHD4000 boards but I can't find it now. Has anyone else got/had this problem and do you know if there is a work around?

By the way, it's nothing to do with leads etc because the sound is fine when watching broadcasts 'live'.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    iiyama17, this is on the software upgrade thread as well.
  • iiyama17iiyama17 Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote:
    iiyama17, this is on the software upgrade thread as well.

Correct! That's because there are so many different Thomson threads and I imagine whoever wrote the original report might not have time to view them all. I know I no longer do so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be a thicko :o but just befor I order one of these can someone explain how & what I would need to record off the thomson to a dvd via my panasonic recorder, hope this is possible but I am getting really confused with all of the wires :eek:
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    mrme wrote:
    Sorry to be a thicko :o but just befor I order one of these can someone explain how & what I would need to record off the thomson to a dvd via my panasonic recorder, hope this is possible but I am getting really confused with all of the wires :eek:

I don't know what your Panasonic recorder has.

Look for a big rectangular black connector called a SCART. There's nothing else quite like it so you can't really mix it up.

If it has one of those, you're all set.
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote:
    I don't know what your Panasonic recorder has.

Look for a big rectangular black connector called a SCART. There's nothing else quite like it so you can't really mix it up.

If it has one of those, you're all set.

ok ok, if its that simple, I am really confused with setting all of this up as my tv doesn't have a scart - I am using a joytech av control centre. Can I just forget about all of the other equipment, plug the thomson into the joytech via s video then run a scart from the thomson to the recorder?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrme wrote:
    ok ok, if its that simple, I am really confused with setting all of this up as my tv doesn't have a scart - I am using a joytech av control centre. Can I just forget about all of the other equipment, plug the thomson into the joytech via s video then run a scart from the thomson to the recorder?
    Yep, that should work fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Hi Cuprahill, when you tried Samsungs HUTIL you have to ensure you boot the PC into DOS, and not run the util from a DOS box within WinXP... all you need to do is generate a boot disk by selecting the A drive, right click and select format, then select make boot disk.... then ensure you boot from theh floppy... done :) oh and make sure you copy the util onto the floppy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    From the HDD list I can say from experience that neither of the Samsung 160G HDD worked for me :( but the 120G 2MB or 8MB worked very welll :D
    Forum Member
    Hi Cuprahill, when you tried Samsungs HUTIL you have to ensure you boot the PC into DOS, and not run the util from a DOS box within WinXP... all you need to do is generate a boot disk by selecting the A drive, right click and select format, then select make boot disk.... then ensure you boot from theh floppy... done :) oh and make sure you copy the util onto the floppy.

DOH! I was trying from the DOS prompt! Will try this tonight!
    Forum Member
    Sebby* wrote:
    Yep, that should work fine.

Thankyou, just ordered :D