Should Dave Whelan swop his shovel for a JCB?

Comments

• Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He merely got the lyrics wtong when listening to his Chuck Berry CD.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

He's obviously decided his pr people are no longer needed.

Amazingly, it's probably his new manager who's got his toes curling into his shoes right now.:D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He's obviously decided his pr people are no longer needed.

Amazingly, it's probably his new manager who's got his toes curling into his shoes right now.:D
    If he's done it to take the flak away from MM then he's played a blinder.
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If he's done it to take the flak away from MM then he's played a blinder.

I liked his fake Twitter account; "time for a chop suey bagel...my favourite..."

Hillarious that he made a point of being interviewed in the jewish chronicle to establish he wasn't anti Semitic, only to lay it on the Chinese, big style.

Actually, I think he's harmless if a tad obsessed with jamming his foot in his mouth; certainly not in the Anelka class.

As for Ballotelli, give the guy a break. He's black and Jewish (kind of, with a Jewish adoptive mother).
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Whelan is fast becoming football's equivalent of the Major from Fawlty Towers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we need Prince Phillip to be a football club owner.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's like a walking, talking advert for why English football needs the Rooney rule (and more). This is the type of person who runs clubs and hires managers so it's no surprise there are so few black managers.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "we Used Too"
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fairness to him, this particular episode is a bit of a non story, he was talking entirely about what used to be said 50 or 60 years ago. I hope it doesn't get too much prominence and overshadow the much worse stuff previously said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem with the Rooney rule is that some (Dyer and Bramble for example) have said they would not want to be shortlisted for a job because of their skin colour, and they are right.

Black managers have had jobs, but when they were doing badly, they were sacked, just like white managers.

If we add the Rooney rule, we may as well add women coaches, referees, managers as well as making sure the age ranges of all were 18-75 and of all religions and class backgrounds.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to him resigning like he promised. Then perhaps he'll stop besmirching the name of a dead footballer.
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's time every person in the United Kingdom was interviewed to establish whether they have ever, in their lives, uttered the word "chingaling" or used the phrase "I really having a chinky tonight". Anyone found to have done so should be summarily dismissed from their employment.

Only this way can we hope to make a better world for our children.
    Forum Member
    I, Candy wrote: »
    I think it's time every person in the United Kingdom was interviewed to establish whether they have ever, in their lives, uttered the word "chingaling" or used the phrase "I really having a chinky tonight". Anyone found to have done so should be summarily dismissed from their employment.

Only this way can we hope to make a better world for our children.

It's one thing saying it but another admitting it or using the words in the press.
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one thing saying it but another admitting it or using the words in the press.

He was indeed ill-advised to say what he did, as any fool could have predicted what the reaction would be. But I don't agree that it's any worse to admit to saying something than it is to have said it in the first place. If anything, it's refreshingly honest.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. I can see him stepping down soon. Only for wigan to go into free fall.

He is Mr wigan
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was indeed ill-advised to say what he did, as any fool could have predicted what the reaction would be. But I don't agree that it's any worse to admit to saying something than it is to have said it in the first place. If anything, it's refreshingly honest.

What would be most refreshing is for him to use his outmoded terms in his own house if he must, but have a little forethought before using them in a public place.

He's a millionaire owner of a sports team, this comes with certain responsibilities beyond that of the local bricklayer. It's probably time for Wigan to employ someone to take on the media fronted roles, and let DW put his feet up with a boxset of Love Thy Neighbour.
    Forum Member

Well it clearly is if you're Dave Whelan. If he hadn't said it he wouldn't have a charge.
    Forum Member
    Has anyone mentioned his broken leg yet?
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he's 'milking ' the situation so that he can justify walking away and letting Wigan probably go into freefall and then blame everyone but his self
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If 'it used to be alright' was a valid defence of anything, we'd be in some trouble.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to call Dave Whelan a football club owner, now I call him 'that racist at Wigan, not Mackay, the other one'.
  • NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    I used to call Dave Whelan a football club owner, now I call him 'that racist at Wigan, not Mackay, the other one'.

Perfect!