New stair carpet with cat.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
Forum Member
As the title says I need a new stair carpet. I need one that won't be wrecked by my cat clawing at it. He does have a cat scratching post but refuses to use it. I have even tried putting cat nip on it to encourage him, no go. Does anyone have any suggestions on which kind of carpet I can go for that won't get wrecked by his claws? Getting rid of my puss is a no go. He is here to stay. :)

Comments

• Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Cats do claw the carpet and other things too, I'm afraid. That's what they do, they're cats! It gives your house some character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I don't know about the carpet, but maybe you can buy a scratch pad for your cat? It's different from a scratching post, maybe he'll use it.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's scratching posts galore in this house. The cats still use the stair carpet and the sides of the now ribboned divan beds.

New stair carpet was ruined within a week.

Little sods. Still. That's cats for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Cheers all. Oh well guess I have to put up with a raggy stair carpet. It is funny but he doesn't wreck the furniture or any other carpets in the house. Wee bugger! Thanks everyone. :D
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not going to happen!:D

Our cat has a massive scratch post but I have fluffy patches at the top and bottom of the stairs! :kitty:
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Cats are usually vertical or horizontal scratchers so it might need a flat surface for scratching. Alternatively, leave cardboard boxes for it to destroy.
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Not going to happen!:D

Our cat has a massive scratch post but I have fluffy patches at the top and bottom of the stairs! :kitty:

Lol so does our carpet at the moment. Slightly more fluffier than fluffy though. :D:D
    Forum Member
    Cats are usually vertical or horizontal scratchers so it might need a flat surface for scratching. Alternatively, leave cardboard boxes for it to destroy.

Hi thanks, will try that before I buy a new carpet and see if I can break his wee habit/spoil his fun. :D
    Forum Member
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Hi thanks, will try that before I buy a new carpet and see if I can break his wee habit/spoil his fun. :D

When we got our house rebuilt we didn't put any carpets in. More for dead animals they bring in than anything.
  • Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take advantage of the new carpet being something 'different' which will wrong-foot your cat. If it shows any interest at all, even just sniffing, shoo it away, un-nerve it, while providing something suitable to scratch.

Before I moved in with my husband, both my cats were allowed upstairs. Husband wasn't going to allow that, so when we all moved in, I took advantage of them feeling a little unsure to discourage them from going upstairs. They just accepted that.

Next stage was to stop them getting on the sofa, which again, soft-touch Mum had always let them do. Different sofa, they were a little unsure, they didn't even think about it.

Now - just need to work out how to stop our latest cat from doing all those naughty things that's she does. She's a little stronger willed than our previous cats.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really need to make a choice - a new carpet or keep the cat! Cats v carpets - cats ALWAYS win!
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have four Cats and I use nail clippers to trim their nails.
    You need to re-do it often.

Warning! Do not try to do this alone.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat has a scratching post which she uses and she also gets stuck into the doormat. Trouble is that doesn't stop her scratching the curtains, carpets and wallpaper!
    I might have a go at trimming her claws - but I doubt she'll let me:(
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as everyone else has said, cats like to scratch and some more than others.

Scratching posts won't stop them scratching elsewhere, I know this from experience. I currently have three cats and have had dozens over the years.

Your options are; contain your cats in one area of the house or accept that they'll trash your house. I contain mine in a busy popular area, (it has virtually no soft furnishing to ruin - (although the curtains have lots of holes and are very hairy), so they get plenty of attention and have lots of space. I work from home and they are next to my office, so I see them all day. (They are all house cats).

One of my cats has given himself the task of removing completely, day by day, bit by bit, the wallpaper :D. It drives me mad and I cannot decorate. I manage the scratching (and wallpaper removal), by painting and pasting back the ripped off bits every day. Not ideal I know, but I love him so what else can I do.

If you were me, I would keep the cat away from the stair carpet.

If I gave my cats the full run of my house I would be a nervous wreck and my house would be completely devoid of wallpaper and soft furnishings. :p
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »
    I have four Cats and I use nail clippers to trim their nails.
    You need to re-do it often.

Warning! Do not try to do this alone.

Further Warning!

Don't do this if you haven't been trained how to do it. If the claws are cut too severely they will bleed.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I would recommend getting a couple of coconut matting front door mats for the cat. They love those more than carpets.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The type of carpet makes a difference as to how long it lasts, we had the type which is made up of loops of thread, and our two destroyed that in very short notice as they caught the loops and just ripped them out. Try to get as flat a weave as you can so there is less to pull on.

Other than that, if you have cats you just have to accept that your stuff will get scratched. Buy cheap carpet and sofas.
    Forum Member
    The type of carpet makes a difference as to how long it lasts, we had the type which is made up of loops of thread, and our two destroyed that in very short notice as they caught the loops and just ripped them out. Try to get as flat a weave as you can so there is less to pull on.

Other than that, if you have cats you just have to accept that your stuff will get scratched. Buy cheap carpet and sofas.
    Or buy more expensive furniture where the material is heavy duty, such as well over 30,000 rubs on the Martindale test (50,000 will resist most cat claws)
  • doormousedoormouse Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you buy a dog to sit on the stairs? :p
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse wrote: »

Or move to a bungalow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't let the cat on the stairs before you get the carpet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    This works.
    Forum Member
    Thanks everybody for all the great ideas. My cat is here to stay and has the run of the entire house. Will try the doormat idea and will try and buy a flat carpet rather than looped. Has anyone tried the spray? Had 2 dogs but he just ignored them and carried on. :D. Having a wrecked house really doesn't bother me but it would be nice to put down a new carpet and for it to last. :D:D:D
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse wrote: »

I tried that. The cat battered the dog, the dog ran off. The cat scratched the carpet haha.

Cats are cruel overlords who won't allow us mortals to have nice carpets.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put a baby gate at the bottom of stairs and spray it liberally with Cat Off.