Options

Jury duty - experiences?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Got a letter from the local county court saying that I have been randomly selected (hurrah!:rolleyes:) for potential jury service.

Anyone ever had a juror summons? Exciting or boring experience? Does the accused & their family get to see who you are... What are the chances of reprisals?

I'd rather win the kind of lottery that involves 6 lucky numbers :o

Comments

• Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My jury service involved an awful lot of sitting round, then getting sent home. Take a book just in case.
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never done it, and hope I never have to!
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did it twice over a 3-4 year time period, 19 when I did it first time around!

First time around I was dreading it and really wanted to get out of it but actually I quite enjoyed it. A lot of it was sitting around the canteen being bored waiting to be called and its also nerve wracking when you do get called and the lawyers and defense look at you and have the opportunity to reject you just on how you look!

The trials themselves sometimes was lost on me with some of the technicalities that dragged on but generally it was an interesting experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Mine involved taking a day off work, phoning them in the morning to be told we weren't needed then going to work. This happened three times I think and then they said I was done. Same happened to my Dad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's from the county court, does that mean it's just going to be something fairly trivial like an assault or shoplifting? Or is there any chance of a high profile case in a crown court?

I think it could be fun... Oooh I have The Power! :D

Also do you get free lunch & refreshments? :o
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A guy in work had to do it. He said it was a nightmare. He had to travel by train to Glasgow and the defendant's family used to get on the same train. They were a pretty rough lot who recognised him as being on the jury and he said he felt very intimidated at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they pay your wages? I heard it was a set amount that doesn't come close to what you actually earn
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girth wrote: »
    My jury service involved an awful lot of sitting round, then getting sent home. Take a book just in case.

Pretty much the same, I did mine when I was 19, spent 2 weeks sitting around in a nice comfy room, being fed an endless stream of BLT's. Had five or six cases in that time but all the defendants apart from one changed their plea to guilty at the last minute.

Helped enormously that some of my fellow jurors were very very hot :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I did 2 weeks just after my 18th birthday sat at the court day after day for 2 weeks and never did get a case would like to do it again properly now
  • Options
    ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I was called up for Jury service a couple of years ago. I was absolutely petrified. But, I need not have been. I really enjoyed the experience. It wasn't a harrowing case thankfully, but it wasn't a simple walk in the park case either. Without going into too many specifics, there were several in the prosecution box, so the case went on for 5 weeks. Personally, I did have a few problems with some of the people who were up for trial, as they unfortunately loitered around the train station I arrived at, and often followed me as I walked up to the court. At first this did make me nervous, but I just braced myself each morning as I knew they'd be hanging about.
    Not only that, after about the 3rd week of dealing with their jeers, a sharp word with security soon put paid to any intimidation they were putting my way.

I was appointed head juror but just as we were about to go in to give the verdict, my nerve failed me, and I bottled it. Somthing I really now regret. That said, I don't know if I'd put myself up to be head Juror again, as it can be quite daunting, but who knows.

As Girth said, take a book, and maybe a flask of tea/coffee for when you're in break time. If it works the same as mine did, you'll have a food and drink allowance each day, roughly around £6.00. But if you end up with a lot of breaks, you'll soon run out of that!

Don't be nervous, you won't be the only one there who's never done it before, and you'll find the time flies by. Good luck!
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been called twice and not done it either time as I have zero faith in the legal system in the UK and made my feeling known.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your experience Shuttermaze.

£6 daily food & drinks allowance? That's not much :(
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here, it was a good excuse to catch up on some reading.
  • Options
    ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »

You're welcome. :)

No, it's not, and you really will use it up quite quickly. I used to take a snack with me for breakfast, as we had to be in the Jurors lounge area from 9am. Sometimes we'd not be called into court till gone 10, so there was time to have a light bite, to settle the nerves. And that way you won't end up spending all the allowance before lunch time. ;)

When have you been called up? I had a 3 month notice period of the time I was due in. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Though I'd dread having a harrowing case.
  • Options
    SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like my dad's experience. When he finally got a case it was a boring and stupid one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're welcome. :)

No, it's not, and you really will use it up quite quickly. I used to take a snack with me for breakfast, as we had to be in the Jurors lounge area from 9am. Sometimes we'd not be called into court till gone 10, so there was time to have a light bite, to settle the nerves. And that way you won't end up spending all the allowance before lunch time. ;)

When have you been called up? I had a 3 month notice period of the time I was due in. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Though I'd dread having a harrowing case.
    I haven't actually been summoned. The letter just says I've been selected onto the list of people who may be called up. :)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A bit of advice....

The Prosecution are not normally allowed to tell you about previous convictions untill they are convicted.

BUT. If the defence do not claim that the defendant has a clean record and and an unblemished character, you can bet your life that he has a load of form:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember finishing my first case on the Thursday of the first week and the second case on the Wednesday of the second week, thereby getting the remainder of both weeks off as trials don't tend to start at the end of the week!

All in all it was OK. The first trial wasn't that major, turned out to be the tip of the iceberg of some of the things the defendant was being tried for... apparently much worse offences were to follow :eek:. The second one wasn't dull but nothing too major either.

I guess it really depends on the luck of the draw, really. You could be sat doing nothing the whole time or you could spend the whole 2 weeks on a jury. As others have said, definitely bring some form of entertainment.

One of the weird aspects with mine was that, elsewhere in the pool of jurors were 3 other people who went to my school (2 in the same year as me!). Makes me wonder just how 'random' their selection process is.

I feel sorry for the posters commenting about seeing the defendant(s) out and about while the trial was going on, that must've been really intimidating. :(
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just hope you don't get a child sex crime case like I did. Horrible experience. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much do you get reimbursed for loss of earnings?

eta found it http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/docs/infoabout/juryservice/juror_allowances_e.pdf
    really not worth it until you're in for over 11 days (and do more than 4 hours)

bloody hell, I hope I'm never called!
  • Options
    WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did it last year....it was the week before Christmas
    On the first day we all sat around until around lunchtime and then
    they came and told us that the cases had been dropped / postponed
    for a number of reasons and we could go away and not come back.
    I was a bit dissapointed as I was quite looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did it about 20 years ago, was appointed foreman of the jury. After a lot of discussion we found the accused not guilty.
    We discovered afterwards that if he had been convicted it would have been the end of his career.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

When i did it 3/4 years ago they gave you a 'smart card' with the daily allowance on it........you used it in the canteen

It was enough for a proper two course meal and a few cups of coffee during the day
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a letter from the local county court saying that I have been randomly selected (hurrah!:rolleyes:) for potential jury service.

Anyone ever had a juror summons? Exciting or boring experience? Does the accused & their family get to see who you are... What are the chances of reprisals?

I'd rather win the kind of lottery that involves 6 lucky numbers :o

Did you sign for the letter? If not just rip it up and throw it away, they can't prove you had the letter. that is what I would do.
  • Options
    pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jury service needs to be restricted to those with an IQ above 90. A friend of mine did it, and he isn't the sharpest tool in the box..all he did was follow what the more competent jury members decided, as he couldn't keep up with the case. At the moment we refuse perfectly intelligent and sane people from doing jury service, yet allow the unemployed drooling dosser who has never done a day's work to sit in judgement.