PS4 system update

Comments

• ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Does anyone here have the knowledge as to why 4tb isn't currently possible?
    Because no one has developed the technology to fit such a large capacity HDD on a 2.5" platter form factor.

I can't see 4TB 2.5" SATAs appearing for about 2 years and when they are announced, they won't be 9.5mm thick either. It took 3 years for manufacturers to go from 500GB (first available Summer 2008) to 1TB (first available July 2011).
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Conroy wrote: »
    Because no one has developed the technology to fit such a large capacity HDD on a 2.5" platter form factor.

I can't see 4TB 2.5" SATAs appearing for about 2 years and when they are announced, they won't be 9.5mm thick either. It took 3 years for manufacturers to go from 500GB (first available Summer 2008) to 1TB (first available July 2011).

Oh ok, so size is the main issue. Isn't it always :)

Cheers for the info mate!
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The current 2TB drive uses 2 platters of 1TB, it is possible (without helium) to fit 3 platters to give a capacity of 3TB, so they may not be that far off.

There is also a chance that solid state drives will catch up and over take mechanical drives within the next few years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    The current 2TB drive uses 2 platters of 1TB, it is possible (without helium) to fit 3 platters to give a capacity of 3TB, so they may not be that far off.

There is also a chance that solid state drives will catch up and over take mechanical drives within the next few years.
    Solid state drives are going to be out of the question for most people if capacity is what they're after, unless they enjoy paying through the nose.

Right now a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD is currently in sale for £310 on Amazon. I think it's going to take more than a few years before prices are even level (at the same capacity) between HDDs and SSDs.
  • Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Bit if a simpleton question, but following these updates, is there a way i can upload my gameplay videos to something that's not Facebook (ie YouTube)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit if a simpleton question, but following these updates, is there a way i can upload my gameplay videos to something that's not Facebook (ie YouTube)?

No, the only way to upload to YouTube is to export the video and do it via a PC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solid state drives are going to be out of the question for most people if capacity is what they're after, unless they enjoy paying through the nose.

Right now a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD is currently in sale for £310 on Amazon. I think it's going to take more than a few years before prices are even level (at the same capacity) between HDDs and SSDs.

Yeah and last October the same drive was £574.95 meaning that in 8 months it's almost halved in price.

If this trend continues we will see SSDs match mechanical drives in around 3 years.
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    No, the only way to upload to YouTube is to export the video and do it via a PC.

And bear in mind that uploading straight to YouTube should arrive by the end of the year.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member

That is lovely, I'm tempted for my MacBook
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See were on new fw today. Software stability.

I don't get that as my games lay flat on a table and could hardly be more stable. .....oh well
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    See were on new fw today. Software stability.

I don't get that as my games lay flat on a table and could hardly be more stable. .....oh well

Oh its for the people like me who make pyramid towers with their games. It's about time Sony implemented something to sort this mess out. This is why Sony will lose this console war as this feature should have been part of the ps4 from the beginning. The ps3 had this feature so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume the ps4 should have it before now.

That's it. Should I sell my ps4 and get an xbox1 ? How does the xbone games stack up ? (See what I did there?)
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha :)

To be honest I updated. Played a game of battlefield. When I quit I got a ce screen wheras before ive been fine.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've almost finished my bottle of wine, so if I can get a stability update in about half an hour, that would be lovely. :)
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More bloody stability patches. Where the hell are the new features (Or old PS3 features) Sony? I guess easy to develop for doesn't carry over to the OS on PS4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    More bloody stability patches. Where the hell are the new features (Or old PS3 features) Sony? I guess easy to develop for doesn't carry over to the OS on PS4.

I just want the Suspend/Resume feature we were promised.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MS may have made some stupid decisions, but at least it's been providing regular updates and adding new features.

Is Sony just complacent because of the lead it has?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MS certainly seem to be handling the system updates better than Sony at the moment.

I remember the early years on PS3 and been excited about new firmware updates hoping they would bring some cool new features.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    I saw some comments from Sony at e3 where they said that they favor having big updates every few months rather than more regular smaller updates.

Reason given was that by spending more time on the big updates they can introduce more stuff of higher quality than they could by trying to rush through a monthly update.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MS has been managing "stuff of higher quality" each month, though. Some of the monthly updates have been rather minor (but still worthwhile), but several have been major.

Seems silly that when I get my PS4 next week I won't be able to play 3D BDs on it, yet will be able to do so on my Xbox One.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw some comments from Sony at e3 where they said that they favor having big updates every few months rather than more regular smaller updates.

Reason given was that by spending more time on the big updates they can introduce more stuff of higher quality than they could by trying to rush through a monthly update.

Sony seem pretty happy updating almost monthly, shame very few new features are included.

I would prefer a steady stream of new feature than massive new updates with big gaps between them. The PS3 in the early years felt like a console still evolving and growing which created its own excitement. The XB1 seems to be doing well in that regard.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Sony seem pretty happy updating almost monthly, shame very few new features are included.

I would prefer a steady stream of new feature than massive new updates with big gaps between them. The PS3 in the early years felt like a console still evolving and growing which created its own excitement. The XB1 seems to be doing well in that regard.

Not really, the X1 is only catching up to where the 360 has been for years, yes there are some new features but most of it is catch up due to a rushed launch and back tracking from the disastrous E3 reveal.

All still very welcome though, Sony will probably do a massive update in one go.
  • the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    MS has been managing "stuff of higher quality" each month, though. Some of the monthly updates have been rather minor (but still worthwhile), but several have been major.

Seems silly that when I get my PS4 next week I won't be able to play 3D BDs on it, yet will be able to do so on my Xbox One.

You will be able to with 1.75 but if thats all they are adding then its a disappointment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All people did (especially 360 owners) was bitch and moan every time there was a PS3 update. Even some of the large gaming news sites would moan about it so I can't really blame Sony if they decided to try something a little different this time round.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Firmware 1.75 with 3D bluray support is launched next week

From Twitter:
    PlayStation ✔ @PlayStation
    Follow
    Coming next week: PS4 system software update 1.75 adds 3D Blu-ray film support. Woo-hoo!
    3:05 AM - 24 Jul 2014
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Firmware 1.75 with 3D bluray support is launched next week

From Twitter:

That was a quick turnaround.

Makes me think a lot of the media support is done and ready to go, but Sony were waiting to roll it all out together to big fanfare in 1.8 at Gamescom. MS have forced their hand on this one so they're putting 3DBD out early.