Options

A question about Holocaust Day?

Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
Forum Member
Its this Sunday by the way.

Does anyone know how Jewish people today explain away the Holocaust with their belief in a kind and caring god?

What was "he" doing back then?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Health and safety. He was away on a community care course.
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find a Jewish person and ask them? Or any believer in any God, plenty to choose from.
  • Options
    BogzBogz Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised that many survivors would have become atheists and many would have still kept their faith.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know how symbolic the holocaust that occurred during World War 2 is, but I really wish they'd have a general 'victims of genocide' remembrance day instead - more people died in Russia at the hands of Stalin during WW2 than anywhere else, which is almost airbrushed out of history. All the people who've suffered in Europe and Africa in the modern era etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God was busy. He often is.
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was out on a team building day out with all the other gods
  • Options
    tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe that God is a "he" or was/is any form of human existence at all. I believe "God" is more an energy/force rather than a being.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Near the beginning of the tour of Auschwitz there's a large photograph of a german officer sending those getting off the trains to the left or right. One side for labour, the other side straight to the gas chambers.

By the end of the tour you realise that those going straight to the chambers were the lucky ones.

One thing's certain - god was never in Auschwitz.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God hates Jews? :p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No one ever seems to address this question, I guess jews and other religion types have no credible answer and as such shy away from it?
  • Options
    skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one ever seems to address this question, I guess jews and other religion types have no credible answer and as such shy away from it?

I guess it's a very difficult one to answer, even for a theologist. Why you think the average man in the street should know is beyond me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skazza wrote: »
    I guess it's a very difficult one to answer, even for a theologist. Why you think the average man in the street should know is beyond me.

Its beyond me why you could still be religious if you have no idea?
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

I've seen similar questions answered and it's usually done by attributing good stuff to god and the world's ills to free will and sinful humans. So the Germans were busy gassing millions because they were exercising their free will and god, meanwhile, was creating rainbows and kittens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    I've seen similar questions answered and it's usually done by attributing good stuff to god and the world's ills to free will and sinful humans. So the Germans were busy gassing millions because they were exercising their free will and god, meanwhile, was creating rainbows and kittens.

:D

The free will argument holds no water with me. God is all powerful. He could take away free will with a snap of his fingers. No more dead babies.

He would rather we had the free will to kill each other than to save the children. That's God for ya! ;)
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no god.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it doesn't make sense, it's total bollocks.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this mean God is a holocaust denier?

Would that stop people believing in him?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Its this Sunday by the way.

Does anyone know how Jewish people today explain away the Holocaust with their belief in a kind and caring god?

What was "he" doing back then?:confused:

I suspect that most people who believe in a god also believe in satan or other evil forces and they believe that men are compelled to do things by both supernatural forces.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    :D

The free will argument holds no water with me. God is all powerful. He could take away free will with a snap of his fingers. No more dead babies.

He would rather we had the free will to kill each other than to save the children. That's God for ya! ;)

Ah, but you see without free will we would be robots. :D

If I were a god, I'd keep free will but make all people nice. :)