Options

MUTV showing Cyprus v NI

Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
Forum Member
Quite bizarrely MUTV are showing Northern Ireland's friendly against Cyprus next week

http://tvlistings.theguardian.com/text-only/default.aspx?tvgDayOffset=7f&tvgBroadcaster=UKSkyCable&tvgRegion=London&tvgFlagFilter=&tvgChannelName=MUTV

Don't understand the reasoning behind this at all, sure it was probably going cheap but I can't see them picking up any new subscribers based on this. No Jonny Evans in the NI squad either. Is there a ManU link to the Cyprus squad?

Comments

• Options
    wal28wal28 Posts: 1,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also showed an Olympiacos match before the tie the weekend before last

It's not the first time a club channel has shown a random fixture. A few years ago LFC TV showed the French Super Cup between PSG and Marseille
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    At least there was some logic in them showing the Olympiacos match, with it being Man U's opponents in the CL Last 16 tie.

This time there seems to be no obvious connection.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    At least there was some logic in them showing the Olympiacos match, with it being Man U's opponents in the CL Last 16 tie.

This time there seems to be no obvious connection.

United have a massive Irish following in NI & England. Many of which probably have MUTV.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wal28 wrote: »

It's not the first time a club channel has shown a random fixture. A few years ago LFC TV showed the French Super Cup between PSG and Marseille

and there showing another Olympiacos match too..
    LFCTV have also shown Uruguay match
    ChelseaTV have shown England Under 21's vs Macedonia Under 21's at the Ricoh Arena
  • Options
    singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also showing International Under-19's Highlights of England v Turkey. Is this a first?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Northern Ireland fanbase is probably the reason. United also have a promising Cypriot defender in the youth ranks.
    http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-And-Staff/The-Academy/Nicholas-Ioannou.aspx?pageNo=2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And in all the above, there was probably a Liverpool/.Chelsea/Man U player in one of the teams, thats the point.

There is no such link with the example in the OP, which makes it plain bizarre.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Maybe the gorgeous Helen Evans can be presenting it as a bonus!

:blush:
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they just wanted to show a decent team for once.

Only joking, please don't get upset. Said for comedy effect only.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wal28 wrote: »

Yes, I remember that. At least LFC is free to air so I could view it.
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prodan_d wrote: »
    Maybe the gorgeous Helen Evans can be presenting it as a bonus!

:blush:

So a presenter can be utterly inept and out of her depth as long as she's gorgeous?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sat-ire wrote: »
    So a presenter can be utterly inept and out of her depth as long as she's gorgeous?

Sounds like the premise for Sky Sports News...
  • Options
    wal28wal28 Posts: 1,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe MUTV's forary into football that isn't directly related to the club is a taste of things to come.

In Portugal, Benfica TV have the rights to the Brazilian leagues, the MLS and most recently the Premiership, the latter snaffled away from under the noses of Sport TV. It certainly raises an interesting case for Porto or other fans whether they would be willing to subscribe to Benfica TV if they wanted to watch the Premiership or some such.

As a neutral fan of football I would subscribe to MUTV if they started showing Dutch or Russian football for instance but wonder whether this would be the case more widely?
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why MUTV & Chelsea TV are separate pay channels yet LFC is free to watch on Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    I don't understand why MUTV & Chelsea TV are separate pay channels yet LFC is free to watch on Sky.

Because thats what the channels want? You may as well ask why Bid-up TV is free to watch yet Sky Sports isnt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    sat-ire wrote: »

She is Irish and married to Johnny Evans. I'm pretty sure that makes her more than qualified.