Options

If somebody wanted to be a pro footballer...

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would they go to the FA Headquarters in Soho Square, London and do they have to play for a club or can they just play for the international team?

Comments

• Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this someone had enough ability to be a professional footballer, I doubt they'd need to ask this question.

I'll try to answer it though, no you wouldn't go to the F.A headquarters, they are a professional body who regulate English football.

You can be picked for a national team without being signed for a club, however, to be a professional footballer would require being signed to a club who pays your full time wages.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they pop their CV in the post to Soho Square and they are then called for a interview and if successful get given a job at a club
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Yes they pop their CV in the post to Soho Square and they are then called for a interview and if successful get given a job at a club

Posts like this make me wish DS had a like button.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »

I'm not sure its that simple. They at least have to do a beep test exam and put an application for a choice of shirt number. If that number has gone at the club they want then they go on a standby list until that player leaves.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to Old Trafford, at reception ask to speak to Mr Van Gaal.

When you meet him, shake his hand, and tell him you want to play for his team, you may not have any experience but you're a hard worker and a team player. If he asks why you want the job, mention you always wanted to play in the premier league and give a bit of history about the club.

Then wait by the phone...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I'm not sure its that simple. They at least have to do a beep test exam and put an application for a choice of shirt number. If that number has gone at the club they want then they go on a standby list until that player leaves.

I agree that it most certainly is not as simple as was appaently being made out.

In particular, the FA are very keen to see that professional players have a good understanding of the game.

To that end they ask applicants to do sessions on FIFA 15 in various roles and at quite a high level. I believe they also usually have to do a presentation as to how the offside law works.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I agree that it most certainly is not as simple as was appaently being made out.

In particular, the FA are very keen to see that professional players have a good understanding of the game.

To that end they ask applicants to do sessions on FIFA 15 in various roles and at quite a high level. I believe they also usually have to do a presentation as to how the offside law works.

This was where my application fell down. My use of salt & pepper pots with a goalie made of a bottle of HP sauce apparently didn't show an adequate understanding but I did get an option of a role as Sepp Blatter's secretary.
This discussion has been closed.