Favourite Kate Bush album?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondered, what with the resurgence of her discography in the album charts, what everyone's favourite Kate Bush album is?

I'm in a 3-way struggle with The Dreaming, Hounds of Love and The Kick Inside.

Poll should be up soon...

Favourite Kate Bush album? 80 votes

The Kick Inside
7% 6 votes
Lionheart
5% 4 votes
Never For Ever
5% 4 votes
The Dreaming
15% 12 votes
Hounds of Love
45% 36 votes
The Sensual World
5% 4 votes
The Red Shoes
5% 4 votes
Aerial
6% 5 votes
50 Words for Snow
5% 4 votes
Director's Cut
1% 1 vote

Comments

• designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm. It's a tough one. Hounds of Love, Aerial and The Kick Inside are a three way tie for me
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Never Ever, but picked Hounds of Love for the Ninth Wave which was beyond amazing.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    I loved Never Ever, but picked Hounds of Love for the Ninth Wave which was beyond amazing.
    Have to agree .. but also love The Kick Inside and Aerial. Hounds of Love though is just phenomenal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost a 10 way tie but I love 'The Dreaming' - "This music is made to be played loud", Oh yes.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    willowfan wrote: »
    Almost a 10 way tie but I love 'The Dreaming' - "This music is made to be played loud", Oh yes.

GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Album ranking -

1. Never For Ever
    2. The Sensual World
    3. Lionheart
    4. The Dreaming
    5. Hounds of Love
    6. The Kick Inside
    7. The Red Shoes
    8. Aerial
    9. 50 Words For Snow

10. Directors Cut.

It's a shame all of her more recent output finds itself at the bottom of my list but there's very little in any of those albums to rival anything from her earlier work. Shock, horror, Hounds of Love just scrapes into my top 5. I refuse to believe the hype that it's her greatest album. I was never a big fan of The Ninth Wave.
    Btw, if I were to include This Woman's Work Vol.1 &Vol. 2 then would probably be in my top 5 knocking The Dreaming and HoL even Lowe down my chart.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hounds Of love- It encapsulates everything she is in 40 odd minutes and never been bettered. It's imaginative, pioneering with the avant garde pop nuggets that we all love. In short it's her opus and everything she is good at. then as follows:

The Dreaming
    Aerial
    The Kick Inside
    The Sensual world
    Never For Ever
    The Red Shoes
    Lionheart
    50 Words For Snow

To this day 50 words bores. Me it for me is everything she has been accused of pretentious, self indulgent and plain unlistenable.

As for Directors Cut I don't care what she says it is a compilation and a hit and miss one at that.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »
    GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! ;-)

Yep...
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sensual World is my favourite- it is the one I return to most regularly.

I find 50 Words for Snow a good album- I hear something different every time and the track Snowflake is amazing to me.

Off to see Kate tomorrow night.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And The Dreaming is so good played with volume as someone posted earlier. Pull out the Pin "It's me or him...and I love life, so pull out the pin." What a track!
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 The Red Shoes
    2 Hounds of Love
    3 Aerial
    4 The Sensual World
    5 The Dreaming
    6 The Kick Inside
    7 Director's Cut
    8 50 Words for Snow
    9 Never for Ever
    10 Lionheart
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sensual World is my favourite- it is the one I return to most regularly.

I find 50 Words for Snow a good album- I hear something different every time and the track Snowflake is amazing to me.

Off to see Kate tomorrow night.
    Lucky you ... soak it all up :)
  • substratesubstrate Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    The Dreaming.

How could it be anything else? Hugely deep, gorgeous production that takes from moments of stillness to barely-controlled chaos and not a bad song in sight.

It's not that I don't love Hounds Of Love but (controversy alert) I think that The Ninth Wave ends with an, ahem, damp squib with The Morning Fog.

I also think The Sensual World is MASSIVELY underrated. Deeper Understanding may well be her best song ever.

Having said that, I love all of her albums. Even her weakest ones have plenty of shining gems. And 50 Words For Snow is fantastic from start to finish.
  • James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    1. The Kick Inside
    2. The Red Shoes
    3. Hounds Of Love

4. Never Forever
    5. Lionheart

6. Aerial
    7. The Sensual World
    8. 50 Words For Snow
    9. The Dreaming
    10. Director's Cut
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    substrate wrote: »
    The Dreaming.

How could it be anything else? Hugely deep, gorgeous production that takes from moments of stillness to barely-controlled chaos and not a bad song in sight.

It's not that I don't love Hounds Of Love but (controversy alert) I think that The Ninth Wave ends with an, ahem, damp squib with The Morning Fog.

I also think The Sensual World is MASSIVELY underrated. Deeper Understanding may well be her best song ever.

Having said that, I love all of her albums. Even her weakest ones have plenty of shining gems. And 50 Words For Snow is fantastic from start to finish.
    Deeper Understanding would rank amongst the very few songs of hers I don't particularly like :D conversely I love Morning Fog :blush: Just goes to show ... one man's/woman's meat and all that :D
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dreaming
    The Kick Inside
    Hounds Of Love
    The Sensual World
    Never For Ever
    Aerial
    Lionheart
    The Red Shoes
    Director's Cut
    50 Words Fir Snow
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hounds of Love. As an aside, nothing after The Sensual World is as good as what went before it.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rank her albums like this:

1. Hounds of Love
    2. Aerial
    3. The Kick Inside
    4. Lionheart
    5. Never For Ever
    6. The Sensual World
    7. 50 Words For Snow
    8. The Red Shoes
    9. The Dreaming
    10. Director's Cut

A very unpopular opinion in Kate fandom, but personally The Dreaming is an album I just don't connect with on an emotional level. I also don't get the dislike for 50 Words for Snow; I think tracks like Snowflake, Lake Tahoe, Misty, Wild Man, and Among Angels, are spine tingling and are among the most beautiful songs ever written. I even like Snowed In at Wheeler Street...truly don't get the hate for Elton John's contribution to that duet.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreaming/Hounds equally for me.
    Red Shoes
    Sensual World
    Aerial
    Never for Ever
    Kick Inside
    Lion heart
    DC
    50W
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Aerial
    Hounds of Love
    The Dreaming
    Director's Cut
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Has to be Hounds of Love. Perfection from start to finish.

1. Hounds of Love
    2. Aerial
    3. The Dreaming
    4. Never for Ever
    5. The Kick Inside
    6. The Sensual World
    7. 50 Words for Snow
    8. The Red Shoes
    9. Director's Cut
    10. Lionheart (never been able to connect to this album at all)
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Red Shoes. Astonishing piece of work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    The Red Shoes. Astonishing piece of work.

Good to see The Red Shoes getting the love it deserves!
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    Good to see The Red Shoes getting the love it deserves!

I love it too. I'd probably cull You're the One and Top of the City but those apart there are some brilliant songs on there. All the single choices were wrong though IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    I love it too. I'd probably cull You're the One and Top of the City but those apart there are some brilliant songs on there. All the single choices were wrong though IMO.

They're two of my favourites on the album! :)