Options

Travelling with passport in maiden name...

Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys

We are going to book a holiday abroad next year. My wife has her passport in her maiden name still (married last year) and it has 6 years till it expires.

Under the heading 'cut your costs' on this link

It says:
"To change the name on your passport, you have to renew it, which costs £72.50. However, it is legal for you to use a passport in your previous name until it expires. Just remember the name on any airline tickets must match the name on your passport or you may not be allowed to travel."

Is that right does anyone know??

Comments

• Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is right.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Ive been married 6 years and still have my maiden name on my passport, well on everything coz Ive never got round to changing it.

Your passport doesnt say Mrs or Ms either.

If the tickets are booked in her married name, just call up and get them changed
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the passport and ticket names match then no problem.

Before the days of high security you could get away with a copy of your marriage cert as proof but not any more.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Hi guys

We are going to book a holiday abroad next year. My wife has her passport in her maiden name still (married last year) and it has 6 years till it expires.

Under the heading 'cut your costs' on this link

It says:
    "To change the name on your passport, you have to renew it, which costs £72.50. However, it is legal for you to use a passport in your previous name until it expires. Just remember the name on any airline tickets must match the name on your passport or you may not be allowed to travel."

Is that right does anyone know??

Yes, that's exactly right. My married niece (who's passport is still in her maiden name) has just been to Majorca. Providing the ticket and passport are both in the same name there's no problem.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Ive been married 6 years and still have my maiden name on my passport, well on everything coz Ive never got round to changing it.

Your passport doesnt say Mrs or Ms either.

If the tickets are booked in her married name, just call up and get them changed

If you called the airline to have the name changed, it's dollars to doughnuts that you'd be hit with a hefty "admin" charge.
    On a slightly related topic, I went to the U.S. with my then girlfriend in the late 70s.
    Incredibly, the travel agent said that some hotels in the U.S. were a bit hinky about un-married couples sharing a room, and we should say that we were on honeymoon and hadn't had my "wife's" name changed in her passport yet.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are unsure, then check with your airline at the time of booking. Much safer than relying on DS.

However, as has been confirmed above, passport and ticket names must match, that's what matters on check-in.

If someone then plans to hire cars and present a driving licence in a different name to the passport (for eg) then there may be difficulties but not for flights in the circumstances outlined.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I travelled with my passport in my maiden name for years after I married until it expired and I got my new one. No issues at all, except that, as others have said, the name on the ticket must match that on the passport.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you haven't booked yet then just book the tickets in your wife's maiden name.

If you have booked find out the cost of changing details and weigh that up against the £72 cost of changing it on the passport.

Don't attempt to get to the airport with tickets in one name and passport in another as that will be even more costly for you.

When we got married we raised the question of booking in the married name and taking the marriage certificate as evidence but was told that it was extremely unlikely we would be allowed to use that.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Yep is correct we got married abroad and needed new passports for that, my wife kept hers in her maiden name until last year when due for renewal, just remember to book all tickets in her maiden name.

We had a few long weekends away with my parents and my dad kept booking in her married name, so we just bought along her marriage certificate to show. We were never questioned accept when going to Prauge.