Humax HDR-1000S Firmware Update 1.00.16 - Now Available

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim, this software specifically fixes the issue some people have had with some recordings failing, so yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    jimlfc wrote: »
    So am I correct to assume here that this update allows the box to record from standby? Or do we still have to set the timer to switch the box on before a recording?

the box definitely records from standby, my daily recordings have taped :D happy days
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Now all that's needed is Demand 5 and 4OD. What's the story there regarding the delay? Sales pitch said before Christmas 2012, we're nearing end of January 2013.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Now all that's needed is Demand 5 and 4OD. What's the story there regarding the delay? Sales pitch said before Christmas 2012, we're nearing end of January 2013.

http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Channels-On-Demand/Update-4OD-and-Demand-5/td-p/1126
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Just ordered my HDR1000S-1TB from Richer Sounds for £279.95 :)
    Forum Member

Hmm! not encouraging is it? I can well understand the posters anger. As I said previously this has all the hallmarks of an unfinished product being rushed to market. Whilst we still haven't got 4OD on Sky we do have all the others. If it can be handled for Sky and Youview why then not for Freetime? I think I too will delay my purchase until we have a finished product.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    A Beta version of 1.00.22 is now available http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/downloads/hdr-1000s

Release Notes

- Fixed first recording failure after unit is in standby overnight
    Note: Beta release

At this rate we may have all the fixes by the end of 2015. With 4OD and 5OD coming sometime earlier this year, I think we've waited long enough and aren't being unreasonable.
    Forum Member
    adgloride wrote: »
    A Beta version of 1.00.22 is now available http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/downloads/hdr-1000s

Release Notes

- Fixed first recording failure after unit is in standby overnight
    Note: Beta release

At this rate we may have all the fixes by the end of 2015. With 4OD and 5OD coming sometime earlier this year, I think we've waited long enough and aren't being unreasonable.

I think a bit of competition from the likes of Philips and others may well concentrate their minds. Until then I cannot see any reason why they would rush to finish this product. It's sad in many ways as Humax has for some time been seen as the bench mark for Freeview/Freesat PVR's but they are now in danger of losing that coveted spot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I think a bit of competition from the likes of Philips and others may well concentrate their minds....
    Interestingly Manhattan appear to have postponed their planned G2 HDR to "late 2013". Maybe a smart move on their part.
    Forum Member
    Interestingly Manhattan appear to have postponed their planned G2 HDR to "late 2013". Maybe a smart move on their part.

What makes you say "maybe smart move on their part". I'm not being glib I genuinely don't know why you think so, though I am interested in finding out.
    Forum Member
    What makes you say "maybe smart move on their part". I'm not being glib I genuinely don't know why you think so, though I am interested in finding out.
    It's clear that the Humax box has two inputs on the s/w front, themselves and Freesat, who supplied the code for the Freetime EPG. Design by committee, with no single overseeing responsibility. Each blaming the other. Best to stay out of that until all the problems are resolved, which will probably take the rest of this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I have both the Humax HDR (G1 EPG) freesat unit & the Humax 1000s (G2 EPG) 1tb unit.

1. On the Humax 1000s when I choose a program to record from say ITV or Ch4 it does not give me the option to record in HD - I have to go to say ITVHD or CH4HD and record. The option to record in HD on BBC1 & 2 works fine.
    On the Humax HDR (G1 EPG) the HD recording options flag up from all channels correctly, if available.
    On the Humax 1000s I have the latest firmware .22, reset to default, rescanned channels etc etc.
    Is there something else I can try or does the G2 EPG on the 1000s have a software bug?

2. On the Humax 1000s when you set up a list of favorite channels can you sort those channels into a different order or not?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howarp wrote: »
    I have both the Humax HDR (G1 EPG) freesat unit & the Humax 1000s (G2 EPG) 1tb unit.

1. On the Humax 1000s when I choose a program to record from say ITV or Ch4 it does not give me the option to record in HD - I have to go to say ITVHD or CH4HD and record. The option to record in HD on BBC1 & 2 works fine.
    On the Humax HDR (G1 EPG) the HD recording options flag up from all channels correctly, if available.
    On the Humax 1000s I have the latest firmware .22, reset to default, rescanned channels etc etc.
    Is there something else I can try or does the G2 EPG on the 1000s have a software bug?

2. On the Humax 1000s when you set up a list of favorite channels can you sort those channels into a different order or not?

Thanks

There's no HD link from SD on my box for itv or CH4 either. As it works on the BBC channels I imagine it's a broadcaster issue.

You can't alter the order of favourite channel display in the epg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply
    Forum Member
    howarp wrote: »

Thanks

Having said that, my Sky+HD box doen't give me the option to record in HD either. I have to go into EPG select HD section and scroll down to appropriate channel. Sky have had a favourites list since whenever which I have never understood the value of and never used. You have to press blue button then select channel and by the time I have done that I may as well have gone into EPG and done the same. TBH I can remember most of the channel numbers I use in any event e.g. 101 102 103 104 & 105 - all the terrestrial channels. Hence why I'm looking to move over to either Freesat or Freeview. :D
    Forum Member
    There's no HD link from SD on my box for itv or CH4 either. As it works on the BBC channels I imagine it's a broadcaster issue.

How can it be a broadcaster issue if it works on other G1 boxes?
    When I had the Echostar box and selecting future events from the EPG it asked if you would like to reserve the HD option if there was one available.
    And howarp even says it works as expected on his G1 Humax HDR.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    How can it be a broadcaster issue if it works on other G1 boxes?
    When I had the Echostar box and selecting future events from the EPG it asked if you would like to reserve the HD option if there was one available.
    And howarp even says it works as expected on his G1 Humax HDR.

Simple :eek:, the GI and G2 epg's are seperate with the latter adding extra capabilty, because it works on one doesn't mean it will work on the other. I have experienced failed recordings on a G1 box which worked on a G2 box and vice versa.

Just because they share a datastream doesn't mean a G1 box and a G2 box get the same data. As I said if the G2 data works for the BBC channels where do you imagine the problem lies :confused:, if the Beeb can get it right, don't you think that the itv and channel 4 should be able to do the same. Mind you channel 4 can't yet do AR either. :D
    Forum Member
    As PVR's go the Humax is pretty expensive so surely it should be better than the many posts suggest it is? Humax is a top brand name so they can't be happy with the negative press?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D
    As PVR's go the Humax is pretty expensive so surely it should be better than the many posts suggest it is? Humax is a top brand name so they can't be happy with the negative press?

That's rather interesting :D, at launch apart from the very poor Harvard boxes. The others were very similar, the fact that the G1 also rans are now.

1 No longer current
    2 Much less expensive
    3 still buggy

Ought to say something. :D

Take the G1 boxes, the Foxsat-hdr is still the most capable box by a massive margin, take the G2 box as it's the only one available the negative press doesn't mean a fat lot until there is something to compare to.

Seen it all before, as I said before given a choice would I swap my HDR-1000s for either my Foxsat-hdr or HDR FOX T2, the answer is no. Ask in 6 months or so the answer might be different :D

There are some worrying reports about the the HDR-1000s, so far touch wood I haven't experienced the 2 that are a cause for concern. I am a realist apart from the following number 1 which was 100% repeatable.

1 Failure to record the first programme of the day (appears to be fixed)

2 The box insists on reformatting the hard disk

3 The box gets in a boot / re-boot cycle.

Never said anyone should buy or not buy the HDR-1000S merely pointed out what what experiences I share and what fixed them for me. What else can anyone else honestly report as fact other than 2nd reporting what others report as in 2 or 3 above ? :confused:

Lot's ot the other comments are repeatable but frankly are so trivial that they beggar belief.
  • IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member

Hopefully this will clarify some of the issues and differences between G1/G2 1000s and Foxsat HDR. It isn't quite as simple as Graham thinks it is.

For example the BBC supply <Freetime> with the G2 HTML "also in HD" data for non-simulcast programmes on BBC3/4, but the 1000s isn't capable of supplying us with a simple record in HD option for these programmes. The Foxsat HDR has been programmed correctly and will give record in HD options etc.

The 1000s can find these HD alternatives via the data doing a 'Search' or using 'Showing Again', but <Freetime> didn't think to program it to supply the record in HD option for these programmes on the actual EPG. (This is Freesats fault not Humax)

The G1 Humax HDR has been programmed by Humax to always supply the HD/SD record option for all Channel 4 programmes, CH4 don't supply any HD data for either G1 or G2 EPG's.
    <Freetime> could program the 1000s to do the same but they won't.

The not so clever programmers at <Freetime> have also decided they only want to supply HD record options for true HD programmes and not for upscaled SD. (they seem to think upscaled SD broadcast on an HD channel will look the same as on the SD channel) So not all ITV programmes will get HD record options, some do.

So if you want HD record options for BBC3/4 and Channel 4 and all the programmes on ITV complain to the clever people at Freesat <Freetime>, they supply the UI not Humax.

It is a shame this is a <Freetime> programmed Humax box and not a Humax programmed <Freetime> box, if it was the latter it wouldn't be so crap and unreliable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IQ1 wrote: »
    Hopefully this will clarify some of the issues and differences between G1/G2 1000s and Foxsat HDR. It isn't quite as simple as Graham thinks it is.

For example the BBC supply <Freetime> with the G2 HTML "also in HD" data for non-simulcast programmes on BBC3/4, but the 1000s isn't capable of supplying us with a simple record in HD option for these programmes. The Foxsat HDR has been programmed correctly and will give record in HD options etc.

The 1000s can find these HD alternatives via the data doing a 'Search' or using 'Showing Again', but <Freetime> didn't think to program it to supply the record in HD option for these programmes on the actual EPG. (This is Freesats fault not Humax)

The G1 Humax HDR has been programmed by Humax to always supply the HD/SD record option for all Channel 4 programmes, CH4 don't supply any HD data for either G1 or G2 EPG's.
    <Freetime> could program the 1000s to do the same but they won't.

The not so clever programmers at <Freetime> have also decided they only want to supply HD record options for true HD programmes and not for upscaled SD. (they seem to think upscaled SD broadcast on an HD channel will look the same as on the SD channel) So not all ITV programmes will get HD record options, some do.

So if you want HD record options for BBC3/4 and Channel 4 and all the programmes on ITV complain to the clever people at Freesat <Freetime>, they supply the UI not Humax.

It is a shame this is a <Freetime> programmed Humax box and not a Humax programmed <Freetime> box, if it was the latter it wouldn't be so crap and unreliable.

Thanks for the clarification :D,
    Forum Member
    :D

That's rather interesting :D, at launch apart from the very poor Harvard boxes. The others were very similar, the fact that the G1 also rans are now.

1 No longer current
    2 Much less expensive
    3 still buggy

Ought to say something. :D

Take the G1 boxes, the Foxsat-hdr is still the most capable box by a massive margin, take the G2 box as it's the only one available the negative press doesn't mean a fat lot until there is something to compare to.

Seen it all before, as I said before given a choice would I swap my HDR-1000s for either my Foxsat-hdr or HDR FOX T2, the answer is no. Ask in 6 months or so the answer might be different :D

There are some worrying reports about the the HDR-1000s, so far touch wood I haven't experienced the 2 that are a cause for concern. I am a realist apart from the following number 1 which was 100% repeatable.

1 Failure to record the first programme of the day (appears to be fixed)

2 The box insists on reformatting the hard disk

3 The box gets in a boot / re-boot cycle.

Never said anyone should buy or not buy the HDR-1000S merely pointed out what what experiences I share and what fixed them for me. What else can anyone else honestly report as fact other than 2nd reporting what others report as in 2 or 3 above ? :confused:

Lot's ot the other comments are repeatable but frankly are so trivial that they beggar belief.

Surely though as a consumer who has paid good money for a product one should never be afraid to challenge a companies products or criticise if required. I can't think of any piece of tech that I personally have purchased that has had bugs or workarounds as described in the current Humax Freetime (not that I have bought one yet). You could I suppose say my Sky box has had bugs or isn't perfect but I didn't pay for that. I read a review on the 1000s when it was first released and the comment there was that it had potential but felt unfinished. To my mind for a big brand name such as Humax to release an unfinished product and use the public as beta testers is a high risk strategy that could backfire on them big time and reflects badly on them. Whether the fault lies with Humax or Freetime isn't the issue for the consumer - the name on the box is Humax.
  • fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To my mind for a big brand name such as Humax to release an unfinished product and use the public as beta testers is a high risk strategy that could backfire on them big time and reflects badly on them. Whether the fault lies with Humax or Freetime isn't the issue for the consumer - the name on the box is Humax.

In the world of high tech it has never been any other way. The early adopters are always used as the best true testers of all. Despite rigorous in house and public beta testing the only real test for a tech product is in the wild where previously unseen glitches and bugs are bound to show up. I have been an early adopter for many years and have yet to experience the perfect tech product. They all have bugs, some more serious than others. This is true of even the giants like Microsoft and Apple.:)
    Forum Member
    Simple :eek:, the GI and G2 epg's are seperate with the latter adding extra capabilty, because it works on one doesn't mean it will work on the other. I have experienced failed recordings on a G1 box which worked on a G2 box and vice versa.

Just because they share a datastream doesn't mean a G1 box and a G2 box get the same data.
    I get the fact that both EPGs are slightly different, but I don't get how they can be receiving different basic data that's part of the Freesat+ spec which is used by some broadcasters.
    Afterall the HDR 1000s is still a Freesat+ device so should in theory recieve exactly the same basic data as the G1 boxes get.
    Unless theres any technical specs to say otherwise im thinking on the same lines as IQ1 in that its purely down programming of the software and what it does with TV data it receives.
    Forum Member
    You clearly are happy to put up with daily finding new bugs and stupid omissions on a premium brand box, others are not.