Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS update - UK

Comments

• soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    That's not right. Unlocked and unbranded Samsung Galaxys S2's are all on firmware 2.3.4. There has just been one update from 2.3.3. If you have been recieving updates from T-Mobile, then you will have to rely on T-Mobile sending out ICS, not Samsung.

Want to explain what exactly isn't right with what I said? My LOCKED but unbranded phone is running 2.3.4 unbranded firmware. It updated itself over the air from 2.3.3 directly via Samsung (T Mobile actually remove that ability in their version of the firmware).

Honestly, there would be a lot less disagreement on these forums if people actually read what other posters write!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Wonder how people are still on 2.3.3/2.3.4, 2.3.6 has been out for a few months now
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how people are still on 2.3.3/2.3.4, 2.3.6 has been out for a few months now

2.3.6 was only released with operator brandings I think.
    http://androidforums.com/3945505-post32.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    2.3.6 was only released with operator brandings I think.
    http://androidforums.com/3945505-post32.html

I think that is one clue to whether you will get the ICS update in the next few days or not. The latest unbranded firmware is 2.3.4 and so, if your phone is running anything else, you might have to wait until the operator releases their own version in due course.
  • falko89falko89 Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3UK have released ICS, Still no sign of unbranded
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,618
    Forum Member
    No news on Voda yet either.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    Orange, O2, T-Mobile, Vodafone have it on test mode at the moment.....So, shouldn't be too long. O2 have said it will be here by the end of the month...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours are that Vodafone may be out today or tomorrow.

I can't help but wonder what happened to unbranded:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Orange, O2, T-Mobile, Vodafone have it on test mode at the moment.....So, shouldn't be too long. O2 have said it will be here by the end of the month...:)

Your kidding right? Orange took about 10 months to give the Froyo update to the Galaxy S. I have no faith in holding my breath for my Orange phone. If it's not here by the end of the month, I'm just going to flash ICS onto it.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Thats weird that its out today for Three UK mobile customers but not for unbranded phones....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Thats weird that its out today for Three UK mobile customers but not for unbranded phones....

Same happened when 2.3.4 was rolled out, Unbranded were one of the last to get it.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    coolmark18 wrote: »
    Your kidding right? Orange took about 10 months to give the Froyo update to the Galaxy S. I have no faith in holding my breath for my Orange phone. If it's not here by the end of the month, I'm just going to flash ICS onto it.

Kidding about what? It's a fact they all have them in testing. I'm only interested in O2 who have stated it will be out before the end of the month......I don't think any of them will take as long as other updates.
    From early reports it might be better to wait a while rather than rushing in, just because it's out...Time will tell.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    After about an hour messing about with connections on Kies I'm now finally the proud owner of ICS... Good on you Three for making it available!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Like many, I purchased my Sim Free UK SGS2 (XEU) at great cost and feel Samsung has let us down in terms of updates. We have been stuck on Gingerbread 2.3.4 while others with branded handsets have enjoyed 2.3.5 and 2.3.6. Now comes a major update and yet again Samsung is going to leave Sim Free owners to last. It would be kind to call Samsung customer service pathetic!

So Samsung, you have forced my hand and I will now reluctantly buy an iPhone 4S because at least you know where you stand on updates on iPhone and everyone gets the update at the same time, no fuss!
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    energy6uk wrote: »
    Like many, I purchased my Sim Free UK SGS2 (XEU) at great cost and feel Samsung has let us down in terms of updates. We have been stuck on Gingerbread 2.3.4 while others with branded handsets have enjoyed 2.3.5 and 2.3.6. Now comes a major update and yet again Samsung is going to leave Sim Free owners to last. It would be kind to call Samsung customer service pathetic!

So Samsung, you have forced my hand and I will now reluctantly buy an iPhone 4S because at least you know where you stand on updates on iPhone and everyone gets the update at the same time, no fuss!

Really isn't a major problem. ICS update has issues- its not perfect and there is no noticeable UI difference because TouchWiz is slapped over the top. So I dont know why the fuss.

Theres nothing stopping you from updating your firmware to a open Europe ICS already available on Sammobile Firmware.

I'm running the Italian 2.3.6 which is excellent and very stable.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-I9100&r=1#regiona
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can see the update on Kies, but not too fussed for a few graphical tweaks and fancier task manager. Google chrome beta looks interesting, but I already have tabbed browsing with Dolphin HD. May give it a few days see what bugs are real and which are imagined.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    Can see the update on Kies

which version/network?

Latest from samsung's FB page - doesn't really add much, but hey:
    We are working as quickly as possible to bring Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) to our Galaxy S II customers. The UK roll out commenced on Monday 19th March and will continue over the coming weeks, however the availability of software upgrades will be subject to each network’s own software approvals process.
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me what the latest UK Generic Gingerbread Firmware is?

Is it;

GT-I9100_XEU_I9100WK14
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    The ENGLISH(Europe) manual for ICS for the Galaxy S2 is now on the Samsung website
    User Manual(Icecream sandwich) release date 19 March, 2012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the latest UK Generic Gingerbread Firmware is?

Is it;

GT-I9100_XEU_I9100WK14

that's what I've got, but I dabbled in other firmwares then reverted back to a standard version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers Paul.

Did you buy your handset unlocked and SIM free?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Cheers Paul.

Did you buy your handset unlocked and SIM free?

bought from CPW on a contract but unlocked. Didn't keep track of original firmware and just grabbed that one from the forums though. *think* its right!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was CPW firmware. Flashed it with generic but still no ICS update.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    which version/network?

Latest from samsung's FB page - doesn't really add much, but hey:

sorry, am on 3, so its PDA:LPQ/PHONE:LP2/CSC:LP2 (H3G)