Options

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol, BBC1 Xmas Day, 6pm.

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shizuku wrote: »
    Hmm, isn't that the case with the majority of Dr Who episodes?We often 'know' that the crisis at the centre of the plot will be averted, it's journey that matters not the destination.

well apart from in Earth Shock....:D
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »

That was one to celebrate at the end.
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a truly dull first 20 mins it finally got going, overall it wasnt great but did have enough great moments and elements to make it worthwhile, the Dr's psychic paper conking out and the "big lie" one-liner was good and so was the one-liner after the big shark attack - "what colour? - er big colour!" The revelation of what the numbers on the freezers were for was well done though could have done without the repeated christmas eves beforehand! Was glad there was no cop out ending with Abi being saved. The in jokes with the reappearance of the scarf and the fez were neat and the acting was excellent from Gambon and Jenkins wasnt asked to do to much and what she did was fine. The Ghost of Christmas furture twist was very clever and prob my fav bit. As for Rory and Amy, they were sorely missed when they were off screen - the embarassment over their costumes and their coyness in never fully explaining why they chose those was funny, but you never got to know the crew of the ship well enough to care about them imo

So i enjoyed enough, but felt it could have been better, the trailer at the end looks most promising though and i will be looking forward to the return of Riversong and maybe the resolution of some of her mysteries but as for the xmas ep i would give it 6 out of 10.
  • Options
    ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that episode may have been before my time :D
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a clever story and the setting was incredibly atmospheric; I know they're working with limited budgets but it was pretty impressive IMHO.

Not gonna lie; it was flawed in parts. The 'singing' angle seemed to be wedged in simply because they got Katherine Jenkins and it was getting a bit 'twee' at the end. Rory, and to some extent Amy, was criminally underused. It was a bit rushed for what they wanted to fit in (some would say this is a general failing of New Who) - it would have been nice, for instance, to see the relationship between young Gambon and Jenkins develop a bit more. And I don't understand why evil-meglomaniac-father guy would take a woman with 8 days to live as security for a loan.... surely he wouldn't see much 'worth' attaching to that? :confused:

They weren't killer failings though, and it was incredibly watchable, well-acted and produced and very entertaining. Still the best thing on the box at Christmas .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Barracute wrote: »
    the embarassment over their costumes and their coyness in never fully explaining why they chose those was funny

I was expecting their clothes to be part of an interesting plot twist involving time travel. Instead it was just a smutty sexual role-playing reference. Imagine my disappointment.

:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was expecting their clothes to be part of an interesting plot twist involving time travel. Instead it was just a smutty sexual role-playing reference. Imagine my disappointment.

:(

lol, most people said from the start it would be a bit of role play...:D

ironic that you didn't believe my two doctors in the forest theory but expected this...;)

anyway, while not mad on the pre credit sequence as a whole, i did enjoy that little joke. :)
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SoundWall wrote: »
    FANTASTIC!
    A huge improvement on last year's mawkish and self-referential indulgence that called itself a special.

I would agree with that as well. TEOT I + II remain some of my least favourite New Who episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was one to celebrate at the end.

well now, didn't like adric, but actually, ironically, i thought he was quite good in that episode (for him) and was genuinely moved as child by his death...was really the first time i had come across death in my life in any way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well now, didn't like adric, but actually, ironically, i thought he was quite good in that episode (for him) and was genuinely moved as child by his death...was really the first time i had come across death in my life in any way.

Yes, but now you can see that he was just an irritating little gimp.
  • Options
    Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    The more I think about it the better it gets...it's a surprisingly cerebal and emotional tale for a Christmas story which demanded close attention to get the best out of it (which seems to be a Moffat trademark), and watching some of Confidential on BBC Three afterwards helped to fill in the missing blanks (or I wasn't paying enough attention to begin with).

A very clever, imaginative and absorbing production, featuring some excellent effects which are all the more impressive considering their limited budget compared with US sci-fi, and certainly the best thing on television this Christmas (so far) by a long way. It's a bit like Voyage of the Damned with an IQ (and VOTD wasn't that bad either).

Well done BBC Wales!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol, most people said from the start it would be a bit of role play...:D

ironic that you didn't believe my two doctors in the forest theory but expected this...;)

I'd not seen hardly any spoilers for this episode though. I only knew that they were wearing costumes from last series. I really thought they'd been spun back in time! But no!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Kaii - wrote: »
    I don't know what it is about this new doctor but it just doesn't seem like a proper Dr Who program

Yeah agree. Get someone older to play him.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    well I loved it

Far better than Caterine Tate running around shouting and screaming

It also make a change for it not to be set on earth

all I can say is there are some right miserable people out there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warming wrote: »
    Yeah agree. Get someone older to play him.

or, since Smith is the most popular thing about the show at this time, don't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My stupid sodding Sky+ hasn't recorded it, I am GUTTED. Looked on iplayer, but there's only the Confidential on there at the moment. Does anyone know when (or if) it's going to be repeated anytime soon?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pop_Noodle wrote: »
    My stupid sodding Sky+ hasn't recorded it, I am GUTTED. Looked on iplayer, but there's only the Confidential on there at the moment. Does anyone know when (or if) it's going to be repeated anytime soon?

It's on iplayer now.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solid60 wrote: »
    It's on iplayer now.:)

ohh good, might watch it in a bit while i wait for the cricket to start :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you off to watch, have managed to avoid spoilers this year.
  • Options
    Harris_07Harris_07 Posts: 27,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the episode a lot. I did thought it would be better, but it was still very good. My favourite bits were the 7258 scene, when The Doctor said something along the lines of "I've been travelling time and space for over 900 years and I've never met anybody who wasn't important (Matt Smith delivered that line very well, in my opinion) and Amy and Rory's outfit, but mainly Amy's.
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, this episode seems to have divided opinion in no uncertain manner. It would be interesting to know the ages of the various posters. I may be completely wrong of course, but I would not be at all surprised to learn that many of the detractors, and those who think that Katherine Jenkins can't sing, are on the young side. Those who liked it, however - including myself - may well have been round the block a few more times. That is not an absolute division, by the way, and doesn't make us any better or more entitled to our opinion, but at least we can draw on greater experience when formulating that opinion. We have to because we no longer have the energy to watch with a laptop on our knee and record every kneejerk reaction while the programme is actually on.

For what it is worth, I thought it was quite magical. I always watch the Christmas specials, but this is the first one that I have really enjoyed. The others tended to have a rather cobbled-together feel to them, but this was beautifully crafted and different. Michael Gambon played his part superbly, as he always does, and the young boy was also impressive. As for Katherine Jenkins, she is a singer rather than an actress and her role was not that demanding, but I thought she carried it off perfectly respectably. Apparently it was her first acting job since being the Virgin Mary in a Nativity play, aged six.

What concerned me most, though, was what happened to the sonic screwdriver? Will the Tardis now grow a new one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, this episode seems to have divided opinion in no uncertain manner.

if you go by any episode thread you would think an episode divided people, but the polls usually tell a different story.;)

Unfortunately it looks as though we may not be getting a poll tonight, but as i posted early, on GB around 75% of posters rate this episode 8/10 or above, which i think at least gives us an idea of things.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Hate to say it, but I thought the episode was dreadful. Good acting all round, but just a bad plot.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worse than "The Space Museum".
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Well I loved it. :) The cinematography was amazing and so atmospheric. It really was perfect for Christmas day. Michael Gambon was brilliant and Katherine Jenkins really surprised me with how natural her acting was. Matt was amazing as always and I thought it was one of the most clever interpretations of the Christmas Carol that I've ever seen.

Roll on the next series which looks amazing from the preview. :D