Missing Chef Claudia Lawrence

pat898pat898 Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi everyone, reading "Gone" the book by Neil Root, about the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence. So far no one has been arrested with this crime, I have not read the full book. I've read that a policeman has not come forward, after it is claimed she had a affair with one. What does everyone think of this case.

I hope its ok to speak about this missing person :)

Comments

• ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's already a thread about her disappearance floating aound here somewhere.

Welcome to DS :D
  • pat898pat898 Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there's already a thread about her disappearance floating aound here somewhere.

Welcome to DS :D

Thankyou :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
  • pat898pat898 Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you I suspect you would like this sort of post/ picture posted if you have a missing person from your family.

:(
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    pat898 wrote: »
    Thank you I suspect you would like this sort of post/ picture posted if you have a missing person from your family.

Is Claudia a member of your family then?
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ignore him. He was just trying to be funny because of your name but failed as usual.

We usually just pat him on the head and nod and smile :P
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very strange case. She's almost certainly dead, but there seems to be absolutely no leads or clues whatsoever. I've also heard that the police are deliberately keeping back some details back from the public, though I'm not really sure why when it could potentially help? What was this "complex personal life " they keep going on about?
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think this poster "knew" you were related?

So now you are here, tell us what you can. It's a public forum so use it to your advantage.

I assume you want to keep focus on the case etc... I don't have time to read books right now so if you can summarise that would be great.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very strange case. She's almost certainly dead, but there seems to be absolutely no leads or clues whatsoever. I've also heard that the police are deliberately keeping back some details back from the public, though I'm not really sure why when it could potentially help? What was this "complex personal life " they keep going on about?

Was there a suggestion that she might be a good time girl, what ever that alludes to ?
    I wouldn't want to speculate. So I won't.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard that the police searched a house on East Parade, which is just round the corner from Claudia's home, some months after her disappearance and that it belonged to a male friend of hers who had recently committed suicide.

But that may well have just been local gossip.
  • PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Was there a suggestion that she might be a good time girl, what ever that alludes to ?
    I wouldn't want to speculate. So I won't.

I wonder if this simply means that the police looked at her computer and saw that she was in touch with a few men, maybe from dating sites or forums, and came to a wrong conclusion.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if this simply means that the police looked at her computer and saw that she was in touch with a few men, maybe from dating sites or forums, and came to a wrong conclusion.

i think the issue was that she didn't mind if the men were married or not.
    The press always likes to paint the woman in the bad light. She was single. They were married.
  • Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really feel for Claudia's family. Not only do they have to cope with her disappearance and likely murder but they also have to deal with the speculation that has arisen over her relationships with men. I understand that the police have to raise these as lines of enquiry but they have been thrown out there, often cryptically worded so hat speculation has filled the vacuum where there is no fact. Hence the speculation by a poster on this thread that she was a 'good time girl' (no basis in truth as far as I am aware) and other types of allegation.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    I really feel for Claudia's family. Not only do they have to cope with her disappearance and likely murder but they also have to deal with the speculation that has arisen over her relationships with men. I understand that the police have to raise these as lines of enquiry but they have been thrown out there, often cryptically worded so hat speculation has filled the vacuum where there is no fact. Hence the speculation by a poster on this thread that she was a 'good time girl' (no basis in truth as far as I am aware) and other types of allegation.

I am only remembering what I read in in newspapers. I realise that the media often put 2 and 2 together and make 5. The fact that she allegedly had relationships with married men etc isn't my words. Its been reported in newspapers.
    Its bad for the family, no-one wants to think the worst but when the brief facts that have been given out are put together, it doesn't seem like a random event.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    A deeply tragic tale.One can only hope for resolution for the family rather than this torment of not knowing in a kind of limbo land.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »

The police have been cryptic because they know that revealing she'd had relationships with married men would have dramatically altered the public mood, remember women are judged far more harshly than men. I can't imagine there would have been as much sympathy for her had it it been revealed she'd been sleeping with other peoples husbands.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if she'll ever be found? Suzy Lamplugh is another missing, presumed dead, girl.

The families must be devastated, not knowing for certain.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Wasn't there a theory she was the first victim of the Crossbow Cannibal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/crossbow-cannibal-stephen-griffiths-urged-108304

Possibly. Is Stephen Griffiths still alive, 3 years on from his hunger strike?

ETA: he is, apparently, after a sixth suicide attempt last year.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were posters up of her asking for information in the village I live in in Cheshire. I found that odd and wondered what linked her to there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    There were posters up of her asking for information in the village I live in in Cheshire. I found that odd and wondered what linked her to there.
    How strange. Any idea who put the posters up?
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    How strange. Any idea who put the posters up?

Nope, no idea if it was the police or other bods. It was very odd.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A bit of water-boarding might help establish his side of the story when it comes to that theory :)
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a creepy case. I'm at the University of York and so it always unsettles me thinking about it, I try not to. Missing person cases in general do not bother me, but when I first moved to York for uni, I remember walking past a post office and thinking "this is weird, everything seems really familiar" despite me never having being there before in my life. Then I remembered seeing it on the news/Crimewatch re: Claudia Lawrence and I felt uneasy. Same for walking past the park on Hull Road which they searched, and certain areas on campus where they showed CCTV of her from the days before she went missing.

I actually think it'd be less unsettling if she had been found - even if she was found dead. But it is the not knowing where exactly she his, what exactly happened and who did whatever they did (I mean she must be dead, murdered, surely?) and the idea they could still be out there in my far-too-close-for-comfort surroundings that makes this case particularly stand out.

I usually "love" reading about weird cases like this, but this one, less so.

EDIT: she also worked at my college in uni, in the Roger Kirk centre kitchen... literally 90 seconds or so from my bedroom in first year. :(

Her poor parents.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I honetly don't know what to think. The whole case is bizarre, so I wouldn't be surprised at all, if she is actually still alive.
This discussion has been closed.