Bin Lorry Crashes Into Pedestrians - Glasgow

Comments

• stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This police officer that is giving the information on BBC news looks very emotional and upset. Must be very difficult scenes for the emergency services to see.

I think people forget that the police, paramedics , fire officers, etc., can get emotional too. They have to deal with horrific and tragic things on a daily basis, and remain professional but there are some incidents which are so upsetting that it is simply not possible to remain unaffected
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This police officer that is giving the information on BBC news looks very emotional and upset. Must be very difficult scenes for the emergency services to see.

I feel many forget how distressing it must be for the Emergency Services. I admire them greatly, it's not a job I could do.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Just interviewing some idiot on Sky News.

Reckons the lorry was going "70-100mph" and started going on about "could be terrorist incident". Then he seemed to get cut off somehow!!! :confused:

It's possible that people may have initially assumed it was some sort of act of terror, particularly after what happened in Dijon just yesterday.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2882906/Islamic-convert-shouting-God-greatest-injures-13-people-driving-crowds-French-city.html
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    Heartbreaking. Just watching on the news, a witness says it was travelling around 70 to 100mph.

That's horrific. I feel so much for the injured and the families who lost their loved ones.

There seems reports that the bin lorry driver suffered a heart attack? I hope he's all right. Well, actually, if he does survive his heart attack, he'll be devastated when he learns what happened. Poor sod.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people forget that the police, paramedics , fire officers, etc., can get emotional too. They have to deal with horrific and tragic things on a daily basis, and remain professional but there are some incidents which are so upsetting that it is simply not possible to remain unaffected

I've just typed similar, agree with your post.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    Heartbreaking. Just watching on the news, a witness says it was travelling around 70 to 100mph.

it does indeed sound as if something happened to the driver and his foot just jammed on the accelerator
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Had a look on google maps. There's no way it could have went that far down a busy street without the driver being in control of it.
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    That's horrific. I feel so much for the injured and the families who lost their loved ones.

There seems reports that the bin lorry driver suffered a heart attack? I hope he's all right. Well, actually, if he does survive his heart attack, he'll be devastated when he learns what happened. Poor sod.

That's my thinking too since the sky news reporter asked the policeman if its true that the driver was ill at the time?

Such an awful tragedy, like you say, if he does survive this, what a devastating thing for him to live with.

The whole thing is just heartbreaking, seems worse being just before Christmas too,those people buying last minute presents for their loved ones and just dying like that.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it does indeed sound as if something happened to the driver and his foot just jammed on the accelerator

His foot wouldn't have to be jammed on the accelerator. A vehicle like that would have a huge amount of momentum and take a long time to stop even if it was free wheeling.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Absolutely, assuming that was the main cause of the accident and there were no other side factors then I hope he gets much support.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    If the driver of the lorry hasnt died from the heart attack, someone will have to tell him when he comes round/gets better what happened. I wouldnt want to be the one to tell him.
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    Heart goes out to all people involved in this sad accident.

I do wish the sky reporters would back off a little. I understand they have a duty to report on such events. But their questioning of people who have told them they don't want to talk about then they carry on asking them questions. Their have been reports of them chasing down people with iphone cameras at the scene for questions.

I think some of the questions are quite awful to ask and clearly some of these people are far to upset to really be giving interviews at this stage.

Was just coming on to say this. Absolutely shameful journalism, that one guy (see below) they questioned was utterly traumatised and made it clear they didn't want to talk about it.
    habby wrote: »
    Just interviewing some idiot on Sky News.

Reckons the lorry was going "70-100mph" and started going on about "could be terrorist incident". Then he seemed to get cut off somehow!!! :confused:

It wouldn't have been the first time Glasgow had seen a terrorist attack involving a speeding vehicle, as well as a similar incident in France yesterday. So it's quite unfair to call him an idiot, especially given he was clearly shook up and had no desire to talk about it with the gutter press.

Thoughts with everybody affected by this. So sad.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just said on Clyde 1 that 6 people are confirmed dead. This is just terrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Just said on Clyde 1 that 6 people are confirmed dead. This is just terrible.

RIP xxx
  • Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    Was just coming on to say this. Absolutely shameful journalism, that one guy (see below) they questioned was utterly traumatised and made it clear they didn't want to talk about it.

It wouldn't have been the first time Glasgow had seen a terrorist attack involving a speeding vehicle, as well as a similar incident in France yesterday. So it's quite unfair to call him an idiot, especially given he was clearly shook up and had no desire to talk about it with the gutter press.

Thoughts with everybody affected by this. So sad.

Yes it put me in mind of the guy who drove the car in to Glasgow Airport! There's been so many bad incidents around the world just lately that I don't blame anyone for not feeling safe anywhere from mad terrorists/extremists!
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A woman being interviewed on Clyde 1 there said she witnesses a baby in a buggy and two children being hit.

The reports are just getting worse and worse.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is barely a year after the helicopter tragedy in Glasgow:(
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Can a bin lorry even get to 70mph? Without sounding insensitive but i've been stuck behind a few which seem to never go above 40mph
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's possible that people may have initially assumed it was some sort of act of terror, particularly after what happened in Dijon just yesterday.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2882906/Islamic-convert-shouting-God-greatest-injures-13-people-driving-crowds-French-city.html

A sign of the times we live in after what happened in France the other day i must admit
    my first thoughts were it might be terrorist related As for some of the jokes made earlier
    cant say that's a sign of the times as we always get those sick jokes when things like
    this happen

Such a shame my thoughts are with the familes of the victims
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A woman being interviewed on Clyde 1 there said she witnesses a baby in a buggy and two children being hit.

Poor little mites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some families are going to receive some terrible news shortly, it's bringing tears to my eyes.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just heard that too. This is awful :(
  • Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Turned to BBC instead of Sky and to be fair the news anchor is being just as probing and they have a guy who witnessed it talking and he said he didn't want to describe things too much but said that he could tell numerous bodies were too badly injured to be alive :(

Poor bloke, he saw people crying, screaming and panicking - really do we need to know all this! Is this really appropriate for the news to be broadcasting! :confused:
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    After seeing the distance from where the first person was hit, I'm saying this was no accident. :mad:
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sad :(