Anyone get the impression The Doctor has "forgotten" the last 4 years?

Scoobyh1Scoobyh1 Posts: 2,131
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone get that impression that the new doctor Matt Smith has forgotten all about the last 4 years?

I dont recall there being ANY mention of Rose, Martha, Donna...nothing.

No mention of any previous storylines....

Its as if the last 4 series and 1 year of specials have been erased.

Its as if the The Doctor is completely brand new.

Maybe its just me i dont know...lol

Comments

• TemporalParadoxTemporalParadox Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Scoobyh1 wrote: »
    Does anyone get that impression that the new doctor Matt Smith has forgotten all about the last 4 years?

I very much doubt he's forgotten the last four years. He just hasn't mentioned any of it.
    The Moff just doesn't want to dwell on what's happened in the past any more. The show can't advance if they keep thinking about the companions of the 9th and 10th Doctor eras.
    Anyway, he remembered Sarah Jane, Rani and Clyde as well as Jo Grant in SJA. Plus he remembered River Song
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Completely new and boring. So boring I fell asleep.
    Forum Member

If you hate the new series of Doctor Who, then why are you still here. Go find a new favourite TV show or learn to accept the new one. Try to not be fussy like me.
    To be honest I don't see much of a difference now than what it used to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Specails allowed him come to terms with the loss of his companions...with seeing Martha happy and Donna getting Married, and knowing that even though Rose was stuck on a parallel world she woudn't change the time she had with him at all....so he has no reason to mention them....but we still have the occasional thing mentioned...for example, he wonderd why no one rememberd the the Cyberking, or the Dalek Invasion in Journey's end....the Daleks in Victory were from Journey's end.....as well as when the Doctor tells the atraxi to look at what he has done to save the planet, we see clips of past adventures..as well as Ten, and we see them when he shows Craig through the head butt who he is....in the extended scenes...in case you haven't seen them
    yet
    we are shown clips of all companions as well as Donna/Martha/Rose, and the Doctor mentions the word mate and takes it back as if he is remembering the little misunderstanding of the word he had with Donna

Plus River is very much part of the events that happen in series 4...she will also be told of Donna one day...so things haven't been forgotton...what may have gone is the memory of big invasions from the minds of the people in the Whouniverse....just so they can tell stories where people are suprised of aliens again....
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we also had the Meanwhile in the TARDIS companion roll call :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I am glad there are no mentions of past companions - that's why I find Rose so annoying, considering how often she was mentioned in series 3 she may as well have been the companion! Her return overshadowed Donna's exit imo, and that's one of the reasons I dislike Journey's End so much.
    We've never before had the Doctor continually mention past companions so I don't really see the need. That's why I love Moffat's era so much, it's brand new and exciting and doesn't rely heavily on what's come before :)
    Forum Member
    Personally, I am glad there are no mentions of past companions - that's why I find Rose so annoying, considering how often she was mentioned in series 3 she may as well have been the companion! Her return overshadowed Donna's exit imo, and that's one of the reasons I dislike Journey's End so much.
    We've never before had the Doctor continually mention past companions so I don't really see the need. That's why I love Moffat's era so much, it's brand new and exciting and doesn't rely heavily on what's come before :)

Lol, it does now. The series story arc just shifted over into another series :eek::sleep::D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, it does now. The series story arc just shifted over into another series :eek::sleep::D:D

Well, I meant with characters and stuff :p But technically, the series 5 arc of the cracks had been dealt with ;) And The Silence just came in at the end :p

But yes, I suppose there's River as well, but she's constantly turning out to be someone new and has an unfolding story, so I don't count that really ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the reasons she was gone onto be mentioned as such was a theme set in School Reunion, about the Doctor not even remembering those of his past, let alone mentioning them..ie Sarah....so becuase of the way he lost her, he rembered her, but the Doctor actually stopped mentioning her after Shakespeare Code, theonly other time being as John Smith (but then he also rememberd the Slitheen...so take from that what you want;)) and then when Jack came back...which was obviously going to be a natural question on his part about what happend to Rose. It was Martha who probably spoke of her more.....but even then those scene lasted no more than a minute or so. And then as she was was part of the reality ending and parallel world walls breaking, her mention and return were invetible...after all she didn't stop time getting in her way in Parting of Ways...but personally i don't feel she overshadowed Donna at all...i=even Turn Left satyed very much about Donna, as well as the finale...because Rose didn't have a substantial role, but that of a supporting guest.

And yes Moff doesn't get the Doctor to mention her, but then Ten had really started doing the same as well in series 4....he mentioned Martha more, and then in the specials, he thought about Donna more....but the specials put an end to his worries....so with a brand new start, it makes no sense for Moff to continue that theme because the theme itself has been finished by RTD, in the very same way RTD didn't continue heavy laden themes from the classic series....because it is about starting again, and making your own themes. I'm sure when Amy leaves, she will leave a mark on him, even if is a happy mark...as well as River's mystery.....and there be more lore being created through this new production team that will obviously be rounded up for good when Moff leaves.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    the reasons she was gone onto be mentioned as such was a theme set in School Reunion, about the Doctor not even remembering those of his past, let alone mentioning them..ie Sarah....so becuase of the way he lost her, he rembered her, but the Doctor actually stopped mentioning her after Shakespeare Code, theonly other time being as John Smith (but then he also rememberd the Slitheen...so take from that what you want;)) and then when Jack came back...which was obviously going to be a natural question on his part about what happend to Rose. It was Martha who probably spoke of her more.....but even then those scene lasted no more than a minute or so. And then as she was was part of the reality ending and parallel world walls breaking, her mention and return were invetible...after all she didn't stop time getting in her way in Parting of Ways...but personally i don't feel she overshadowed Donna at all...i=even Turn Left satyed very much about Donna, as well as the finale...because Rose didn't have a substantial role, but that of a supporting guest.

And yes Moff doesn't get the Doctor to mention her, but then Ten had really started doing the same as well in series 4....he mentioned Martha more, and then in the specials, he thought about Donna more....but the specials put an end to his worries....so with a brand new start, it makes no sense for Moff to continue that theme because the theme itself has been finished by RTD, in the very same way RTD didn't continue heavy laden themes from the classic series....because it is about starting again, and making your own themes. I'm sure when Amy leaves, she will leave a mark on him, even if is a happy mark...as well as River's mystery.....and there be more lore being created through this new production team that will obviously be rounded up for good when Moff leaves.:)

Well, I know I said to you I would try to enjoy Journey's End more on my rewatch...well I did try, but I just hate everything about it - sorry! You did manage to make me enjoy Love and Monsters a lot more though! :D

You're probably quite right about mentioning Martha, and yes, I do agree that Turn Left was very much about Donna, but I'm tired and grumpy so I'm not thinking about what I'm writing in too much detail :o:D

I agree with the last paragraph though :) I do hope Amy is referenced too much though. I think Rose made Martha feel inadequate and I think that's quite out of character for any Doctor which is why I am not that fond of what happened. Although I suppose that's part of Martha's character development (in series 3 anyway), gaining independence.
    Despite this, series 3 is my favourite RTD series with 8/10 from me, although series 5 blew it away with 9.5/10 (oh, the controversy :p:D) - so, I do really like series 3 still :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I know I said to you I would try to enjoy Journey's End more on my rewatch...well I did try, but I just hate everything about it - sorry! You did manage to make me enjoy Love and Monsters a lot more though! :D

You're probably quite right about mentioning Martha, and yes, I do agree that Turn Left was very much about Donna, but I'm tired and grumpy so I'm not thinking about what I'm writing in too much detail :o:D

I agree with the last paragraph though :) I do hope Amy is referenced too much though. I think Rose made Martha feel inadequate and I think that's quite out of character for any Doctor which is why I am not that fond of what happened. Although I suppose that's part of Martha's character development (in series 3 anyway), gaining independence.
    Despite this, series 3 is my favourite RTD series with 8/10 from me, although series 5 blew it away with 9.5/10 (oh, the controversy :p:D) - so, I do really like series 3 still :)

Did you say that? I honestly can't remember:o:D
    I love Journey's End, but I know its not without its problems....but this and Big Bang are the two types of story that part of me tells me that I shouldn't be liking, because they are too bonkers, but in the end that is what makes me love them so much....they both make me feel like a kid again...find myself laughing, crying, jumping for joy....its fantastic ride.
    Though at the same time it isn't the most hated story in the world, unlike Love and Monsters....and that is why its my mission to make people like the Latter!!! And it worked with you...so one down, another 60 billion to go!!!!:D

Perosnally, even though I feel Amy will leave a mark on the Doctor, I don't feel he will act the way he did with Martha...he learnt his lesson from that...hence why he treated Donna better, and now Amy, he was able to deal with her little crush quite quickly...so I don't think we have to worry about such idiocy from the Doctor.....so he may mention her, but not to put his next companion down. I do wonder if we will see him mentioning Donna to River though...or whether that will be an ofscreen thing. And there is every chance that Jack could come back.....sometime in the future....so while there is new ground being made, in regards to the OP's point...the past hasn't been forgotton...

Series 5 was the weakest for me....but only because there were more stories that I didn't enjoy compared to past series (which have about only one in each series that that I wasn't in the mood to rave for)...the themes and ideas behind them are great as ever...love Amy, Rory and River....and series 6 looks out of those world!!!! so yeah lots to look forward too
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing to do with the thread. Well done Einstein.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Did you say that? I honestly can't remember:o:D
    I love Journey's End, but I know its not without its problems....but this and Big Bang are the two types of story that part of me tells me that I shouldn't be liking, because they are too bonkers, but in the end that is what makes me love them so much....they both make me feel like a kid again...find myself laughing, crying, jumping for joy....its fantastic ride.
    Though at the same time it isn't the most hated story in the world, unlike Love and Monsters....and that is why its my mission to make people like the Latter!!! And it worked with you...so one down, another 60 billion to go!!!!:D

Perosnally, even though I feel Amy will leave a mark on the Doctor, I don't feel he will act the way he did with Martha...he learnt his lesson from that...hence why he treated Donna better, and now Amy, he was able to deal with her little crush quite quickly...so I don't think we have to worry about such idiocy from the Doctor.....so he may mention her, but not to put his next companion down. I do wonder if we will see him mentioning Donna to River though...or whether that will be an ofscreen thing. And there is every chance that Jack could come back.....sometime in the future....so while there is new ground being made, in regards to the OP's point...the past hasn't been forgotton...

Series 5 was the weakest for me....but only because there were more stories that I didn't enjoy compared to past series (which have about only one in each series that that I wasn't in the mood to rave for)...the themes and ideas behind them are great as ever...love Amy, Rory and River....and series 6 looks out of those world!!!! so yeah lots to look forward too

I did indeed AGES ago, I think it was before I joined the Doctor Who Fans Thread, so I don't blame you for not remembering! Maybe it came up in the Fans thread as well...can't remember either :D

I think it's really interesting how we can have such differing views on the same show, for me series 5 was by far the strongest and for you it was the weakest. It's actually quite interesting. I do find it less than interesting when people are childish about not liking a series though! That's why I njoy talking to you - get a proper intelligent discussion with you :D

The past definately hasn't been forgotten though: just remember how many jokes there were about Liz 1 ;) Jack is a weird one for me: loved him in series 1, like him in series 3 and was indifferent to him in series 4. But if he does appear soon, I'm sure it will be for a good reason and hopefully it won't be just for old times sakes. Although with the ongoing River stuff I'm sure Moffat wouldn't want the show to get too crowded!
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's very different from 'old' new Who. It seems that there are fewer characters and the episodes are less epic. Also, the scenes seem to be shot with a blue hue much of the time and the overall look is darker than series 1-4. I put this down to new production team.

It is a completely new series and though I like it some of the time and love Matt Smith, I don't love it as much as the previous era. And I agree that I don't get a sense of this doctor having much sense of his own history. I would have liked Matt Smith to have been the new doctor with the old production team and then there may have been more continuity.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

There hasn't been any mention of them no but why would there be? He's said goodbye to them and moved on, as he has with the many of other companions he's travelled with over the years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member

Previous companions get a mention in SJA: The Death of the Doctor, but I think that's because Russell T Davies wrote it. Otherwise I see what you mean, but I don't think that's a bad thing. The Doctor hardly ever mentioned old companions in the original series, I suspect because a lot of the viewers wouldn't actually know who they were and wouldn't be very interested in them, just as references to Rose, Martha and Donna won't mean much to people who have just found out about Doctor Who and started watching from series 5.

I have also noticed though, that Matt Smith's 11th Doctor hardly ever has anything to say about the Time War, being the last of the Time Lords, and doesn't go in for the "O woe is me" self-angsty stuff that the 9th and 10th Doctors were a bit prone to. He just seems to get on with stuff and keep all the doom and gloom to himself. Which is fine by me.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Previous companions get a mention in SJA: I have also noticed though, that Matt Smith's 11th Doctor hardly ever has anything to say about the Time War, being the last of the Time Lords, and doesn't go in for the "O woe is me" self-angsty stuff that the 9th and 10th Doctors were a bit prone to. He just seems to get on with stuff and keep all the doom and gloom to himself. Which is fine by me.

It's far more subtle, like when Abigail said something about who wouldn't want one more day with their loved ones, and was it Vincent who said he wouldn't understand what it was like to be so alone or something like that, the occasional moment of silence then he goes off on some ramble or gets manic and this Doctor obviously prefers not to talk about himself of his background in that way. Which is a bit of a relief after the last few years. Of course what he does or talks about off camera we don't know.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been the odd brief mention, hasn't there? Didn't he ask Amy why she couldn't remember The Daleks and The Planets In The Sky(Stolen Earth) and I think he mentioned about a Cyber King walking over London in the The Angels story somewhere as well. (The Next Doctor). The Last Of The Time Lord thing is still ongoing and he a possible reference to The End Of Time when he said it was a bad day somewhere too.

And in the SJA he mentioned about how he visited all his companions before he last died, so yes, things have been mentioned, but very brefly. :)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    There has been the odd brief mention, hasn't there? Didn't he ask Amy why she couldn't remember The Daleks and The Planets In The Sky(Stolen Earth) and I think he mentioned about a Cyber King walking over London in the The Angels story somewhere as well. (The Next Doctor). The Last Of The Time Lord thing is still ongoing and he a possible reference to The End Of Time when he said it was a bad day somewhere too.

And in the SJA he mentioned about how he visited all his companions before he last died, so yes, things have been mentioned, but very brefly. :)
    The references you're looking for are in Flesh and Stone, where he realises that the cracks may have rewritten time and explained why no-one remembers the Cyberking stomping all over London. In The Beast Below, his reference to a 'bad day' was most likely to the Time War, not EOT.

Eleventh is definitely a 'live in the moment' sort of Doctor!
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would a new production team with a new Doctor, trying to put their own stamp on the show, want to keep reminding the audience of the previous team by referencing their stories? The Doctor is a traveler. He moves on. It's what he's always done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Previous companions get a mention in SJA: The Death of the Doctor, but I think that's because Russell T Davies wrote it. Otherwise I see what you mean, but I don't think that's a bad thing. The Doctor hardly ever mentioned old companions in the original series, I suspect because a lot of the viewers wouldn't actually know who they were and wouldn't be very interested in them, just as references to Rose, Martha and Donna won't mean much to people who have just found out about Doctor Who and started watching from series 5.

I have also noticed though, that Matt Smith's 11th Doctor hardly ever has anything to say about the Time War, being the last of the Time Lords, and doesn't go in for the "O woe is me" self-angsty stuff that the 9th and 10th Doctors were a bit prone to. He just seems to get on with stuff and keep all the doom and gloom to himself. Which is fine by me.

& me too !
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    In series 5 he seemed to remember a lot of things. He refers to The Stolen Earth, the Cyber King, bonking Elizabeth 1. :D

So what if he doesn't refer to previous companions? Most of the previous Doctors don't dwell on past companions, it was only Doc10 who couldn't get over bloody Rose. :D
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should Eleven ever mention Ten's companions?

Did Two ever mention Ian and Barbara?

Did Three ever mention Ben, Polly, Zoe or Jamie?

Did Four ever mention Jo or Liz?

Did Five ever mention Romana or Leela?

Did Six ever mention Nyssa, Tegan or Turlough?

Did Seven ever mention Peri?

Did Eight ever mention Ace?

Did Nine ever mention Grace Holloway?

The answer to all these questions is "no".

It was bad enough having Ten go on about Rose every five minutes when his companion was Martha, and again when it was Donna, so to have Eleven go on about Ten's companions all the time (especially Rose) would be insufferable.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should Eleven ever mention Ten's companions?

Did Two ever mention Ian and Barbara?

Did Seven ever mention Peri?

Did Eight ever mention Ace?

Did Nine ever mention Grace Holloway?

The answer to all these questions is "no".

It was bad enough having Ten go on about Rose every five minutes when his companion was Martha, and again when it was Donna, so to have Eleven go on about Ten's companions all the time (especially Rose) would be insufferable.

Well if that contribution doesn't put an end to this thread nothing will. Well put by the way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but he did mention Barbara Ian and Susan
    No but he did mention Vicky (or more likely VIctoria)
    Yes to both
    The UNIT era companions got mentioned too.
    Tegan yes
    Sarah Jane and a handful of others where mentioned too

The answer to all these questions is "no"
    Ahem!.

Most had a reason why they where mentioned at the time, but forgotten completly they where not.