Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Colette McBeth - Precious Thing
  • Options
    couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Let you Go - Clare Mackintosh

Only a bit in but it's looking good.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would just like to say that I've now finished 1984. Am glad to have finally read it but wow is it unremittingly depressing, especially the section in The Ministry of Love! :o Obviously I knew its reputation before reading it but I definitely need to read something lighter/more upbeat now - think I might try The Return of Sherlock Holmes as haven't read that collection of little stories yet.
  • Options
    JuceeJucee Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Murder Bag - Tony Parsons.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Just started The Missing and the Dead by Stuart MacBride, the latest crime story involving the long suffering Logan McRae and his hilariously un-pc boss DCI Steel. In this one, our hero is banished to the rural wilderness of Aberdeenshire and is coping with rural crime - shoplifting, a juvenile graffiti artist who is making political statements (painting willies on electoral posters) and wandering cattle. Then a body is found and McRae is up to his neck in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sarah Rayne - House of the lost
  • Options
    WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished The Martian by Andy Weir..it's his first novel and I'll certainly look out for further books by him
  • Options
    WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins

If you liked Into the Darkest Corner and Before I Go to Sleep then this is right up your street. I'm about 40% into it right now and it is a real page-turner. Got great reviews on Amazon and I can understand why.

I've just started this one.....around 20% into it and finding it good so far
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I am reading different types articles and the books.I got different information from the different sources.Some websites are providing useful information for the students and the readers.You can visit sites for more information.
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    A Prisoner of Birth - Jeffrey Archer
    Enjoyable but I didn't understand the mistaken identity part. Seemed a bit far fetched to me.
    Terrific court room scenes.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    The ABC Murders - Agatha Christie, it's okay tho I prefer Marple over Poirot (sp?)
  • Options
    Fink-NottleFink-Nottle Posts: 60,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis-Ferdinand Céline's autobiographical novel Journey to the End of the Night; not one for happy hour.
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently finished The Miniaturist. Can't remember author but I loved it.

Just started The Night Circus. Brilliant so far! Oddly enough, can't remember the author's name. :-P
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started reading Dead Man's Footsteps by Peter James (Roy Grace 4). I'm hoping that Peter James will have toned down his fascination with Brighton Mortuary in this one!

I'm going to start listening to the Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion, narrated by Dan O'Grady. A bit of light relief after Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Defender of Rome by Douglas Jackson

2nd in a series. Read the first one a couple of weeks ago and loved it, this ones even better so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peter Robinson - Abbatoir Blues
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now 6 chapters into Russell Brand's 'Revolution'
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    London Fields • Martin Amis
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    Just started H is for hawk. Not at all what I would normally read but truly beautiful.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Loved The Left Hand Of Darkness. Not my normal thing but really interesting. Great feeling of the cold and a fascinating look at a world without a constant sexual imperative. A lost gem.

Now on Pushkin's Eugene Onegin which is reasonably engaging if a little moribund in terms of prose.maybe it loses something in translation.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    The Hearing Trumpet by Leonora Carrington.

Shades of Alice in Wonderland, perhaps, but so warm and inventive.
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Testament - John Grisham
    Haven't read Grisham in ages, and this was very good.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    NOS4A2 by Joe Hill, I've never read anything by him before and he is very like his father, Stephen King, but somehow not like him, if that makes sense. Just a couple of chapters in and I'm intrigued. (Reminded me a bit of Rose Madder though)
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Tuffers Alternative Guide to the Ashes by Phil Tufnell

All in the title really, a book full of humorous anecdotes about the Ashes
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am about to start Wonder - the Julian chapter - a short story which is a follow up to Wonder by RJ Palacio, a book which I really enjoyed a couple of years ago.