Options

Is hot weather bad for our electrical equipment?

shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
Forum Member
✭✭✭
last year during the heatwave my TV went wrong, during this years heatwave my ps3 went wrong. basically is running my electrical equipment during hot weather making it fail?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Surely your winding us up
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes hot weather is bad for electronics, especially if you never clean the dust out of them.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    humidity kills electrics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nope not winding you up, so sitting here watching the golf in this temp aint doing my tele any good what so ever and might be shortening its life span by causing components to overheat
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually what tends to get too hot in TVs is the capacitors, which leak or burst and cause faults, so there is some truth in the hot weather together with the heat from the TV causing the caps to go potentially on older and well used equipment.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heat does play a factor in resistance. As we know ohms law is V=IR so any change in resistance effects the overall operation of the circuit. That said it would have to be extremely hot to effect household electronics to a degree where a fault developed.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've actually taken to shutting down my NAS drive when it's particularly hot - it's probably not necessary but it was running particularly hot one day last week (44 degrees) and I've got a lot of content on it so i'd rather be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    last year during the heatwave my TV went wrong, during this years heatwave my ps3 went wrong. basically is running my electrical equipment during hot weather making it fail?
    It's not so much the heat it's self but it's build up and how it must escape.

So dust/dirt/grease blocking grills/grids and vent areas around electrical equipment will prevent heat from escaping, not a good thing.

Taking the side off the PC case and give it a going over with canned air and in very hot weather leaving the side off will do the PC no harm if in constant use.

Its about movement of air, it won't prevent electrical equipment from getting hot but it will help keep things a little cooler.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,526
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Actually what tends to get too hot in TVs is the capacitors, which leak or burst and cause faults, so there is some truth in the hot weather together with the heat from the TV causing the caps to go potentially on older and well used equipment.

Not strictly true - the main cause of failure in much modern electronics (the cheaper makes mainly) is sub-standard capacitors, and the temperature been hotter shortens their life (but it's not specifically the capacitors getting hotter, it's the environment they are in). The real problem though is the capacitors are sub-standard, the manufacturers know this, but don't care as they are CHEAP!!.

But heat kills electronics - if the weather is hotter then the electronics runs hotter.

For example, say your iPad (or whatever) runs at 20 degrees - if the ambient temperature is 10 degrees, then it's running at 30 degrees, if the ambient temperature is 30, then it's running at 50 degrees (and so on).

This also affects the cooling of the system, heatsinks work better when there's a large temperature differential, as do fan cooled ones.

So basically hot weather CAN be detrimental to electronics, but it depends how well (or poorly) they were designed and made.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Yes very bad if you leave electrical stuff like TV's outside in a thunder storm and heavy rain.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i believe carrier mobility in transistors in "designed in" for a wide temperature range. mind you, since this latest funny weather started, my tv has refused to show any decent programmes ...... those people with water cooled tv sets you connect to a tap may be slightly better off .....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Any decent bit of gear will tell you the recommended temperature range in the specs. Usually at the back of the manual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Any decent bit of gear will tell you the recommended temperature range in the specs. Usually at the back of the manual.

Not worth reading, as we're in the UK, and don't get temperature extremes anywhere near the ones electronic devices are designed to work in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not strictly true - the main cause of failure in much modern electronics (the cheaper makes mainly) is sub-standard capacitors, and the temperature been hotter shortens their life (but it's not specifically the capacitors getting hotter, it's the environment they are in). The real problem though is the capacitors are sub-standard, the manufacturers know this, but don't care as they are CHEAP!!.

But heat kills electronics - if the weather is hotter then the electronics runs hotter.

For example, say your iPad (or whatever) runs at 20 degrees - if the ambient temperature is 10 degrees, then it's running at 30 degrees, if the ambient temperature is 30, then it's running at 50 degrees (and so on).

This also affects the cooling of the system, heatsinks work better when there's a large temperature differential, as do fan cooled ones.

So basically hot weather CAN be detrimental to electronics, but it depends how well (or poorly) they were designed and made.

the heat generated inside mos chips s a funtion of switching speed. very little to do with external ambient temperature. of course they will run hotter since there is a smaller temperature difference with the environment hence reduced heat dissipation .....

presumably the caps u are thinking of are electrolytic ....... the big ones on the inputs of power supplies slowly dry out but again its more from internally genrated heat .... ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely your winding us up

you have a Bayliss clockwork radio ?

i hear the dab version needs winding up every 2 minutes !
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    leaving the side off will do the PC

I agree with your fine post, except for the above. If you've got fans moving air through the case normally, taking the side off disrupts the airflow so you could create hotspots.

(I run my fans fairly quiet so in hot weather I just turn up the speed of the ones at the back; since the room window will be open the added noise isn't an issue.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so am i right in saying that something like a ps3 which has a fan to assist cooling will have to run the fan faster to dissipate the same amount of heat if the ambient temperature is higher?

what happens with passive cooling no fans to dissipate the heat ? in hot weather like this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    the heat generated inside mos chips s a funtion of switching speed. very little to do with external ambient temperature. of course they will run hotter since there is a smaller temperature difference with the environment hence reduced heat dissipation .....

It's got everything to do with the ambient temperature, as the internal temperature of the equipment is that generated inside on top of the ambient temperature.

I don't quite see the relevance of mentioning MOS chips?, heat is generated in ALL chips, and all other components as well - switching speed is only one 'cause' (although not really the 'cause' as it's simple W=VxI that causes the heat).

presumably the caps u are thinking of are electrolytic ....... the big ones on the inputs of power supplies slowly dry out but again its more from internally genrated heat .... ......

More from the temperature inside the unit, not just that inside the capacitors - and it's not just a question of 'slowly drying out', it's a question of the sub-standard capacitors RAPIDLY going high-ESR. If you fit decent quality capacitors then this doesn't happen, and the capacitors life is measured in decades.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so am i right in saying that something like a ps3 which has a fan to assist cooling will have to run the fan faster to dissipate the same amount of heat if the ambient temperature is higher?

Assuming a PS3 has that capability (most PC's do) then yes, the fan will run faster in hotter weather - the device itself 'should' run at pretty well the same temperature. Once you get to a certain point though it can't go any faster, and if the CPU gets hotter it commonly gets slowed down to reduce it's temperature.

what happens with passive cooling no fans to dissipate the heat ? in hot weather like this

They run hotter - but passive cooling 'should' be rated to keep the device within design limits during the hottest weather.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    It may not be bad, but it is not good, make sure they have plenty of cooling