Options

Emmerdale: Megan and Jai- the shortest marriage in history.

2»

Comments

• Options
    eaststreetlovereaststreetlover Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would put Ian Beale and Mel Healy from EE down for one of the shortest marriages

That was my first thought too....
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did that couple in Dynasty whose wedding got stormed by gunmen actually get married or were they halfway through the ceremony at the time?
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are they back on now ?? Dear me
  • Options
    Letsby_AvenueLetsby_Avenue Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    How about Alfie and Roxy? I don't think they even made it out of the church before he dumped her to chase after Kat!
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Wasn't that groom run over, rather than shot?

No that was a different 'Oaks wedding. Max was run over just after his wedding, Calvin was shot just after his, 3 or 4 years later.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    So are they back on now ?? Dear me

More of Jai's selfishness. Using Megan just to make him look better to get access to Archie. :( Run Megan, run!
  • Options
    superstargirl81superstargirl81 Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    As someone already said, the shortest marriage in british soap history is Eastenders Roxy and Alfie, Splitting up mere minutes after saying 'i do' and seconds after signing the wedding certificate. I can't see how any other soap wedding would be shorter, At least the others made the reception lol

The thing that annoys me most about Megan and Jai is how much it's changed Megan. She's always been characterized as a strong, smart independent woman but this storyline is turning her into a weak snivelling sorry excuse for a woman.

I was 100% sure when she found out about the affair, she'd kick Jai to the curb and get some well deserved revenge but no it's all forgiven and forgotten. Don't forget this is the woman who spent the last few months of 2014 embroiled in a war with Declan and Charity. She was brilliant in that storyline and now after that, they've decided that they'll have her staying with a cheating scumbag. It's silly.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My packet of **** lasted longer than this marriage :D.
  • Options
    baisbaisbaisbais Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours have managed four marriages that have lasted less than a day... admittedly three of those (Toadie/Dee, Carmella/Marco, Susan/Alex) were because one of the pair died on the wedding day, but Paul left Lyn minutes after they got married!
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Alfie and Roxy in EE hold the record for the shortest marriage.
    Weren't they still at the church, literally five minutes after they got married, when Roxy realised he still loved Kat and told him to go after her?

Alfie didn't sign the papers did he? What happens in that case if verbally they've told they've gotten married but you don't sign the papers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    baisbais wrote: »
    Neighbours have managed four marriages that have lasted less than a day... admittedly three of those (Toadie/Dee, Carmella/Marco, Susan/Alex) were because one of the pair died on the wedding day, but Paul left Lyn minutes after they got married!
    Wasn't it hours, rather than minutes, from the characters' point of view? I seem to remember they went on their honeymoon and then he left her at the hotel. (Or did they skip the reception and go straight to the honeymoon from the service? Need to look that up.)
  • Options
    snogglewortsnogglewort Posts: 2,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    My packet of **** lasted longer than this marriage :D.

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie didn't sign the papers did he? What happens in that case if verbally they've told they've gotten married but you don't sign the papers?

Alfie did sign the register before ditching her for Kat which meant they did legally marry and Roxy had to get the marriage annulled later on. Had he not signed it although they had exchanged vows they wouldn't have been married in the eyes of the law and wouldn't have had to go down the annulment route.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't they gonna have to wait a whole year to get a divorce?

And Charity has to wait 2 years since Declan is MIA.
    Do you no longer have to wait 7 years for a 'Presumption of death' cerificate, if there is no body ? I don't think Charity has gone that long between marriages before.
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was 100% sure when she found out about the affair, she'd kick Jai to the curb and get some well deserved revenge but no it's all forgiven and forgotten. Don't forget this is the woman who spent the last few months of 2014 embroiled in a war with Declan and Charity. She was brilliant in that storyline and now after that, they've decided that they'll have her staying with a cheating scumbag. It's silly.

Yeah I was surprised about the complete 180 they did yesterday when they decided to give it another go and it does show that Megan is weak. I also thought it was funny that she stayed the night with Leyla, her husband's former side chick. She really is a doormat
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I was surprised about the complete 180 they did yesterday when they decided to give it another go and it does show that Megan is weak. I also thought it was funny that she stayed the night with Leyla, her husband's former side chick. She really is a doormat

It just shows how alone and desparate she is doesnt it? The only person she has to. turn to is the girl he cheated with, and she's SO easily convinced to get back with him. Poor sad, lonely, grieving Megan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you no longer have to wait 7 years for a 'Presumption of death' cerificate, if there is no body ? I don't think Charity has gone that long between marriages before.
    It's unlikely Declan's dead, he was in perfect health last time everyone saw him. Can you divorce someone in absentia on the grounds of desertion after 2 years, or get one automatically after 2 years of separation?

She did actually go eight and a bit years between Chris and Jai, but had three aborted weddings in between and was off screen for a fair chunk of it.
  • Options
    Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    If you mean Chas and Dan - their marriage was annulled.

No. Charity and Declan.
  • Options
    DippitDippit Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skteosk wrote: »
    Did that couple in Dynasty whose wedding got stormed by gunmen actually get married or were they halfway through the ceremony at the time?

The wedding ceremony had just been completed when the coup happened. Amanda and Prince Michael survived but their marriage lasted less than six months (she was still in love with her stepfather, he was obsessed with getting his country's throne back for his father - you know your typical newlywed problems ;-)).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dippit wrote: »
    The wedding ceremony had just been completed when the coup happened. Amanda and Prince Michael survived but their marriage lasted less than six months (she was still in love with her stepfather, he was obsessed with getting his country's throne back for his father - you know your typical newlywed problems ;-)).
    Oh, really? I thought she was one of the two that actually got killed rather than turning out to be bulletproof. Need to rewrite my history books...
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would put Ian Beale and Mel Healy from EE down for one of the shortest marriages

Roxy and Alfie was shorter, he had just signed the wwedding register before Roxy finally came to her senses and told Alfie to go after Kat
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going back a bit: didn't Butch Dingle marry Emily on his deathbed?
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back a bit: didn't Butch Dingle marry Emily on his deathbed?
    I think he did Janet, I have a vague recollection of that. :)