Why we must help the refugees

1232425262729»

Comments

• jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nodger wrote: »
    What has the last weeks worth of (utterly boring) conversation got to do with 'Why we must help the refugees'?

Nothing really.

A poster has derailed the thread by claiming that not teaching religion at school will stop refugees becoming militant Islamist's. A ridiculous notion.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    It seems the teacher was more of the problem than the religion. Was it a Catholic or C of E school.?

I've heard of Catholic angst, but never had it.

Neither.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    You can say such things OP, but in the world people suffer, and we can only do so much.

If we were to take in all of these people, it would lead to more suffering in the long term for all people.
    Forum Member
    I can see how you've misunderstood religion, entirely.

I find religion, and the history of religion and its place in societies fascinating, and have always taken a great interest in the religious beliefs of mankind.

That is why I am opposed to conditioning by the contemporary religions who I regard as being actively opposed to any sort of spiritual enlightenment in mankind.
    Forum Member
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Nothing really.

A poster has derailed the thread by claiming that not teaching religion at school will stop refugees becoming militant Islamist's. A ridiculous notion.

Nope, not me. I said the outlawing of religious worship in schools would help in keeping all children free from conditioning, a conditioning that is an essential part of creating fundamentalists in any religion.

A small step forward, but a necessary one.

Education in the the history of all religions, extant and dead, is very important in my view.
    Forum Member
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    You can say such things OP, but in the world people suffer, and we can only do so much.

If we were to take in all of these people, it would lead to more suffering in the long term for all people.

I still think the problem of the Syrian refugees can only finally be solved with peace in that country.

In the meantime, I am completely at a loss - along with most other people I think.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I still think the problem of the Syrian refugees can only finally be solved with peace in that country.

In the meantime, I am completely at a loss - along with most other people I think.

Agreed, and its Russia who is taking it on, America is starting to decline is world power.

Assad must remain in power, he is an evil man, but what is waiting to fill any void by him is far more evil.
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, not me. I said the outlawing of religious worship in schools would help in keeping all children free from conditioning, a conditioning that is an essential part of creating fundamentalists in any religion.

A small step forward, but a necessary one.

Education in the the history of all religions, extant and dead, is very important in my view.

I agree it would help but it wouldn't change much, these kids are taught religion by their parents and their places of worship.

I'm not sure what this has to do with helping refugees and why you keep going on about it though.
    Forum Member
    I agree it would help but it wouldn't change much, these kids are taught religion by their parents and their places of worship.

I'm not sure what this has to do with helping refugees and why you keep going on about it though.

Well, to be fair it takes more than one to hold a conversation/discussion!
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Nothing really.

I have had the displeasure of reading this over the week and I was hoping a straightforward point made aligned with a little dig might highlight exactly your reply. I don't want to get involved any more than that, I have so little hair left already.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. The '50s was the decade when my education started.

2. Although what you are claiming is absurd the further education of adults has absolutely nothing to do with what we have been discussing - the conditioning of very young children at an age before they can reason for themselves.

3. I don't know what a "political education" is. Sounds very 1984ish to me......

Give me strength. I'explained why I said what I said, yet you want to continue making an issue based on your rather silly pedantry.
  • BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2. Quite. If you interpret a small child's question as to "Why are we here" as a request to a parent to indulge their faith then yes, that is conditioning.

3. I said that a young child being advised not to eat wasps is not conditioning. Taking it further a child being told that wasps love them, and to worship them, is.

2 Then how does a parent answer the 'why are we here' question? You know I am an Atheist and I find your indulge comment a little offensive because my belief is not of necessity correct. I believe it is but it may not be and I can only assume that a child cannot be told there is no God either. So if I had my time again I could only answer with we do not know, some believe this, some believe that etc etc. Which of course then prompts the next question what do you think Daddy? Catch 22 there answer truthfully and you break the Sate law of conditioning, answer untruthfully and you stand ever accused of lying to your child as he reaches maturity.

3 You do not advise them not to eat wasps you tell them not to eat wasps which is conditioning. You can also tell them to love wasps but be wary of them or you could tell them to hate all wasps and kill them wherever you may find them. I can only assume all would be acceptable. If we replaced wasps with **** I can only assume that would be legal as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    More problems revealed by recently arrived refugees including in this first video ... critical issues like slow internet ... as well as the failure to provide enough funds to another refugee who wants money for smoking, and to send to his mother in Syria ...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c53_1443173827&comments=1

Even more outrageously sexual needs of refugees have been willfully overlooked ... one was advised to make sex to alleviate his 'ball problem', apparently medics advised him to 'make sex with anyone' .... another is anxious that he does not feel able to bring a girl back to his accommodation, as they may have to have sex with 400 people ...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=24a_1443902294

How on earth can we as decent, civilised people not realise that these people have needs, and of course provide them will all they require - money, ciggies, internet, and girls ?

I am off to hang my head in shame at this disgraceful betrayal of people in genuine need.
  • Garry_HerringGarry_Herring Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I think we are missing one vital word here for the UK - 'Overpopulation' .

That is what we must think about. We are a tiny island compared to the rest of the world. it will be like trying to put an elephant into a rabbit hutch. Don't get me wrong I believe in live and let live. but the stark reality is we can't house thousands more refugees.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we are missing one vital word here for the UK - 'Overpopulation' .

That is what we must think about. We are a tiny island compared to the rest of the world. it will be like trying to put an elephant into a rabbit hutch. Don't get me wrong I believe in live and let live. but the stark reality is we can't house thousands more refugees.

reminds me of the old saying "you can't fit a quart into a pint pot." It's just impossible. I'm the same as you, I get on with anyone and have loads of friends from overseas but this crisis is something else entirely. It doesn't end there either because they will all fight to get their families here and they'll all have more babies. Families of 5-10 children are not unusual.

I've said for years that child benefit should stop at two children and I think now is the time for the Govt to seriously consider this before they all start these huge families and bankrupt us.

They'll all be getting thousands of ££ in child benefit alone yet women who were born here and paid their taxes all their working lives will lose out. We were told we could retire at 60 and get our pensions ...... now we find out that we will have to work to 65+.
    The Govt should be showing loyalty to people who have lived and worked and paid taxes all their lives. >:(
    Forum Member
    Interview with refugees, Milan, August 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIkpNGczc90

These people have numerous grievances including wanting actual money rather than camp credits, and are angry that they had to walk 3 km to find an adequate wi-fi connection speed.

People posting in this and other threads need to either stop downplaying the suggestion that many of these people are not desperate individuals fleeing war, but merely cynical opportunists, or answer how they personally are going to assist in solving this problem.

It isn't good enough to say 'let 'em in' - What are you offering to contribute ?
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    ...... now we find out that we will have to work to 65+.
    The Govt should be showing loyalty to people who have lived and worked and paid taxes all their lives. >:(

When has that ever happened? Don't worry - the time is coming

http://i.imgur.com/TfImSBY.jpg
    Forum Member
    From a question I encountered many years ago - here is an answer from The Guardian ....

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/apr/24/10-great-urban-myths-debunked

'You can fit the entire population of the world on the Isle of Wight'

It's become an accepted truth that you could fit the entire population of the world, shoulder-to-shoulder, on the Isle of Wight. But is it true?

The Isle of Wight is 380m square metres, so how many people could fit there? Well, you wouldn't get much room for personal space – and that's leaving aside the logistics and health implications of moving everyone on the planet to one place. But if we assume an average space of 0.5 square metres each – and that children take up half as much space as adults – then it could go like this:

There are 5.2 billion adults and 1.9 billion children in the world. The adults would take up 2.6bn square metres – and the children 475m square metres. And that doesn't take account of people who are obese, or starving. Together, that is just over 3bn square metres.

So, while you could get all the children of the world on to the Isle of Man (which is 570m square metres), for the entire population you need to go a little bigger. Like, say, South Georgia in the southern Atlantic Ocean. At 3.7bn square metres, we might even have a little room to spare .....

- So we could easily take far more than 20,000 refugees - and then house them on S Georgia.

:)
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When has that ever happened? Don't worry - the time is coming

http://i.imgur.com/TfImSBY.jpg

:):);-):):)