New York Break Advice

XIVXIV Posts: 21,567
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've never posted in this part of the forum before so be nice.
I'm currently planning a week long holiday to New York from early January and I'm going on my own and that is where the dilemma starts.

My Mum is a bit worried about me going away on my own to a city such as NY and think it would be better to go with a tour group but while I like the idea, i'm having trouble finding a group tour holiday to just NY and not a trip round America. If anyone has any advice on an affordable group tour trip to NY, I will be more than happy.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I visit NY on a regular basis for business, New York is a huge metropolitan city, it’s not really a city for doing group tours as such, I can give you plenty of advice should you require it.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a week is quite a long time to spend sightseeing in new york, you could 'do' it in 3/4 days and you run the risk of boredom.

if it's affordable for you i would recommend visiting another east coast city like boston as well.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to New York for a week by myself. You'll be fine, it's a very busy city and even at 3 in the morning there's plenty of people out and about, you won't be bored, you definitely won't be lonely and it's very safe. :)
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's so much to do; when we went we had theme days; shopping, museums (Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim and Jewish Museum are recommended) plus chilling day - Central Park.

You lucky devil;)
  • QuayStQuaySt Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Jonwo

New York is a great city. My wife and I went there last year for well over a week and there was plenty to do. We felt safer there than we do in any UK city. In fact we have booked to go back there next year because we enjoyed it so much.

Sorry if this is against forum rules:

I would advise you to join the forum on Tripadvisor.com as they are a very helpful crowd and will help you plan an intinerary. You can find the New York City one here NYC Tripadvisor and there is a section for hotels as well.

Hope this helps. :)
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH took me to the US for my 50th and we spent 3 days in New York. I was quite nervous before we went but would jump at the chance to go back there.
    Buy a metro bus ticket which allows you to jump off and on buses during the same day, really cheap. Don't pay for a boat trip to see the Statue of Liberty unless you want to go really close to it. The Statton Island ferry is a commuter ferry and free to go on. It will give you a great view of the Statue and look the other way for the Brooklyn Bridge. You just travel over, hop off and either take a trip around the island or get in line to get back on the ferry.
    The Metropolitan Museum, (The Met locally) is brilliant, when we went we were touching real Tiffany glass windows taken out of old houses, even my OH was impressed as there was so much to see in there and plenty of variety. They have a website, so you can check out what's there. More than a day is needed to get around it all. It is set into Central Park along Museum Mile, the top end of Fifth Avenue. We also found the sunken garden in Central Park. Beautiful. Had a wander around Tiffany's, coffee in Trump Tower. Went into the library to see the reading room as it's been in so many films.
    If you are staying anywhere near Grand Central Station, go underneath it to find loads of choice in food at great prices. We even went into the big toy store opposite the bottom corner of Central Park, and I had a play on the giant piano like the one in the film 'Big'.
    In Times Square there is a camera about 10' off the ground outside the TGI store. It takes a picture everyday at 12 noon and puts it on a site. we made sure we took a piece of paper saying hi to the folks at home.
    http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/index.php?cam=fridays

Have a great time whatever, I'm really jealous!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I just got back a week ago. You'll feel very safe. There are cops on most blocks. Even the Subway feels fine. Just be sensible and go into places that don't look or feel right in the middle of the night!
    I felt safer in New York than I do when I'm in London.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    oxben wrote: »
    I just got back a week ago. You'll feel very safe. There are cops on most blocks. Even the Subway feels fine. Just be sensible and go into places that don't look or feel right in the middle of the night!
    I felt safer in New York than I do when I'm in London.

I thought this too. Will be going back next year...cant wait!!!:)
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I've never posted in this part of the forum before so be nice.
    I'm currently planning a week long holiday to New York from early January and I'm going on my own and that is where the dilemma starts.

My Mum is a bit worried about me going away on my own to a city such as NY and think it would be better to go with a tour group but while I like the idea, i'm having trouble finding a group tour holiday to just NY and not a trip round America. If anyone has any advice on an affordable group tour trip to NY, I will be more than happy.

Just had a brilliant thought :D:cool: If your Mum is that worried, why don't some of us come along to keep you company!:D
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm just finalizing some details before I book the break and I'm assuring my Mum that it will be okay considering I live, work and study in London, NY will be fine.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found New York felt MUCH safer to me than cities like London or Glasgow. People are so friendly, and so long as you're sensible, as you would be anywhere, there's really nothing to worry about. It's a city that's geared to young people and single people, and there is LOADS to do - I really don't think you'll run out of things to do, or get bored.

My favourite ever place in New York is the Solomon R Guggenheim. It's near Central Park, so you could walk there a bit, then see the gallery - it's in a FABULOUS spiral building, and it's worth it just for that.

Depending what you're into and what you like, there are all sorts of things. Get the boat out to Liberty and Ellis Islands (I LOVED Ellis Island - really interesting), go to a show on Broadway, go shopping, art galleries, and just generally famous views that you've seen in films and on telly.

One thing I'd recommend doing at some stage during the planning is watching loads of things set in New York, I bet that gives you ideas for things to see. Friends, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sex and the City, Taxi Driver, CSI... whatever you fancy, but it's bound to inspire you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try and book yourself a Big Apple Greeter (google will give you the link) - they are a local new yorker who will show you the city free of charge for a couple of hours. You can specify areas you would like to see and they will match you or you can have greeters choice where they show you their favourite parts of the city.

Our BAG showed us some fabulous art around midtown that we wouldn't have even known was there otherwise.
  • ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I've been to New York a couple of times, once on my own.
    I think you'll be fine and doubt you'll be bored. There are a million and one things to do.

The tripadvisor.com recommendation above is a good one.

Personally, I'd avoid tour groups like the plague. Who wants to be told what time you're allowed to eat, sleep and crap? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I second the idea above of getting the Staten Island Ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island, to get a good view of the Statue of Liberty for next to nothing; at Staten Island just come back again.
    Half price ticket booth in Times Square is good for Broadway shows.