Options

The Eagles

postitpostit Posts: 23,839
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The usual dire Saturday night viewing is livened for me at least with a documentary on the Eagles, BBC2 at 10 pm with the second part tomorrow night.

Be glad you don't live near me, I shall be warbling along with the songs at top volume :D

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though principlally a jazz fan, whilst I'll admit to owning the "Hotel California" album, I wouldn't put the Eagles at the top of my list of groups of that era, the competition being so great, with the likes of, America, Bread, Fleetwood Mac, Chicago, Robert Palmer, Hall & Oates, ELO, Earth, Wind & Fire, Manhattan Transfer, etc., of whom I've several albums.

But as pure nostalgia I may record this.
    Thanks for the "heads up."
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    postit wrote: »
    The usual dire Saturday night viewing is livened for me at least with a documentary on the Eagles, BBC2 at 10 pm with the second part tomorrow night.

Be glad you don't live near me, I shall be warbling along with the songs at top volume :D

:D

I'll be recording it. Very good band.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. I'll take it easy because I've got a peaceful easy feeling about that programme so won't need to act like a desperado who's a new kid in town :)
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I'll take it easy because I've got a peaceful easy feeling about that programme so won't need to act like a desperado who's a new kid in town :)

Glad to hear you're not living life in the fast lane, or one of these nights you could end up on the border drinking a tequila sunrise with james dean, wondering if the witchy woman has already gone.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Loving this, really interesting! Love Don Henley too.
  • Options
    VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    I'm amazed they lasted as long as they did. Sure many bands would have just pulled the plug long before they did. And Joe Walsh is a legend! I love the story behind 'Has Anyone Ever Written For You' by Stevie Nicks, which she wrote for him. Very moving.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=4763
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i didn't need to watch has I own the deluxe DVD edition and have already seen it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed it.

Love the chronology about how they got together and developed the sound wit changes to producer etc.

Marvellous Linda Rondstadt footage too.

But nothing comes together without work and the way Henley described how Jackson Browne would right his songs and the descriptions of their recordings sessions just before the end, going on and on and on were very interesting.

And with the friction developing and the band on its' last legs, after Hotel California, they were selling 1 million albums a month for 18 months in a row.

All those sex, drugs and peaceful easy feelings. As the doorman of a top London hotel once said to George Best with a Miss World on his bed and his room full of empty champagne bottles, 'Where did it all go wrong?'.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though principlally a jazz fan, whilst I'll admit to owning the "Hotel California" album, I wouldn't put the Eagles at the top of my list of groups of that era, the competition being so great, with the likes of, America, Bread, Fleetwood Mac, Chicago, Robert Palmer, Hall & Oates, ELO, Earth, Wind & Fire, Manhattan Transfer, etc., of whom I've several albums.

But as pure nostalgia I may record this.
    Thanks for the "heads up."

I think all of those were excellent bands, Doghouse and I saw live Robert Palmer (Dominion Tottenham Court Road, 1980) and Earth Wind and Fire (Wembley around the same time), a concert which was a bit like watching a real life episode of Thunderbirds with all the cardboard spaceships, pyrotechnics and huge costumes the band wore.

It might be interesting to look at relative record sales of the artists you mention and a few others too from that time, especially some of the rock bands who it appears Glenn Fry especially, wanted the Eagles to be like.

It's on Iplayer if you want to see it. The band member interviews are very measured.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Oh boy...do those band members love themselves :eek:
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of those bands that never did it for me
    I'm afraid.I could see the skill and the musical
    ability,but somehow it never quite gelled into
    the sort of music I wanted to hear.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    timebug wrote: »
    One of those bands that never did it for me
    I'm afraid.I could see the skill and the musical
    ability,but somehow it never quite gelled into
    the sort of music I wanted to hear.

Me too...give me CSN&Y over them any day of the week.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    I think all of those were excellent bands, Doghouse and I saw live Robert Palmer (Dominion Tottenham Court Road, 1980) and Earth Wind and Fire (Wembley around the same time), a concert which was a bit like watching a real life episode of Thunderbirds with all the cardboard spaceships, pyrotechnics and huge costumes the band wore.

It might be interesting to look at relative record sales of the artists you mention and a few others too from that time, especially some of the rock bands who it appears Glenn Fry especially, wanted the Eagles to be like.

It's on Iplayer if you want to see it. The band member interviews are very measured.

Thanks for that. I can't say I've given the Eagles much thought in decades. As a vinyl jukebox enthusiast, (I've two), I guess my taste in popular music is reflected in the records I include in the limited capacity of the carousels and there's nothing by the Eagles in either of them. But there's a hell of a lot of Motown!
    I guess it's subjective, but some genres are always going to seem more enduring.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be watching.

I Can't Tell You Why. ;)