What is worse: Modern Art or the Fasion Industry?

Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
Forum Member
Those godawful catwalk shows with skeletal 6 foot girls or galleries full of crap that people are too pretentious to say is just that, crap?

Which is worse in your opinion?

Comments

• vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I vote neither.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fashion Industry. They spend and make oodles of money creating clothes that no-one ever wears. Ever. Maybe once. But once they leave the catwalk....

Modern Art is at least hilarious. Remember the "artist" who stuck a load of used condoms on a board and called it art?
  • Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Fashion Industry. They spend and make oodles of money creating clothes that no-one ever wears. Ever. Maybe once. But once they leave the catwalk....

Modern Art is at least hilarious. Remember the "artist" who stuck a load of used condoms on a board and called it art?

what a cock-up that was
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,041
    Forum Member
    Those godawful catwalk shows with skeletal 6 foot girls or galleries full of crap that people are too pretentious to say is just that, crap?

Which is worse in your opinion?

As I like some modern art, I go with fashion.

Of course, what is worst of all is people who think "I don't like it, so it must be crap"
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    As I like some modern art, I go with fashion.

Of course, what is worst of all is people who think "I don't like it, so it must be crap"

I do think most people can appreciate beautiful art and can tell when they see an unmade bed or a pile of bricks that it is shite
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fashion is modern art.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think most people can appreciate beautiful art and can tell when they see an unmade bed or a pile of bricks that it is shite

Doesn't leave a whole lot of room for differences of opinion that. How dull :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most modern art is crap, but at least it doesn't promote anorexia and hate women, so I would say the fashion industry.
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    Doesn't leave a whole lot of room for differences of opinion that. How dull :(

I dont see dullness in mother nature?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Neither, I like both.
    Forum Member

Now, I like some of the 'pile of bricks' stuff. I find it interesting.

Whereas, the day I spent in the National Gallery bored me - I appreciate the skill, but the end result tends not to excite me. Now, Picasso or Dali...
    Forum Member
    Now, I like some of the 'pile of bricks' stuff. I find it interesting.

Whereas, the day I spent in the National Gallery bored me - I appreciate the skill, but the end result tends not to excite me. Now, Picasso or Dali...

Lots of things are interesting, like Serial killers and monster cock videos but its not really art
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Modern art. When people like Tracey Emin can call themselves artists, I despair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Modern art. When people like Tracey Emin can call themselves artists, I despair.

Why? The bed? I thought that was pretty cool.
  • royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People need jobs - thats the nature of capitalism. If people didn't need to make money then there would be a lot less of the awful art and fashion that is produced en masse.

Google the free world charter and get rid of both - and reduce your working week while your at it.
    Forum Member
    Lots of things are interesting, like Serial killers and monster cock videos but its not really art

Neither of those things are interesting, but modern art is art. You just don't like it. Doesn't stop it being art.

I don't like the Mona Lisa. It didn't move me or engage me when I saw it. It's still art
    Forum Member
    Neither of those things are interesting, but modern art is art. You just don't like it. Doesn't stop it being art.

I don't like the Mona Lisa. It didn't move me or engage me when I saw it. It's still art

Both are interesting as is the Mona Lisa

Perhaps you have an example of the modern art you like?
    Forum Member

Her work is criminal:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love some modern paintings, not keen on these unmade beds and pickled cows. My friends 5 year old can draw as well as Emin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Both are fine. Pretentious people wouldn’t stop being that way if neither existed. Having their own little niche keeps them out of my way, something I heartily approve of because it means less of my time is wasted talking to muppets.

Maybe they actually do like it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*shrug*

Seagram Murals are wonderful. Don't need to imagine it.
    Forum Member
    Both are interesting as is the Mona Lisa

Perhaps you have an example of the modern art you like?

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks?sid=3501

A lot of this is the kind of thing I like, Rothko, Mondrian, Dali, Picasso. I prefer more geometric and abstract shapes, as well as the cleverness of 'good' surrealism. I take each piece on it's own merits - I like roughly 25% of what I see, and actively dislike 50% (the remainder is 'meh'). Not a big fan of installations, for example - i never quite see the point

I'm happy for you not to like any of it
    Forum Member

Have done. Like them. Not pish. :D
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that you have raised this issue means that the fashion or art has achieved its objective, you are talking about.

The outlandish items on the catwalk are purely to bring attention to the designer, without this display of indivuality their potential latent talent could pass unnoticed. Likewise Emin's bed and Hirst's shark brought them to the worlds attention.

I am a great admirer of modern art but recognise it is not always readily accessible particularly when it is ridiculed and derided in popular media. Don't judge until you have seen it displayed in a gallery as the artist intended, you may be surprised.

For them record, I consider much of Emin's work and particularly her drawings, remember she is Professor of Drawing at the RA, an abomination.