Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It stands for

Wasters And Gold-diggers.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luvandlife wrote: »
    In the States, we could care less about the wives and girlfriends of sport stars and if they start receiving media attention

What you could care less OR couldn't care less - it's a strange Americanism that one:p
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    The term WAG should only be used in the plural anyway.

Whilst footballers can (and frequently do, it seems) have WAGs - Wives AND Girlfriends, a micro-skirted gold-digger can only ever be a Wife OR Girlfriend, the acronym for which is somewhat troublesome! ;)
  • caren197caren197 Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term WAG was first used in the 2004 euro championships however didn't really take off until the 2006 world cup. I remember i actually did a piece of coursework on this for my media class. It appears that these women are built up to have the best lifestyle and so many girls are out putting it about to see if they can bag themselves a footballer. Case in point this woman, Vanessa Peroncal (!?!) she is the epitome of this description.

Footballers Wive the tv show, in its day was seen as quite shocking etc but if it was shown today no one would be surprised as we've all seen much work in every day media from real people.

Is it a British thing...yes i think other countries have a bit more respect for their sports stars and families imo.
  • becksy1892becksy1892 Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I dont see why so many people have a problem with the wives/gfs of footballers living off their husbands/bfs...how is it any different to those of wealthy bankers/politicians???
    So what if some of them dont work and shop a lot...those who criticise are jealous :)
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    if memory serves the term WAGs was coined by Daily Express during Ryder Cup tournament years ago (I think 2004). They were pointing out how "Stepford" they all looked with their matching outfits.

the term gained popular usage during WC 2006 and has been stuck in footballing terms ever since.

having said that kiss n tells were short-term football girlfriends have been doing the rounds sinces the 80's (so WAG culture isn't really that new)
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But dont the US have the MAWS (Models, Actresses, Wives or something? correct me if im wrong)
    its definitely a British trend though, but i guess you would get it in any country
    PS welcome to DS!
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    becksy1892 wrote: »
    I dont see why so many people have a problem with the wives/gfs of footballers living off their husbands/bfs...how is it any different to those of wealthy bankers/politicians???
    So what if some of them dont work and shop a lot...those who criticise are jealous :)

How many wives of bankers do you know? The problem for me is the ones who then use their husbands to become famous when they have no talent themselves. I hate this in reality stars so WAGs are no different in my view.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,537
    Forum Member
    darakinss wrote: »
    But dont the US have the MAWS (Models, Actresses, Wives or something? correct me if im wrong)
    its definitely a British trend though, but i guess you would get it in any country
    PS welcome to DS!
    I think it's Model/Actress/Whatever - heard it on SATC.

The point is our WAGs are on average more tacky, orange and self-promoting(Alex Curran and other "style" icons frinstance)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a lot different because a banker's wife or a politician's wife's lifestyle is not being promoted as the end-all, be all. A lot of these women that are married to high-powered intelligent men are highly-powered intelligent women themselves. There is a world of difference between Barack and Michelle Obama and Alex and Stephen Gerrard, but most girls aspire to be Alex instead of Michelle, and that is a shame. The whole WAG culture is steeped in misogyny,greed, mediocrity and being utterly shallow.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am sick of the "you are jealous" mantra being trotted out every time anyone criticises anyone. This is a forum for debate not complicit agreement! And anyway the correct term is envious, not jealous, used in the context I think you mean.

Jealousy is the fear of losing something that you already have. Such as, being jealous of your girlfriend's relationship with a bloke from the squash club and thinking she will chuck you for him. Envy is when you want something someone else has and you don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jealous#Jealousy_vs_Envy