Options

BREAKING: Gerrard to leave Liverpool

Comments

• Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was supposed to be a secret but he let it slip....

Sorry. Someone had to.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

Sorry. Someone had to.

I hope Suárez eats you.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

Sorry. Someone had to.

Good one. ;-)
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    If the BBC are right then i'm really surprised, i thought he would end his career at Liverpool. Gerrard is a wonderful, wonderful player who has been the main man at Anfield for so long he has got them out of so many wholes yes he is probably past his best now but he is still Liverpool's best player and it will be a big blow to them if Gerrard does leave.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    End of an era. AbsoluteLiverpool legend no question about it and one of the best players to grace the PL. Probably best player to never win a PL medal
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    If the BBC are right then i'm really surprised, i thought he would end his career at Liverpool. Gerrard is a wonderful, wonderful player who has been the main man at Anfield for so long he has got them out of so many wholes yes he is probably past his best now but he is still Liverpool's best player and it will be a big blow to them if Gerrard does leave.

While I think he has been used poorly a lot this season and still has more to offer even at his age, he's nowhere near as vital as Sterling or Sturridge tbh so I can't accept he's their best player anymore. Even Coutinho, while at times inconsistent, is better these days
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't blame him tbh, must be gutting to have never have won a PL winners medal.

All the best Stevie, and thanks for all you've done for us.
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,485
    Forum Member
    We'll take him to go with Lampard ;)
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »

A CL medal isn't to be sniffed at though ;)

To be honest he had a couple of chances win a PL medal, last year when he more or less cost them himself sadly or that time when he could have joined Chelsea :D:D
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair play.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he goes to MLS, he might finally get to win a league title, albeit not the one that he really craves.

He has done very well for Liverpool over the tears no doubt about it, and he has been a thorn in our side once too many times for my liking.

Good luck to him where ever he decides to go.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

Maybe he could go down the Lampard I'm going to America honest route?;-)
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Should have joined United in 2002 and won everything. Guess he's NYC bound in the summer and back at Man City in September.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic career, brilliant player, won trophies and been a standard bearer for his country. I reckon history might still say he underachieved a touch though. Liverpool were never quite good enough for him in his era imo but he became so entwined with the club he could never really leave. He has looked a bit crestfallen in recent years and has had some bad luck on the field (last year must have been a huge blow for him)
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Should have joined United in 2002 and won everything. Guess he's NYC bound in the summer and back at Man City in September.

I'd like to think that Gerard would have more respect for Liverpool than to do that.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess he's NYC bound in the summer and back at Man City in September.

You cynic... ;)
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think that Gerard would have more respect for Liverpool than to do that.

I'd like to hope he hasn't:)
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted.

Proper legend.
    :cry:
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have got so much respect for him, having started at Liverpool in the kids team at the age of 8 & has been with LFC since. He will be missed dearly when he leaves & will always be a footballing hero in my eyes.
  • Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's for the best but I'm absolutely gutted. I've never known a Liverpool without Gerrard. :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck to City in trying to do something no-one else has done well, and playing Lampard and Gerrard together!
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumours are it'll be Galaxy so he won't be back at City.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's for the best but I'm absolutely gutted. I've never known a Liverpool without Gerrard. :(:(

A bit like how I feel about United without Giggs (with him being our assistant manager I still don't)!
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whatever I've known without Gerrard is fairly minimal (I'm 30 so remember a little of the pre Gerrard days.) Been such an iconic part of the club, won't be easy to see him go.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerrard has been one of the best players in the premier league and still has something to offer but I do think the timing might just be right for him. He could stay at Liverpool for another couple of years but I am not sure it makes any sense for him to do so.

Liverpool are looking to rebuild again and dont look likely to push for top 4 any time soon. So his work at Liverpool is done at least as a player. It is better to go out at the top at a team you love it is sort of sad to see giggs drift out of the game almost unnoticed as other issues around the club took over.

Gerrard would have more of an impact in the USA and the challenge of a new league might put a bit of spring in those legs of his.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to be strange and sad not seeing Gerrard being part of the team.

Unlike previous players who played for Liverpool such as Dalglish who had an array of talent to lean on such as Souness, Rush and Hansen.

Gerrard hasn't always had that and has mostly carried the team which is why he will always be best player for the club even though he never achieved premier league success.