'No loud Americans' sign in County Kerry, Ireland, slammed by local residents

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
'No loud Americans' sign in County Kerry, Ireland, slammed by local residents

A shopkeeper in an Irish village faced a backlash from members of his community, after he said he would not serve “loud Americans”.

Peter Fitzgerald of Waterville, County Kerry, posted a sign in Peter’s Place cafe which banned loud Americans, as well as travellers on coach and bus tours.

Northern Irish holidaymaker Maurice Campbell spotted the sign while on holiday, and posted a photo of it on Twitter. The tweet soon went viral, and made international headlines.

He told CNBC: "I thought it was out of order. It seemed nasty. 'It's in an area that's very dependent on tourism."

Now, his fellow villagers have hit back by saying they won’t let the sign compromise their valued relationship with Americans.

Waterville is part of the scenic Ring of Kerry, an unspoilt part of Ireland which attracts tens of thousands of tourists a year. Almost 1 million travellers from the US went to Ireland last year.

Albert Walsh, chairman of Waterville Business Association, told BBC News: "What we want to do is reflect the real attitude to America.

"There is a loud welcome in Waterville for all loud American visitors and friends.

"Ours would be the last place on the island that would be anti-American."

Louise Huggard, who runs the Butler Arms Hotel, said visitors always talk of the sincere warm welcome they feel at Waterville: "from Charlie Chaplin to Tiger Woods to the late Payne Stewart who was honorary captain of Waterville golf links,” she said.

“So, we have now decided as a village to be a bit louder about welcoming our visitors. Especially our American visitors.”

Mr Fitzgerald has not responded to a request for a comment on the sign.

Source:- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/no-loud-americans-sign-in-county-kerry-ireland-slammed-by-local-residents-9627337.html

What about loud Scots or English people then? as someone posted in the comments, there are loud people in most any country. I thought the Irish economy wasn't doing so well in recent years - he must be doing ok to be able to be so selective?.

Also, I laughed at the fact it was written in such large writing, he ran out of room to add the 's' in Americans and had to put it on another line and forgot to make it plural with 'bus/coach' - what; just one of each isn't allowed? :confused: doh!

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,260
    Forum Member
    I worked in tourism for 6 years almost straight out of school. I met some wonderful people from the USA who were curious, polite and wanted to know what i was explaining. Then there were others who were loud, rude, annoying and just wanted the tour to be over. For once i found stereotypes to be true, what states they came from did matter.

But i could probably say the same thing for a few countries...
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Source:- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/no-loud-americans-sign-in-county-kerry-ireland-slammed-by-local-residents-9627337.html

What about loud Scots or English people then? as someone posted in the comments, there are loud people in most any country. I thought the Irish economy wasn't doing so well in recent years - he must be doing ok to be able to be so selective?.

Also, I laughed at the fact it was written in such large writing, he ran out of room to add the 's' in Americans and had to put it on another line and forgot to make it plural with 'bus/coach' - what; just one of each isn't allowed? :confused: doh!

That's racist.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Waterville a couple of months ago and it was lovely, we had a meal in a pub with an American family sitting beside us chatting away to the man who worked there. The sign wouldn't put me off visiting.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    I worked in tourism for 6 years almost straight out of school. I met some wonderful people from the USA who were curious, polite and wanted to know what i was explaining. Then there were others who were loud, rude, annoying and just wanted the tour to be over. For once i found stereotypes to be true, what states they came from did matter.

But i could probably say the same thing for a few countries...

I've come across both types of Americans.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    dragonzord wrote: »
    That's racist.

There'd be no point in pointing out the obvious so what insight do you refer to?
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because of that sign I have canceled my annual trip in search of me' pot o gold.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    There'd be no point in pointing out the obvious so what insight do you refer to?

'That's racist' is a meme, I believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    Because of that sign I have canceled my annual trip in search of me' pot o gold.

:D:D
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'That would be a ecumenical matter'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'I hear you're a racist now father'.:D
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    LOL, nice bit of free advertising there :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    'I hear you're a racist now father'.:D

Was that not the best episode ever? :D
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

if it said no loud polish people ,would that be racist ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Was that not the best episode ever? :D

Yes it was.Never tire of watching it.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    dragonzord wrote: »
    if it said no loud polish people ,would that be racist ?

No ..
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just put 'No Wazzocks' :cool:
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I know which country I'm now going to visit. You all are some serious party people.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/magaluf-video-shows-british-girl-3802568
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been the talk here in Ireland this week. It reeks of '50s racism such as signs saying 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs!' on windows of boarding houses in England.

I've been told by a friend of mine that the owner of Pete's Place, Mr Peter Fitzgerald, is actually British! :eek:
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd just put 'No Wazzocks' :cool:

Charming!.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    This has been the talk here in Ireland this week. It reeks of '50s racism such as signs saying 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs!' on windows of boarding houses in England.

I've been told by a friend of mine that the owner of Pete's Place, Mr Peter Fitzgerald, is actually British! :eek:

I loved Phil Lynotts (Thin Lizzy) one liner.He was asked 'how does it feel to be Irish and black?'.He replied 'like a pint of Guinness'.:cool:

PS.I know he was born in West Bromich,but at least his mother was Irish,his father American.:)
  • Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »

People from the celtic nations are only British when they do something right.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Charming!.

:D :yawn:
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have called Charlie Chaplin a loud American, even after the advent of the talkies.
  • Boneman1946Boneman1946 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have called Charlie Chaplin a loud American, even after the advent of the talkies.

Perhaps because he was British!
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps because he was British!

(Shrugs, and wanders towards horizon twirling cane).