Do you make your own skin care products

EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
Forum Member
Does anyone do this?

Especially facial ones? Do they help if you have problem skin IE greasy, spotty, black headed skin?

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coconut oil, mixed with Swarfega and lemon juice. That should cover all eventualities.
  • Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Coconut oil, mixed with Swarfega and lemon juice. That should cover all eventualities.
    Be kind barbeler, even on my aged skin it would strip it completely!

Now to be serious in response to your question Ebony Hamster:
    I use Monsia Skincare and the common ingredient in the cleanser, toner, day moisturizer with SPF15 and the night repair cream is shea butter. I have made a body butter using lanolin, shea butter, vit E oil which is great. When I make the next batch I think I might add some aloe vera and emu oil (it is in the Monsia night repair cream). I know my skin loves shea butter and it definitely likes the aloe vera and emu oil.
  • rybedrybed Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I use lemon juice on my armpits instead of deodorant
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,799
    Forum Member
    Lin4237 wrote: »
    Be kind barbeler, even on my aged skin it would strip it completely!

Now to be serious in response to your question Ebony Hamster:
    I use Monsia Skincare and the common ingredient in the cleanser, toner, day moisturizer with SPF15 and the night repair cream is shea butter. I have made a body butter using lanolin, shea butter, vit E oil which is great. When I make the next batch I think I might add some aloe vera and emu oil (it is in the Monsia night repair cream). I know my skin loves shea butter and it definitely likes the aloe vera and emu oil.

What is emu oil please?
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »
    What is emu oil please?

Here is the Google search link:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=emu+oil&oq=emu+oil&aqs=chrome..69i57.2782j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Alternatively you can look on
    monsiaskincare.com/uk/monsia-skin-lightening-cream-with-hyaluronic-acid
    scroll down page to
    "Emu Oil is well known for its antiviral and antibacterial properties as well as its ability to relieve inflammation and reduce the appearance of scars, dark spots and stretch marks. Emu Oil works to protect the skin and provides amazing healing benefits which prevent further scarring and discolorations."
    Forum Member
    Here is the Google search link:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=emu+oil&oq=emu+oil&aqs=chrome..69i57.2782j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Alternatively you can look on
    monsiaskincare.com/uk/monsia-skin-lightening-cream-with-hyaluronic-acid
    scroll down page to
    "Emu Oil is well known for its antiviral and antibacterial properties as well as its ability to relieve inflammation and reduce the appearance of scars, dark spots and stretch marks. Emu Oil works to protect the skin and provides amazing healing benefits which prevent further scarring and discolorations."

Thanks for the link. :):)

So it's actually taken from emus - I did wonder :D
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make the banana, honey & lemon juice face mask. Works a treat.

I did once try to make a face mask using porridge oats & yoghurt but it didn't go very well :D

The homemade deodorant is horrid, it's all scratchy.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    I did once try to make a face mask using porridge oats & yoghurt but it didn't go very well :D
    Have you tried the expanding builders' foam?
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. :):)

So it's actually taken from emus - I did wonder :D

It is not a pleasant smelling oil, be warned if anyone wants to try it! :o:D
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »

Thanks for the warning about the smell but will it help remove age spots ?
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »

:D I don't fancy it anyway. I'd possibly use it as a medicine type thing if my skin was damaged and nothing else had worked, but as a regular beauty product - not really. And that was even before knowing it doesn't smell nice :D
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use brown sugar as an exfoliator in the shower. Only the shower though, sugar can get in your foofoo in a bath and cause thrush.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't use much make up but I use Simple cleanser on my face then witch hazel diluted with water or rose water as a toner to remove any traces.
    People comment on what a good skin I have. Skin care or genes who knows?
    Plus oatmeal or coffee grinds as exfoliators. No need to use expensive commercial products!
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the warning about the smell but will it help remove age spots ?

No idea, I've only used it in my hair. Seems like it probably would though, it's very good for the skin but I couldn't bear to put it on my face. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine always suffered with oily skin and all the products she tried seemed to only make it worse. She found out that if she soaked her face in olive oil for a few minutes every other day and then dabbed it off, her face produced less oil and the problem went away.
  • NathalieMNathalieM Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I don't regularly create my own products, I have mixed ingredients to make face masks though. Things such as lemon, sugar and baking powder combined are supposed to get rid of blackheads, but they didn't do much for me!

Some of these sound interesting though, I might give the olive oil a try! I have only used it on my hair previously.

Nat xo
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rybed wrote: »
    I use lemon juice on my armpits instead of deodorant

I once used raw lemons under my arms. I would never make that mistake again 8-)
  • rybedrybed Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    I once used raw lemons under my arms. I would never make that mistake again 8-)
    Don't do it immediately after shaving your pits. I've been doing it for the last 6 months and never had any problems. There is no smell at all, for at least 24 hours. Use preferably unwaxed lemons or organic...