• NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an interesting explanation of how PBS stations acquire Doc Martin:

http://www.witf.org/on-air/2013/07/where-is-doc-martin.php
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think it is where we want him, Last Romantic. His blood phobia is not a substitute for caring and concern about others - and capacity for intimacy -- but, psychodynamically speaking, a defense against recognizing and acknowledging his desire for closeness and intimacy. Cognitive-behavioral therapy, such as he did under Dr. Milligan's supervision, does a good job of resolving such phobias, but the particular kind he did -- desensitization -- not such a good job of working on the underlying conflict. Still, he seems to have come a long way more or less on his own and perhaps we can expect that the haemophobia will not be nearly so troublesome in future.

Thank you, NewPark--so he fears familiarity and involvement with others and is using the blood phobia as a defense. This makes more sense to me.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    I thought the horse was actually a tribute to MC, and sorry, cat on railing ? Don't recall a cat - is this a play on Catz?

Mrs. Averill's cat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an interesting explanation of how PBS stations acquire Doc Martin:

http://www.witf.org/on-air/2013/07/where-is-doc-martin.php

This article explains what I found out from research and contacting my local PBS station,
    that each local PBS station decides what it can afford,
    and whether to buy a program at all,
    that DM is expensive,
    and when it will air it.

It really is interesting what I've learned living in the Doc Martin universe that I didn't know before. The questions, the wonderings, the locations, etc. have kept me every bit as active in research work as I was helping my students as their librarian. What fun in retirement to play in my own interest fields!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, ReneeBird! I was confused about some of it--but with a little help and in the clear light of day, I see it all now! Except for the yellow flowers--where did they come in? Or is that for the flower Louisa put in Martin's lapel? Anyone?

Yes, I would say so

On the night of the ill-fated concert...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Deleted because I was wrong. :)
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Wrong about you, leaving, everything?

Maybe with a 2 year hiatus I will be able to put it out of my mind totally and realise I wasn't wrong about anything!. :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I agree that the story deteriorated especially in S3. For me, I'll take any opportunity to see MC. He is especially appealing in this role. I'd even watch the 1980's vintage Dr. Who even though it looks so lame and chintzy. I guess I'm just a fan.
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Yes, we all pretty much agree that the story took a nose dive and most were very critical of Julie Graham's character but I still liked MC throughout - they did make his character a bit of a sap but he was still cute and sexy.

I think I am too judgemental. I sit there yelling at the screen - dont sell yourself short, you are a great guy, don't put up with the hijinks from that awful woman. I get too involved for MC to save the show and I turn it off and look for something sensible and meaningful with good writing - few and far between but I think I've found one...and...it's still frustrating!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Right after Doc tripped over Mrs. Avrill's cat Tom-Tom, Martin described the village as a petting zoo (dogs, cats, badgers) and he and Louisa agreed that they both hate cats. I always figured it was a little joke, a play on CC's surname.

Hey, Renee, your photo with all of the DM stuff is wonderful! How fun is that?

Thank-you Biffpup! I did have a lot of fun, although my son got a little tired of helping me carry all the stuff in and out because I kept thinking of more things. I was afraid you all might think I was a little obsessed, but I figured if anyone understood, it would be you guys! :cool::)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Right after Doc tripped over Mrs. Avrill's cat Tom-Tom, Martin described the village as a petting zoo (dogs, cats, badgers) and he and Louisa agreed that they both hate cats. I always figured it was a little joke, a play on CC's surname.

Ah, yes, I remember it well.....now. After a certain age, one does need some reminding now and again

This was fun, we'll take more, we are starved. And filming will wrap soon, oh, my, what will we do?????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I am too judgemental. I sit there yelling at the screen - dont sell yourself short, you are a great guy, don't put up with the hijinks from that awful woman. I get too involved for MC to save the show and I turn it off and look for something sensible and meaningful with good writing - few and far between but I think I've found one...and...it's still frustrating!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I, too, got a bit frustrated with Mary in William and Mary because she was opinionated (aren't we all) but then hot-headed to boot but it worked for the show and the contrast in characters, but particularly in S3 she was a lot of awful. I think one of the problems was the writing was not up to the same standard as S1/2. It did not bring us along to understand her underlying emotions--it only sprung them on us (particularly that she was blaming William for Terence going to his dad's) after we had to watch her be so awful to our beloved William (or was it MC we were rooting for?)

Just another thought. For us Clunatics, the show seemed to start out as a romance, but by S3 took us into several hard family problems and put most of the romance away. And maybe we just wanted to see our lovely MC in a nice romance.

For me, I enjoyed the show, because it looked at a new relationship in a mature way; in other words, by showing how two adults can come together and slowly incorporate kids, parents, friends, old boyfriends, and deal with difficult circumstances along the way in a fairly realistic setting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is where we want him, Last Romantic. His blood phobia is not a substitute for caring and concern about others - and capacity for intimacy -- but, psychodynamically speaking, a defense against recognizing and acknowledging his desire for closeness and intimacy. Cognitive-behavioral therapy, such as he did under Dr. Milligan's supervision, does a good job of resolving such phobias, but the particular kind he did -- desensitization -- not such a good job of working on the underlying conflict. Still, he seems to have come a long way more or less on his own and perhaps we can expect that the haemophobia will not be nearly so troublesome in future.
    Thank you, NewPark--so he fears familiarity and involvement with others and is using the blood phobia as a defense. This makes more sense to me.

His blood phobia is also a catalyst of change, isn't it?

It made him leave surgery and move to Portwenn.

He becomes involved with LG and each time he tries to return to surgery it resurfaces to prevent him until he does the cognitive therapy. Then it resurfaces when LG has the baby but disappears again when he has to stay in Portwenn for the baby in s5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Other than the one meeting with Dr. Milligan and Martin's de-sensitization audio and video exercises, do we know if Martin actually met with a psychologist on a regular basis or did he do all of the de-sensitization on his own?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Other than the one meeting with Dr. Milligan and Martin's de-sensitization audio and video exercises, do we know if Martin actually met with a psychologist on a regular basis or did he do all of the de-sensitization on his own?

I don't think we ever heard or saw anything that would lead us to believe he had another meeting with Dr. Milligan or anyone else.

Before he operates on Eleanor, I do think we see him take a moment to "compose" himself according to his treatment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we ever heard or saw anything that would lead us to believe he had another meeting with Dr. Milligan or anyone else.

Before he operates on Eleanor, I do think we see him take a moment to "compose" himself according to his treatment.

Right, just the one face to face meeting with Dr. Doogie Hawser Milligan and his nasal whistle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoiler photo(s) at the FB fan page today.
    There are lots and lots of photos of set up for some sort of party on the beach just down from Bert's place (which is also dolled up). It's very strange. In some photos Al is wearing a sombrero and a tie. In others, he and Bert are back in their old plumber outfits. Joe Penhale is in the NYC cop garb once again. Mrs. T and the new chemist are both there, as is Morwenna, and....

Here's a blast from the past. Caroline Bosman is back!

It's an odd looking party, with a stage with disc jockey equipment, colorful umbrellas, lamp shades hung from cords, Chinese lanterns, sombreros, Hawaiian leis, tiki torches and a Polynesian looking thatch hut. I guess you could say it's a multicultural event! ;)

Or it's a weird dream sequence. Can't figure it out.

Here you go. Tons of photos at this link. Keep hitting the next button until you see Caroline Bosman.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=604773849555462&set=oa.10151786663411660&type=1&theater

Here are the ones showing Bert, Al, and Joe in odd garb. Several shots here.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200216757683939&set=gm.10151786080606660&type=1&theater

And, a bunch of new photos posted of Doc and Mrs. T.(not spoiler-ish) taken on July 11. Some good ones of DM/MC.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151729563290804&set=gm.10151786507506660&type=1&theater
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoiler photo(s) at the FB fan page today.
    There are lots and lots of photos of set up for some sort of party on the beach just down from Bert's place (which is also dolled up). It's very strange. In some photos Al is wearing a sombrero and a tie. In others, he and Bert are back in their old plumber outfits. Joe Penhale is in the NYC cop garb once again. Mrs. T and the new chemist are both there, as is Morwenna, and....

Here's a blast from the past. Caroline Bosman is back!

It's an odd looking party, with a stage with disc jockey equipment, colorful umbrellas, lamp shades hung from cords, Chinese lanterns, sombreros, Hawaiian leis, tiki torches and a Polynesian looking thatch hut. I guess you could say it's a multicultural event! ;)

Or it's a weird dream sequence. Can't figure it out.

Here you go. Tons of photos at this link. Keep hitting the next button until you see Caroline Bosman.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=604773849555462&set=oa.10151786663411660&type=1&theater

Here are the ones showing Bert, Al, and Joe in odd garb. Several shots here.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200216757683939&set=gm.10151786080606660&type=1&theater

And, a bunch of new photos posted of Doc and Mrs. T.(not spoiler-ish) taken on July 11. Some good ones of DM/MC.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151729563290804&set=gm.10151786507506660&type=1&theater

In the pictures you reference in your spoiler, I am SO confused about what is happening. Looks like they have done a good job of hiding what is going on while filming in a very public place!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the pictures you reference in your spoiler, I am SO confused about what is happening. Looks like they have done a good job of hiding what is going on while filming in a very public place!

I know. It's a weird mixed bag, isn't it? And lots of people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think CC is now a millionaire as a result of starring in DM? And any idea how much the other regular cast members have made?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Directors Note Monday:
    All cast are to dress up in weird garb to confuse those pesky visitors to Port Isaac and facebook fans. He he he he.

They are not going to send me crazy. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think CC is now a millionaire as a result of starring in DM? And any idea how much the other regular cast members have made?

This might help you stateside fan.

I think CC is far from a millionaire.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-05-14/how-much-do-soap-stars-earn
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so mad!:mad::mad::mad:This so rude. Here we go again with those awful ads blocking part of our posts. It seems to clear up for a day or two, and then they are up to their old tricks.. The Universal Orlando and Transformers Resort people blocking on page 198 over post #4926. Do these people pay an advertising fee to Digital Spy for invading us like this!:mad::mad::mad: Who gets these ads on here in the first place. I am typing this with a cast over my right hand, by the way.:mad::mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might help you stateside fan.

I think CC is far from a millionaire.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-05-14/how-much-do-soap-stars-earn

Good article, cc.
    I noticed the words "repeat fee". I am guessing that means that every time the episode is shown again, each actor gets a bit of change in his/her pocket. For Doc Martin, shown in so many countries and repeated as it is on PBS stations, that seems like it could add up to a chunk of change!

But maybe I got it wrong. Adelie or someone in the biz, can you shed some professional light on the subject? By the way, how are you dear Adelie? Busy as ever?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

I never found Caroline -
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    I am so mad!:mad::mad::mad:This so rude. Here we go again with those awful ads blocking part of our posts. It seems to clear up for a day or two, and then they are up to their old tricks.. The Universal Orlando and Transformers Resort people blocking on page 198 over post #4926. Do these people pay an advertising fee to Digital Spy for invading us like this!:mad::mad::mad: Who gets these ads on here in the first place. I am typing this with a cast over my right hand, by the way.:mad::mad::mad:
    Just remember how much we are paying to use DS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member

Caroline Catz has said that there is an irony about her professional name in that she is, in fact, allergic to cats. Her name was chosen on the spur of the moment in a phone booth after being told she could not register as an actress under her real name (Caplan) because another actress with the same name had already registered. There was a graffiti of a cat in the phone booth and so she chose Catz on the spot.

Incidentally, Season 3 of William and Mary is only available as a Region 2 DVD--but available at amazon.uk for about US$15 or $16 including $6 shipping. At the US amazon, it is $33. But, one needs a region two (more accurately all regions) DVD player which is about $50 from amazon.com. I agree that Mary became too shrewish as the series went on, but overall, I liked all three series.
This discussion has been closed.