Miss Marple - Why didnt they ask Evans?

eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ITV Wed 8pm
1. Is this a rfepeat
2. If not, is it one that was filmed last year and waiting for a slot
3. or is it a new seriea
4, finally, is this an original miss marple story?

Comments

• Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. No
    2. Yes, more than a year ago.
    3. See above.
    4. Yes
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    One of those stories they have been messing about with. It doesn't have Poirot and it doesn't have Miss Jane Marple.

The hero is called Bobby in the novel.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the first time it is being seen on British TV, but it was shown in America nearly two years ago.

Wikipedia has an interesting article about Why Didn't they Ask Evans? It is full of spoilers, but since there are so many changes from the original story that might not matter too much unless you read to the end.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_Didn%27t_They_Ask_Evans%3F
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this in the US, hated it. One of the worst adaptations I've seen. A Pocketful oF Rye, which was repeated on ITV3 last week was brilliant however.
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    1. No
    2. Yes, more than a year ago.
    3. See above.
    4. Yes

I'm not an expert but I think you are wrong on 4 and Miss M was not in the original story
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't understand how they can adapt this as a Marple as Miss Marple is not in the original story.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »

It's an old Agatha Christie Story which ITV have inserted the character of Miss Marple into.

They did the same thing with 'The Secret Of Chimneys' which aired last year. Neither had Miss Marple in the originals.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    ITV Wed 8pm

This has been on the shelf for over 2 years, it was part of series 4. ITV have filmed and aired an entire new series [series 5] since then.

It's been on the shelf for a reason;)
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    This has been on the shelf for over 2 years, it was part of series 4. ITV have filmed and aired an entire new series [series 5] since then.

It's been on the shelf for a reason;)

Quite :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I really don't understand how they can adapt this as a Marple as Miss Marple is not in the original story.

To be honest they did this with a Tommy and Tuppence story a while back and I loved it!
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARPLE is all such a load of old tosh anyway it's impossible to take any of it seriously which doesn't prevent it being highly enjoyable if one is not a Christie purist and happens to be in the right mood.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there plans to film new episodes or have ITV put it on hold?
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mentioned this in another thread.This particular episode was included in the Marple Series 4 boxset that came out January 2010
    Are there plans to film new episodes or have ITV put it on hold?

The only Miss Marple story they ITV haven't adapted yet is "A Caribbean Mystery".

Including the latest episode in total they have done it now for 8 stories.Below is the other stories that ITV have adapted that didn't originally feature the Marple character.

By the Pricking of My Thumbs
    The Sittaford Mystery
    Ordeal by Innocence
    Towards Zero
    Murder is Easy
    The Pale Horse
    The Secret of Chimneys
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV Wed 8pm
    1. Is this a rfepeat
    3. or is it a new seriea
    No. Neither Poirot or Marple were in the original book!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest they did this with a Tommy and Tuppence story a while back and I loved it!
    Was that the Francesca Annis/James Warwick version with John Geilgud as the vicar father?
    It was brilliant - superbly done. Not sure I want to see them massacre the story. Unless I can divorce my brain from the original drama and book completely!
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated it when I saw it in Norway last year :(

I LOVED the Tommy/Tuppence story, though. Don't remember who played them at the mo, but they were good, and worked well even with Geraldine McEwen or whatever...
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the only thing i know about this is Georgia Moffatt is in it and she is a charming actress
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Was that the Francesca Annis/James Warwick version with John Geilgud as the vicar father?
    It was brilliant - superbly done. Not sure I want to see them massacre the story. Unless I can divorce my brain from the original drama and book completely!

That's the one. 1980. It was shown on a Sunday evening and ran for nearly three hours!!

In 1981 LWT did a second Christie, which again filled a Sunday evening, The Seven Dials Mystery.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    I hated it when I saw it in Norway last year :(

I LOVED the Tommy/Tuppence story, though. Don't remember who played them at the mo, but they were good, and worked well even with Geraldine McEwen or whatever...

I think it may have been Anthony Andrews and Greta Scacchi
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    That's the one. 1980. It was shown on a Sunday evening and ran for nearly three hours!!

In 1981 LWT did a second Christie, which again filled a Sunday evening, The Seven Dials Mystery.

Both of those often crop up on ITV3 at weekends
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samantha Bond hell she is in EVERYTHING! Georgia looking gorgeous as ever (hate the accent though) Rik Mayall too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    the only thing i know about this is Georgia Moffatt is in it and she is a charming actress
    Actress?:eek: REALLY?:eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I think it may have been Anthony Andrews and Greta Scacchi
    If you're talking about the 1980s version - the leads were Francesca Annis and James Warwick... unless you were meaning Tommy and Tuppence in which case I think you're right, V. Wasn't that the old ladies' home one? The latest Christies all merge into one for me!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    I usually love Marple but this is woeful. I kept thinking it was going to improve but I've finally given up in favour of The Apprentice. What a waste of good actors!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually love Marple but this is woeful. I kept thinking it was going to improve but I've finally given up in favour of The Apprentice. What a waste of good actors!
    Quite! They've over- complicated the story and made it ridiculous. What a travesty.