Comments

• Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know the name, but when I followed your link I recognised the face, and when I saw you mention Brookside the penny dropped. He was the first major villain in Brookside wasn't he?
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news indeed....he made Lovejoy for me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, never got the name, but the face seen lots of times, so again another regular jobbing actor gone.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know the name, but when I followed your link I recognised the face, and when I saw you mention Brookside the penny dropped. He was the first major villain in Brookside wasn't he?

Tommy McArdle
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member

Yes he was. Thank you. I was hoping there would be a few reactions like this. Until about six months ago when he appeared in an old episode of bergerac I too only knew him as a face I'd recognise on the screen.

After that I started a very successful thread on here about actors you always recognise but don't necessarily know the names of. I'm not going to link to it because I'm not trying to advertise but I thought it was worth mentioning as a point of interest.
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He played Monk Adderley in Poldark as well.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Tommy McArdle

Yes that's the one!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Another good actor bites the dust! :( (James Ellis too, from another thread).

R.I.P. Malcolm/Tommy.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Like others, the picture helped the memory, no end.

Nice obit in the Guardian too, amusing snippet.
    He then joined Sally Miles's repertory company at the Theatre Royal, Margate, playing in Great Expectations to an audience of one – who gave the cast an enthusiastic standing ovation (it was a cold night).
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Another good actor bites the dust! :( (James Ellis too, from another thread).

R.I.P. Malcolm/Tommy.

Oh has James Ellis gone too.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Oh has James Ellis gone too.
    Yes, dear old Bert Lynch.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    thomscn wrote: »
    Very sad news indeed....he made Lovejoy for me

I quite agree.
  • Options
    EmmabellEmmabell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I think he was the most evil character ever on Brookside, loved him.
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one bites the dust :(

He'll always be Charlie Gimbert to me. Probably trying to find a buyer for a nice set of pearly gates right now.

RIP.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw Bless! We lose these people who have been part of our lives for so long, providing us with entertainment and fine acting, and deep down we get to love them which we do not realise until they are gone and it is too late. As I get older they seem to be dropping all around me and life becomes a little more bleak with these constant reminders of my own mortality. :kitty: