Did Simon and Mel Just Make Better Choices For The Lives?

nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Two weeks in and both Louis and Cheryl have already lost half their acts while Simon and Mel B remain intact. Cheryl in particular has 2 left - one of which was chosen for her by Mel B!

Does all this suggest that Simon and Mel B are doing a better job of mentoring or that they did a better job of selecting the acts in their category who should go through to the live shows?

Comments

• DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A member of the public could mentor the male category
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all, the judges don't really 'mentor' their acts as much as the show would have you believe (then again, there's a lot of things this show wants us to believe that are simply not true).

The boys category is simply impossible to fail with, just one look at previous years shows that. Simon just got lucky so far, but I suspect he'll lose an act or two in the next couple of weeks. It also has something to do with the girls and groups being dire this year, which makes the overs look better in comparison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    It's just luck of the draw. Even if it was Simon with the groups, Louis with the boys, Mel with the girls and Cheryl with the overs, the same acts would have probably left by now and Mel and Simon would look like bad mentors. Mel had a bad track record in Australia.

Sharon was out by week 5 in her final series of her first stint but won last year, Tulisa was out by week 6 after winning the previous year, Nicole was the first judge to get all of her acts to week 7 in her first year yet in her second year was out on week 8 and so on. It's nothing to do with mentoring.
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    I think it's more the audience just doesn't like girls or groups. Even Louis managed 2nd and 3rd with the boys last year.

Simon will lose Fleur soon enough.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BCO1 wrote: »
    It's just luck of the draw. Even if it was Simon with the groups, Louis with the boys, Mel with the girls and Cheryl with the overs, the same acts would have probably left by now and Mel and Simon would look like bad mentors. Mel had a bad track record in Australia.

Sharon was out by week 5 in her final series of her first stint but won last year, Tulisa was out by week 6 after winning the previous year, Nicole was the first judge to get all of her acts to week 7 in her first year yet in her second year was out on week 8 and so on. It's nothing to do with mentoring.

But, if Mel had had the girls, would she have picked the same girls for the live shows as Cheryl? Similarly would Simon have picked the same groups for the live shows as Louis?
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »
    Two weeks in and both Louis and Cheryl have already lost half their acts while Simon and Mel B remain intact. Cheryl in particular has 2 left - one of which was chosen for her by Mel B!

Does all this suggest that Simon and Mel B are doing a better job of mentoring or that they did a better job of selecting the acts in their category who should go through to the live shows?

I think Mel b was wise with her initial three picks because Andrea and Paul have the big powerful voices that are so popular on x factor, while Jake has the looks and nice personality to buy him a few weeks. Jack as the wildcard was also a very good choice as he has a slightly different sound compared to the other boys which again will buy him a few weeks.

Simon was always going to end up with popular acts due to his ego and influence on the production side of things. His choices of Ben and Jay were clever as they will have a huge appeal to women/gay guys who are attracted to more mature looking men, plus Ben can sing and jay........is........is welsh which might get a big local vote?:confused:. As for Fleur and Stevi their time is nearly up i reckon as they have played their niche roles out (urban rap act and the joke act).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    But, if Mel had had the girls, would she have picked the same girls for the live shows as Cheryl? Similarly would Simon have picked the same groups for the live shows as Louis?

Depends whether you believe the judges genuinely pick their acts, are told who to pick, or are encouraged towards certain people.
  • freeshatfreeshat Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Depends whether you believe the judges genuinely pick their acts, are told who to pick, or are encouraged towards certain people.

I guess Cheryl had little say in who she picked, or she was tone deaf, as much better singers did not make it through judges houses.

Chloe should never have got through as one example.
  • DarcyprincessDarcyprincess Posts: 25,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, both Simon and Mel have just been lucky, by the skin of their teeth. Simon with Stevie and Mel with Jake and jack. Simple as that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, both Simon and Mel have just been lucky, by the skin of their teeth. Simon with Stevie and Mel with Jake and jack. Simple as that!

To be fair to Simon though, he didn't pick Stevie - Cheryl did! Although, given that awful rendition of 500 miles last night I agree that luck might be playing a part too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know. It is one of the more common conspiracy theories that they don't genuinely pick their acts which might at least explain why some of them give the impression that they must be tone deaf when they announce their choices and we go WTF!
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,527
    Forum Member

Wasn't Lola 'chosen' by Louis

Mel 'picked' Overload Generation :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm! Perhaps Mel is only good at picking her own acts then :D
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well when you look at the 6 judges houses acts, the best 4 boys and overs probably were put through.

If you look at the girls, Kerianne/Emily would've been a better choice over Stephanie and the groups category was a shambles. Stereo Kicks was a gamble thats not working fair enough, but Overload and Blonde Electric were stupid choices and Concept and the new girl band would have made better finalists IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well when you look at the 6 judges houses acts, the best 4 boys and overs probably were put through.

If you look at the girls, Kerianne/Emily would've been a better choice over Stephanie and the groups category was a shambles. Stereo Kicks was a gamble thats not working fair enough, but Overload and Blonde Electric were stupid choices and Concept and the new girl band would have made better finalists IMO.

I would tend to agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, Mel picked last weeks group that went home.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,527
    Forum Member
    No, Mel picked last weeks group that went home.

So what I said was correct :)
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Week 2. No amount of mentoring can rectify general unpopularity at this stage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what I said was correct :)

Yes, I was just about to delete what I had put, realising they were called Overload. My mistake, so sorry. I have stereo kicks on the brain, thinking they were Overload.:blush:

Both as bad as each other though!;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was just about to delete what I had put, realising they were called Overload. My mistake, so sorry. I have stereo kicks on the brain, thinking they were Overload.:blush:

Both as bad as each other though!;-)

I wonder what would have happened if it had gone to deadlock? Would be interesting to know whether Eight Directions or Chloe was bottom (excluding Steph) of the public vote.
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I wonder what would have happened if it had gone to deadlock? Would be interesting to know whether Eight Directions or Chloe was bottom (excluding Steph) of the public vote.

I reckon the fact it didn't go to deadlock means Stereo kicks got less votes than Chloe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    I reckon the fact it didn't go to deadlock means Stereo kicks got less votes than Chloe.

You make a very compelling argument ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah but she had Ella Henderson and i think she got massively complacent and let Ella down. Having said that i am not sure the judges do much really so I am probably wrong:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Louis got it wrong but the groups were generally poor this year as they often are, Blond Electric was a mistake, Stereo Kicks are flawed and Overload were terrible. Concept should have gotten a spot.

Simon should have had Janet from Dublin, Stevi is a ridiculous pick.

Cheryl got it badly wrong, Kerianne should have been in instead of Steph. But I think the damage was done to that category before JH.

Mel made sure she had two strong acts in Andrea and Paul but Louis is totally clueless and Cheryl was as well. How can you go through all those stages and pick such dud acts? And the sing offs ?????? Abysmal.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's no surprise who was in the bottom. Stephanie was screwed over with her songs and Chloe is 'hated' for being a pretty posh blonde girl. The only saving grace, for me, is that Chloe was shit in the sing off, so she didn't help herself when it came to the crunch.

The boys are through because they are 'fit'/'cute' insert whatever. Jake is dire in comparison to Steph and most of SK.