Car insurance and main driver

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
Forum Member
Can anyone answer the following-
Both me and my wife drive our car. The wife drives it Monday to Friday (short journeys) and i drive Saturday and Sunday (long Journeys).
To sumerise the wife drives the car more times than me but i cover more milage.
The question is who is the "main driver" for insurance purposes? ;)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparky24 wrote: »
    Can anyone answer the following-
    Both me and my wife drive our car. The wife drives it Monday to Friday (short journeys) and i drive Saturday and Sunday (long Journeys).
    To sumerise the wife drives the car more times than me but i cover more milage.
    The question is who is the "main driver" for insurance purposes? ;)

Don't really know but who is the registered keeper.

I would imagine the registered keeper is the main driver as far as the insurance company are concerned.

I don't think it goes by the mileage or times you drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I am filling in an online quote and it asks-

who is the registered keeper (me or spouse)
    who is the main driver (me or spouse)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparky24 wrote: »
    I am filling in an online quote and it asks-

who is the registered keeper (me or spouse)
    who is the main driver (me or spouse)

Who has the most NCD. If it were me I would nominate the person with the highest NCD and longer driving experience.

If you're both the same it doesn't matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    The Registered Keeper is the one whose name is on the Registration document.

As for main driver, I think legally you could get away with either, so it's probably down to who would get the better quote. All things being equal Women tend to get cheaper rates.
  • upnunderupnunder Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my house, the Main driver is whoever it is cheaper to insure.

I have points on my license, and have no NCD, as I have had company cars for years.
    My wife has a clean license, and 7 years NCD, so when I changed jobs and had to buy my own car, I insured my car with her as the main driver, it saved me over £300 doing it that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice.
    It looks like im going to be the main driver then as i have more NCD than the wife :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in this position as well. I am just about to get my first car (its been paid for, just need to collect it). As I am 19 the insurance is far cheaper (£500) if I put it in my mums name and me as named driver. Problem is that she wont be driving it that much and I wondered if this was ok...
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in this position as well. I am just about to get my first car (its been paid for, just need to collect it). As I am 19 the insurance is far cheaper (£500) if I put it in my mums name and me as named driver. Problem is that she wont be driving it that much and I wondered if this was ok...

Is it OK? Not if you get caught out. Putting a parent down as the main driver is called 'fronting' and can lead to a lot of trouble. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7052569.stm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the advice is to stick the insurance in my own name?
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the advice is to stick the insurance in my own name?

Not necessarily. You have to decide if saving £500 is worth the possible risks, which could be as severe as being prosecuted for driving withouit valid insurance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Remember as well, driving as a named driver you will not accrue any NCD.

It will be more expensive now but in the long run you will save money insuring it yourself.
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    duffystev wrote: »
    Remember as well, driving as a named driver you will not accrue any NCD.

It will be more expensive now but in the long run you will save money insuring it yourself.

some companies now do give named drivers NCD if they stay with that insurance co, direct line is one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member

No, that's a different position. It was always dodgy, but it is now definitely illegal. And as others have said, even if you don't get caught out, you're not earning no-claims bonus, which is worth a LOT eventually.