Vegetarian mother told to let son see meat-eater father or risk losing custody

Comments

• SnowfairySnowfairy Posts: 7,622
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I think parents should expect their children to want to try new things, if the child decides hey I would quite like to try some meat, then they should be allowed to.

I agree (providing the child is old enough to be allowed to make their own food choices when away from home) - but only on the condition that the child is first told exactly what it is they are choosing to eat. Faced with the knowledge that their choice is between eating their tortured and murdered animal friends' bodies, (most children are encouraged to and indeed do love animals) or a tasty vegan alternative, I can't imagine that they would choose the former.

And if being honest about where their 'food' comes from is something we are too uncomfortable with to contemplate telling our young children, well, that speaks volumes really, doesn't it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Snowfairy wrote: »
    I agree (providing the child is old enough to be allowed to make their own food choices when away from home) - but only on the condition that the child is first told exactly what it is they are choosing to eat. Faced with the knowledge that their choice is between eating their tortured and murdered animal friends' bodies, (most children are encouraged to and indeed do love animals) or a tasty vegan alternative, I can't imagine that they would choose the former.

And if being honest about where their 'food' comes from is something we are too uncomfortable with to contemplate telling our young children, well, that speaks volumes really, doesn't it...

And then ask them which they would prefer, successful and well researched medication which was forcefully tested on animals by torturing them, making them sick, blind and eventually seeing what makes them die a painful death... or the 100% animal free alternative medication made of sap from a willow tree and a hint of lavender, I also can't imagine they'd choose the former.

That's a loaded option. How about telling them what benefits the meat has per 100kg in comparison to vegetables, teaching them ethical meat choices instead, and let them make the decision that way?
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

^^^^
    This rubbish is why vegetarians are hated.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    ^^^^
    Why is it rubbish?
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    It's like another case, someone I know- the son gets excema, and the mother therefore has to be strict on what he eats- as that has an effect in some way. But the dad doesn't respect that, and the son comes back in excema.

Which case is that then? :cool:
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Well we're going to have different intepretations here.

But it's not necessarily that she's 90% looking after the child, but if the mother is insistant she wants to keep her son/daughter vegetarian, then why not respect that?

How else can you interpret it? "A vegetarian mother who stopped her son from seeing his father for a year in case he was fed meat has been told to let them see each other or risk losing custody.

The unnamed woman said she had legitimate concerns that the strict vegetarian diet of her five-year-old son would compromised."

Why do you not suggest the father's views are respected? The child is his too.
  • SnowfairySnowfairy Posts: 7,622
    Forum Member
    FirstChibi wrote: »
    And then ask them which they would prefer, successful and well researched medication which was forcefully tested on animals by torturing them, making them sick, blind and eventually seeing what makes them die a painful death... or the 100% animal free alternative medication made of sap from a willow tree and a hint of lavender, I also can't imagine they'd choose the former.

That's a loaded option. How about telling them what benefits the meat has per 100kg in comparison to vegetables, teaching them ethical meat choices instead, and let them make the decision that way?

Essential medication is a whole separate issue from the choices we make about what to eat or feed our children though. No one needs to eat animals, but some people do need to take medication (ironically, very often because of what eating animals does to our bodies!) and so don't have a realistic choice in the matter, as these drugs will all have involved the torture and murder of animals whether the patient agrees with this or not. That's not to say that animal testing of drugs is necessary, nor even useful in treating/finding cures for human disease, as I strongly disagree that it is either, but that is for another thread.

Personally, I don't believe that eating animals has any benefits in comparison to vegetables, health or otherwise (on the contrary, 'meat' and other animal 'products' are increasingly being shown to be detrimental to human health, let alone the planet!), but even if you believe differently, it is a fact that there is no essential nutrient that our bodies cannot obtain from eating a plant-based diet, so eating animals is not only horrifically cruel but also entirely unnecessary.

And what exactly are these "ethical meat choices" of which you speak? Do you mean such as only eating those animals who willingly choose to give up their lives/families/bodies/all natural instincts and desires just so that you can enjoy the taste of their flesh in your mouth for a few moments? If so, please produce evidence of these most generous animals, (pictured looking forward to their deaths in the slaughterhouse, perhaps?) as I have yet to see proof that any such beings exist. Oh - I can show you a video of so-called "humane slaughter" if you like... I must warn you though - it will probably put you (or especially, any young children watching) right off your dinner...
    Forum Member

:D:D.
    Forum Member
    ^^^^

Vegetarians are hated?

Wow.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Essential medication is a whole separate issue from the choices we make about what to eat or feed our children though. No one needs to eat animals, but some people do need to take medication (ironically, very often because of what eating animals does to our bodies!) and so don't have a realistic choice in the matter, as these drugs will all have involved the torture and murder of animals whether the patient agrees with this or not. That's not to say that animal testing of drugs is necessary, nor even useful in treating/finding cures for human disease, as I strongly disagree that it is either, but that is for another thread.

Personally, I don't believe that eating animals has any benefits in comparison to vegetables, health or otherwise (on the contrary, 'meat' and other animal 'products' are increasingly being shown to be detrimental to human health, let alone the planet!), but even if you believe differently, it is a fact that there is no essential nutrient that our bodies cannot obtain from eating a plant-based diet, so eating animals is not only horrifically cruel but also entirely unnecessary.

And what exactly are these "ethical meat choices" of which you speak? Do you mean such as only eating those animals who willingly choose to give up their lives/families/bodies/all natural instincts and desires just so that you can enjoy the taste of their flesh in your mouth for a few moments? If so, please produce evidence of these most generous animals, (pictured looking forward to their deaths in the slaughterhouse, perhaps?) as I have yet to see proof that any such beings exist. Oh - I can show you a video of so-called "humane slaughter" if you like... I must warn you though - it will probably put you (or especially, any young children watching) right off your dinner...

Just thought I'd highlight this bit. Just in case anyone's thinking of taking the rest of your post seriously.:rolleyes:
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    TBH, when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a case where the kid was in poor health cos the mother insisted on a veggie diet but it's not even anything as ambiguous as that.

It's just a mother finding a ridiculous excuse not to let the child see the other parent.

Kinda makes you wonder about the mentality of the mother too.
    I mean, surely if she thinks she's done a good job of instilling her own values in the kid (as opposed to simply refusing to let the kid eat meat) then the kid won't ever want to eat meat?
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Just thought I'd highlight this bit. Just in case anyone's thinking of taking the rest of your post seriously.:rolleyes:
    No problem for me in taking that post seriously.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    No problem for me in taking that post seriously.

Then you have my sympathy.:)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Then you have my sympathy.:)

But not your bacon sandwich though. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    She is such an embarrassment and if she loses custody I'll be drinking my strawberry daiquiris.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter and granddaughters are vegetarian The children's dad is a meat eater but think its great they are vegetarian as he thinks its much healthier and he enjoys eating vegetarian meals most of the week.

Then he says something really stupid that worries my daughter
    "I cant wait till I take the girls out when they are a bit older and we all have a burger" :confused::eek:

My daughter does worry ( not overly worry but just in passing) when he says things like this. I am a meat eater and my daughter knows no way would I go against her wishes when taking them out.
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    My daughter and granddaughters are vegetarian The children's dad is a meat eater but think its great they are vegetarian as he thinks its much healthier and he enjoys eating vegetarian meals most of the week.

Then he says something really stupid that worries my daughter
    "I cant wait till I take the girls out when they are a bit older and we all have a burger" :confused::eek:

My daughter does worry ( not overly worry but just in passing) when he says things like this. I am a meat eater and my daughter knows no way would I go against her wishes when taking them out.

So it's your daughters wishes and not your granddaughters wishes?
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    So it's your daughters wishes and not your granddaughters wishes?

The eldest is only 21mths and funny enough when me and her go for lunch and I order meat and something veggie for her she never asks for my food and yet will always ask for some of mine when I order a veggie meal for myself. Its very odd like she knows what it is. I know she doesn't but she has never asked for anything of my plate that is meat.

When they get older and if they want to eat meat then it will be their choice, at the moment its my daughters choice as she does the cooking.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please don't procreate, poor babbies!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be up to the child to decide what to have to eat and be given all the info needed to make a choice - if it chooses not to be one or the other that is it's choice.

Otherwise If either parents are forcing the child to do one or the other - that is called INDOCTRINATION and we have plenty of that going on in the world.

WE are both meat eaters but our daughter has been veggie for a year now - that is her choice and she as an individual should be free to do that. So IMO the judge is absolutely right in this case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

wow......
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    FirstChibi wrote: »

A lot do chose the former though

I meant to quote the one about murdered animals vs vegan food. Sorry
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    It should be up to the child to decide what to have to eat and be given all the info needed to make a choice - if it chooses not to be one or the other that is it's choice.

Otherwise If either parents are forcing the child to do one or the other - that is called INDOCTRINATION and we have plenty of that going on in the world.

WE are both meat eaters but our daughter has been veggie for a year now - that is her choice and she as an individual should be free to do that. So IMO the judge is absolutely right in this case.

Force is a spin though. If a family sit down for tea and one parent or other is responsible for that- it simply is this is the meal I've done you. It's the same as a family that try to ensure their kids eat relatively healthily. That isn't indoctrination.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The eldest is only 21mths and funny enough when me and her go for lunch and I order meat and something veggie for her she never asks for my food and yet will always ask for some of mine when I order a veggie meal for myself. Its very odd like she knows what it is. I know she doesn't but she has never asked for anything of my plate that is meat.

When they get older and if they want to eat meat then it will be their choice, at the moment its my daughters choice as she does the cooking.

As the other parent, is it not the children's dads choice if he wants to take them out for a burger then? If your daughter is not forcing her choice to be a vegetarian on the children and it's just because she does the cooking then surely she shouldn't be worried that later their dad might want to take them out for the occasional burger meal, should they want it.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    As the other parent, is it not the children's dads choice if he wants to take them out for a burger then? If your daughter is not forcing her choice to be a vegetarian on the children and it's just because she does the cooking then surely she shouldn't be worried that later their dad might want to take them out for the occasional burger meal, should they want it.

Yes that doesn't add up does it?