Ben Parkinson & the Olympic Torch

Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2164873/Brave-war-hero-Ben-Parkinson-carries-torch-home-town-emotional-scenes.html

What an incredible fighting spirit this young man has, to come back from losing both legs having a shattered spine and a brain injury hes carrying the olympic torch and walking on his artifical limbs to do so. Whatever you may think of the war the guts and determination hes shown instead of wallowing in self pity and the support of his regiment makes me very proud to be british.

Who would you like to see carry the torch and why?

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was there I walked next to him the crowds and people were amazing never seen anything like it
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I was there I walked next to him the crowds and people were amazing never seen anything like it

I thought him really inspiring, i was feeling a bit sorry for myself today with another 2 rejection letters from job applications, moped about a bit walked the dogs moaned about the weather came home and read that and thought "wow ive still got legs, my spine hasnt been shattered and ive not had a brain injury and im moaning more than he is" i felt somewhat ashamed of myself :/
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here. The atmosphere was absolutely incredible. He is truly an inspiration.
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »
    Same here. The atmosphere was absolutely incredible. He is truly an inspiration.

If i'd have been within distance (i mean if he was from my hometown or thereabouts) I'd have gone along to offer support. Well done to both of you for doing so.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    If i'd have been within distance (i mean if he was from my hometown or thereabouts) I'd have gone along to offer support. Well done to both of you for doing so.

Thanks. It was a real pleasure to be there. It was one of those occasions that you know you won't ever forget - even my teenage sons came away feeling inspired!

Good luck with the job hunting. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I can get the footage off my phone will be uploading to Youtube have a great 10 minute sequence of walking beside Ben and his Physio with people coming over to shake hands with him after the torch walk.
    Forum Member
    When I can get the footage off my phone will be uploading to Youtube have a great 10 minute sequence of walking beside Ben and his Physio with people coming over to shake hands with him after the torch walk.

give us a link when its up pls? and thanks sophie :)
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I've met him, it's amazing and humbling to know what he's gone through. He's a true inspiration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignore above link had to reupload this is now the correct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKF8IAh21s
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it you have to be horribly disfigured in war to be worthy of something?

Maybe all the desperate freeloaders who write for the Mail could give their jobs to someone who lost a foot somewhere doing something as they'd clearly be more qualified.