Options

Clinically dead pregnant woman being kept alive on life support

Comments

• Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In reality it doesn't matter one iota what the grandparents want or what circumstances the baby will be born into (for better or for worse), the fact remains that in Ireland pregnant women have the same rights as dogs. I really hope for a positive outcome in this case but the clause needs to change - women cannot become imprisoned to their wombs the minute they become pregnant .

I was just about to post similar sentiments. Why is anyone talking about the wishes of the mother as though it would make a difference if she were alive?
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which part? I thought this was a debate, if you have something to say against my points, say them.
    "fact remains that in Ireland pregnant women have the same rights as dogs" ... You do realise the Irish people voted for this in our constitution - and yes women do have a right to vote.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I was just about to post similar sentiments. Why is anyone talking about the wishes of the mother as though it would make a difference if she were alive?

Because it would. In very, very restricted circumstances she could terminate her pregnancy in Ireland, and in any circumstances she chose she could travel to another country to have an abortion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's different - as far as we know this child would have been born according to the wishes to its loving mother. She could also have travelled for an abortion or have the child up for adoption.

I bet the vast majority of mothers would die willingly for their baby if they had to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Because it would. In very, very restricted circumstances she could terminate her pregnancy in Ireland, and in any circumstances she chose she could travel to another country to have an abortion.

It's not good enough, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Of course it's different - as far as we know this child would have been born according to the wishes to its loving mother.

I bet the vast majority of mothers would die willingly for their baby if they had to.

I'm talking in general about the lack of reproductive rights in the ROI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe not to you but it's the wish of the people of Ireland at this very moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    "fact remains that in Ireland pregnant women have the same rights as dogs" ... You do realise the Irish people voted for this in our constitution - and yes women do have a right to vote.

30 years ago you mean, in 1983. There has been calls to repeal the 8th amendment which have fallen on Enda Kennys deaf ignorant ears.
  • Options
    Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Out of curiosity has the law in the Republic of Ireland changed on that as wasn't that illegal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its not good enough in my opinion either, but still not the same as pregnant women having no more rights than dogs. That's just hyperbole.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's different - as far as we know this child would have been born according to the wishes to its loving mother. She could also have travelled for an abortion or have the child up for adoption.

You mean if they chose to be pregnant and wanted to carry the baby? Any other choice is basically denied by single blokes in frocks in the luxurious Vatican. No barefoot and pregnant issues for them, unlike millions of women around the world . It's loving mother may just not have wanted her parents to be subjected to a living nightmare they clearly can't cope with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolfman13 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity has the law in the Republic of Ireland changed on that as wasn't that illegal?

The right to travel? That changed donkey's years ago, back when Albert Reynolds was Taoiseach. The right to travel is now enshrined in the constitution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 years ago you mean, in 1983. There has been calls to repeal the 8th amendment which have fallen on Enda Kennys deaf ignorant ears.
    Tbh I actually think if a referendum was held in the morning to allow full abortion it would be defeated again. It is a very very divisive issue.

Abortion in instances of abnormalities or rape would pass but aborting healthy children would fail by a considerable margin IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not good enough in my opinion either, but still not the same as pregnant women having no more rights than dogs. That's just hyperbole.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The right to travel? That changed donkey's years ago, back when Albert Reynolds was Taoiseach. The right to travel is now enshrined in the constitution.

Wow blatant hypocrisy, no surprise. No it's not good enough!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe not to you but it's the wish of the people of Ireland at this very moment.

I don't care what the people of Ireland think at this very moment. I will never agree with reproductive rights being decided by mob rule.

Is this going off topic? I can't tell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbh I actually think if a referendum was held in the morning to allow full abortion it would be defeated again. It is a very very divisive issue.

Abortion in instances of abnormalities or rape would pass but aborting healthy children would fail by a considerable margin IMO.

Catholic brainwashing and fear, from birth, helps that along nicely.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I stand by my statement, women who are forced to travel for abortions due to any number of circumstances (including rape, foetal abnormality etc.) are treated like people who are not worthy of any compassion or sympathy. I'm not just talking about abortion either, how about the symphysiotomy scandal in the 1980s which the government is barely acknowledging.
  • Options
    Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasn't too sure so thanks for that. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care what the people of Ireland think at this very moment. I will never agree with reproductive rights being decided by mob rule.

Is this going off topic? I can't tell.
    Well it's not by mob rule, the state considers human life basically starts at conception... Men and woman have access to all necessary birth control if they want, it's not like condoms aren't freely available like years back.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As interesting as the abortion issue in Ireland is it is not relevant here. The poor woman is dead.

So it is a question of what, if any, rights the foetus has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stand by my statement, women who are forced to travel for abortions due to any number of circumstances (including rape, foetal abnormality etc.) are treated like people who are not worthy of any compassion or sympathy. I'm not just talking about abortion either, how about the symphysiotomy scandal in the 1980s which the government is barely acknowledging.

I fully agree that the laws should be changed and that stupid 8th amendment should never have been put in the constitution in the first place. As for the symphysiotomy scandal, what do you expect with Michael Noonan in charge of the purse strings? Don't you remember Brigid McCole?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Catholic brainwashing and fear, from birth, helps that along nicely.
    Well I'm 23, not a big fan of all things Catholic church and I don't agree with the abortion of healthy children .. Gay Marriage in churches or whatever I completely support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    As interesting as the abortion issue in Ireland is it is not relevant here. The poor woman is dead.

The foetus has the same rights as a toddler walking around or myself in accordance with our constitution.

"as far as practicable" - these 4 words in our constitution will decide everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Starpuss wrote: »

It has the same rights as the mother.