Options

Open All Hours

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Isn't that what actually happens in a shop? People come and go.

Exactly in the original that is what they did just come and go now in the new one they are coming in the shop and getting into a "comedy" mishap.
    Which is where the cleverness of the original comes in, they didn't, except for going out with items they didn't want.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the tie-in book about this and the original series, Roy Clarke's quite straightforward about the whole thing. He says he was retired when he was asked out of the blue to write a revival, so he did. There's no great ambition there. It's a gig.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me but it seems to be morphing into Last of the Summer Wine with oddball characters and farcical situations ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very much so. What they should have done is got someone to maybe tactfully suggest new storylines and ideas to Clarke. Left to his own devices he's re-writing old episodes (a sure sign of a writer who isn't quite aware of the fact that this is now a culture in which everything is repeated non-stop, so it's not as if many viewers will have forgotten the originals) and as you say resorting to Summer Wine style conversations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Is it just me but it seems to be morphing into Last of the Summer Wine with oddball characters and farcical situations ?

I said that about an hour ago and a few weeks ago.

It is basically a remake of Last Of The Summer Wine set in a Open All Hours and if they go down this route they can easily hand over the shop to another character if David Jason left the show or died it has the potential to run and run for years.

The only reason the original had so little episodes over it's 10 year run was because Ronnie Barker was so in demand for other shows.

Granville is Foggy making Gastric who is Compo do weird things, Johnny Vegas is downtrodden Clegg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

The only reason the original had so little episodes over it's 10 year run was because Ronnie Barker was so in demand for other shows.

No, that's not the only reason. It was more complicated than that. The book has archival material that shows there were other factors. Barker sometimes had to fight to get it back on the screen.
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ratings rise to well over 7M now, astonishing. The BBC really should be treating this timeslot as a ratings goldmine and explore putting different types of shows in it.
  • Options
    scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    I said that about an hour ago and a few weeks ago.

It is basically a remake of Last Of The Summer Wine set in a Open All Hours and if they go down this route they can easily hand over the shop to another character if David Jason left the show or died it has the potential to run and run for years.

Granville is Foggy making Gastric who is Compo do weird things, Johnny Vegas is downtrodden Clegg.

Characters and moments in Roy Clarke sictoms have a habbit of repeating themselves.

Examples:

Some of the characteristics of Arkwright turned up in Summer Wine by the way of Auntie Wainwright.
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    My Nana lived with my Grandad for 53 and they still both had distinct personalities from each other. They didn't gradually morph into Nandad. ;-)

Some fair points though. I won't be tuning in next week, but its harmless enough all told. Kinda glad it exists in a way.

:o Jesus wept! another stupid lets put 2 words to make one!

I'm rather enjoying it, harmless fun on a Sunday night, better than the shite ITV are showing
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roy Clarke celebrates his 85th birthday on Wednesday.
  • Options
    scragendscragend Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Willpurry wrote: »
    Original featured Ronnie Barker STOP But not just his programme STOP Written, as is new series by Roy Clarke STOP

I just wish it would STOP
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scorer wrote: »
    ...............Some of the characteristics of Arkwright turned up in Summer Wine by the way of Auntie Wainwright.

Now there's an interesting thought : one of them visits the shop of the other.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Now there's an interesting thought : one of them visits the shop of the other.

That is a meeting I wanted to see ever since Auntie Wainwright showed up.
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

I can't tell the difference between the two shows anymore
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greenyone wrote: »
    I can't tell the difference between the two shows anymore

It's easy: one is still going, the other one isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the best of the series but that was because they involved Arkwright and brought Leeroy's mother into it.

The show only seems to thrive when they bring Arkwright into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another good one tonight.

Last one :(

Can't wait for series 2 only one of two good things on BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably the best of the series but that was because they involved Arkwright and brought Leeroy's mother into it.

The show only seems to thrive when they bring Arkwright into it.
    I think Series 2 will bring Leeroy's Mum into it more they seem to be building the plot for it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Series 2 will bring Leeroy's Mum into it more they seem to be building the plot for it now.

Not a bad thing Paula Wilcox was a good choice, would be nice if the milkwoman was brought back and Granville had to choose between the three of the women in his life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Just watched and all the way through it seemed to be a group of 3 men or 3 women acting out scenes from Last of the summer wine. Even the style and pace was the same. without knowing the title it would have been hard to tell which was which
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vstrange wrote: »
    Just watched and all the way through it seemed to be a group of 3 men or 3 women acting out scenes from Last of the summer wine. Even the style and pace was the same. without knowing the title it would have been hard to tell which was which

It seems that what they have gone for LOTSW in an Open All Hours setting only problem with that is the shop setting is very confined whereas LOTSW could use the whole of Holmfirth and the countryside, they should do more outdoor scenes the original used Doncaster quiet well as a mix of outdoor and indoor they need to maybe move away from the shop more perhaps in a future series.

I do find it a shame that Roy has chosen to mix the two shows in the way he has I would like to see more random customers like the original, one off passers by.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    i have loved this series. far more than i was expecting!
    along with birds of a feather, it shows the oldies are still the best, even revived.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's certainly something to look forward to; you wouldn't think that Paula Wilcox is 65, would you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    i have loved this series. far more than i was expecting!
    along with birds of a feather, it shows the oldies are still the best, even revived.

It seems to work better when there is a storyline like tonight there were too clear storylines last week it didn't work because it was just a farce trying to get Gastic into a wedding dress for comedy effect.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen it for the first time.It's a gently amusing show, I was pleasantly surprised.