Locking down browser for kids

!!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My stepdaughter is only 10 and has her 'own' laptop, which she mostly uses for Minecraft and watching YouTube.

Everytime I go on it, it's riddled with adware, the browser start page is hijacked and she's got all kinds of rubbish. Obviously, and this is entirely expected, she can't discern a dodgy website from a good one and would surely click on a pop up that said "you've got a virus".

She was using an administrator account, which her dad set up for her. I've changed this to a normal user account (and added a passworded administrator), but this doesn't stop her messing up the browser with dodgy extensions or toolbars and from the homepage being changed.

How can I lock down Chrome so she can't change it? And is being a 'user' ok for her purposes or are there deeper security settings I should alter? Minecraft doesn't install, so she does need to be able to run a straight exe file.

EDIT - in trying to install a Minecraft mod for her, I've discovered where all this crap comes from. All the major minecraft sites use some very dubious download servers which have lots of lovely, misleading buttons, ads that are compulsory and which on the whole Adblock seriously dislikes!

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Hmm...the problem with Chrome is that by default it stores all its settings in Appdata which the user has full access to even if they are a restricted user. In a domain environment you can lock down Google Chrome using their group policy templates. You can apply these locally but unfortunately this would require Windows Pro or Ultimate so is unlikely to be any use for most people.

Whilst I don't think you are going to be able to lock down Chrome itself you can always try and block the worst of the malicious content so that (in theory) it doesn't even reach the computer. Check out OpenDNS.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I thought (and is surely a huge security issue in this new world of browser-served software). You'd think Chrome would have an admin mode and a user mode.

I'll have a look at OpenDNS, thanks. Though I'd rather not put network-wide security on. I'm sure there must be a similar local piece of software that will run everything through a local proxy?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adblock Pro will solve a lot of your problems. No ads means no 'click here!' popups.

If you are using Windows 8, there are lots of Family Safety options. You can have a whitelist of sites which are the only ones that can be accessed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have Adblock Plus but somehow things are getting through!
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    We use family safety on our kids computer. Any lock down of sites affects every single browser which is good. It's probably not as full featured as some parental control software but seems to do the job for us
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I've used the network filters from OpenDns in the past. Easy to set up and amend for your purpose.
  • TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ++1 for OpenDns

I use it at home and it has saved a whole lot of grief.

Very adaptable for all members of the family.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    I'll have a look at OpenDNS, thanks. Though I'd rather not put network-wide security on. I'm sure there must be a similar local piece of software that will run everything through a local proxy?
    For what its worth, although the guides talk about configuring your router, you can simply put the DNS settings into the single PC if you prefer. That way any other devices on the network remain unaffected. A restricted user will not be able to remove/change these settings.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »

I've used Privoxy successfully in the past, both locally and run on the router, for ad-stripping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    For what its worth, although the guides talk about configuring your router, you can simply put the DNS settings into the single PC if you prefer. That way any other devices on the network remain unaffected. A restricted user will not be able to remove/change these settings.

Ah ok. I'll look at that. Did seem that I could do it but they don't really mention it!