Options

Premier Christian Radio makes another medium wave transmitter appeal

MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,898
Forum Member
Premier Christian Radio is making another appeal for funds for their medium wave transmitters saying they were in a horrible state of repair last year and have continued to deteriorate since.
https://my.premier.org.uk/endofjuly2014

As last year they talk about 200,000 listeners relying on medium wave, their actual reach last quarter was 97,000 so presume they mean potential reach. In a letter that's been posted on the BDXC list that they've sent out they say

"We have gone on as long as possible, but unless we begin to address this issue, our Medium Wave broadcast could become vulnerable as the transmitters are so old there are no spare parts available for repair."

There was a report on another forum this April which I'd no reason to doubt that 1332 had been off for a few days, I checked here, couldn't hear it, emailed them asking if it was down for maintenance and they replied two or three days later that the transmitter was fine and on air. No one on their Facebook page had complained about this either.

Comments

• Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    If they were to ask around I'm sure they would eventually be able to find some medium wave transmitters for free, or very nearly free.

People are throwing them away!
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premier should ask their listeners to pray for a few miracles !

Better still, they could ask the ABofC to spare some of the dosh they obtained from flogging their holding in Wonga, those nice people lending money at a paltry 5,853% APR.

Best of all, they could ask the ABofC to flog his massive luxury palace in London. Mind you, giving that up really would be a miracle !
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    As last year they talk about 200,000 listeners relying on medium wave, their actual reach last quarter was 97,000 so presume they mean potential reach.

Is Spin a Sin?
    MikeBr wrote: »
    In a letter that's been posted on the BDXC list that they've sent out they say

"We have gone on as long as possible, but unless we begin to address this issue, our Medium Wave broadcast could become vulnerable as the transmitters are so old there are no spare parts available for repair."

There was a report on another forum this April which I'd no reason to doubt that 1332 had been off for a few days, I checked here, couldn't hear it, emailed them asking if it was down for maintenance and they replied two or three days later that the transmitter was fine and on air. No one on their Facebook page had complained about this either.

According to the link they bought the assets but then found the transmitters in a terrible state. What happened to 'due diligence' when buying these liquidated assets? Probably would have been better off spending the money on some (maintainable) second hand transmitters from an alternative source.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Spin a Sin?

According to the link they bought the assets but then found the transmitters in a terrible state. What happened to 'due diligence' when buying these liquidated assets? Probably would have been better off spending the money on some (maintainable) second hand transmitters from an alternative source.
    It could be they managed to get a good deal from the administrators of the Alice transmission dept which might have included the masts, site, link kit and huts as well as transmitters?
    The Heathrow site has been running since the days of the Airport information radio station, and then Premier, so may need mast as well as transmitter attention?
    http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/heathrow.php
    Would have thought most listeners are on DAB and Freeview, but as the DSO target is no longer 2015 might be worth keeping AM going a bit longer?
  • Options
    KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the link they bought the assets but then found the transmitters in a terrible state.
    I've been wondering what has happened to the Chingford tx on 1305, it used to be stronger than the Bow tx on 1332 at my location, but the signal is now way down on the Bow tx.

Also, I've noticed that the synchronization between the two transmitters (Dartford Marshes/Heathrow) on 1413 is now off by a few Hz.

Maybe some divine intervention is needed. :D