Options

Brilliant episode of Eastenders last night.

PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
Forum Member
Thoroughly enjoyable, apart from the scenes involving NewBen.

Some brilliant Halloween touches and brilliantly delivered "'Ello Ma'."

Comments

• Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved his cheeky "'appy 'alloween" at the end :D
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was fantastic. The only stupid thing for me though was Sharon at the party in the Vic. I get that it was Ronnie and Charlie's engagement but why wasn't it at The Albert?! lol Sharon is never there despite being landlady. So funny. :D
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree and watching it between those episodes of corrie made it seem even more so.

Dot was outstanding last night, the only down point for me was Charlies speech in the vic
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cheeky little jester you! We all know it was solid crap until Nick's appearance.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I was watching scream for a moment
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could have done without all the Halloween nonsense to be honest, but there's no doubt Eastenders has got it's mojo back under Treadwell-Collins.

The episode was great fun. Most important;y there's a feel about the thing that it's actually relevant again. It's hard to explain but you get a feeling from the acting and writing when a show is in the doldrums or when it's in the ascendancy . Eastenders feels like a show re-born.

Long may it continue.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, Ben is awful, that whole age group are annoying! The 16-25 year olds are used way too much these days, Kirkwood and Newman introduced this, and DTC hasn't stopped it, or cut that age group down, it's also the group with the most deadwood... Fatboy, Dexter, Tamwar, Lee, etc... But yes it was good, that Nick scene at the end will probably go down in history, I don't normally like the likes of Abi and Lauren, but they were quite good last night! weird how Emmerdale beat it in the ratings, **** knows why, but tbf EastEnders need to get their viewers back on side, naked calendar shoots and Tosh and Tina isn't the way to go about this... But yes, back to the point, it was a ios episode!;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could have done without all the Halloween nonsense to be honest, but there's no doubt Eastenders has got it's mojo back under Treadwell-Collins.

The episode was great fun. Most important;y there's a feel about the thing that it's actually relevant again. It's hard to explain but you get a feeling from the acting and writing when a show is in the doldrums or when it's in the ascendancy . Eastenders feels like a show re-born.

Long may it continue.

Sometimes DTC gets it spot on, but others I'm like 'wtf?' It's like you said all the Halloween nonsense... Stuff like musical bingo, karaoke, etc... Wouldn't have happened in the true EastEnders... The gritty 80's and 90's one! But yes he has made it a lot darker than what the awful LN did!
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better because it wasn't dragged down by tedious Carter shite.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Sometimes DTC gets it spot on, but others I'm like 'wtf?' It's like you said all the Halloween nonsense... Stuff like musical bingo, karaoke, etc... Wouldn't have happened in the true EastEnders... The gritty 80's and 90's one! But yes he has made it a lot darker than what the awful LN did!

Nothing can be perfect all the time
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member

What are you on about? Angie Watts was doing A karaoke night every other night of the week.
  • Options
    Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you on about? Angie Watts was doing A karaoke night every other night of the week.

I was just about to say the same. And who an forget the drag nights they had.

This idea that EastEnders in the 80s was this completely glum and dark show is ridiculous. There were those elements, but there was a lot of fun in it as well.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

Then we had extra teens drafted in to form a dreadful pop group in '86, and half the cast trying to launch music careers. In addition there was any excuse to gather round the piano for a sing song.

The only drama I remember from the first couple of years was a murder, a cot death and a teen pregnancy. I do remember they devoted an episode to Pauline voicing her disgust that Michelle was using disposable nappies.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    You cheeky little jester you! We all know it was solid crap until Nick's appearance.

Agreed. I thought it was awful until John's deadpan delivery of "Happy Halloween".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    It was a boring episode. Only good thing was the ending
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know but it was done is so much more of a grittier way (that sounds stupid I know), but we never had the inflatable guitars and shit, it all feels a bit forced now!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing can be perfect all the time

Yes, I am aware? Where in my comment, did I say it has to be perfect all the time?:/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just about to say the same. And who an forget the drag nights they had.

This idea that EastEnders in the 80s was this completely glum and dark show is ridiculous. There were those elements, but there was a lot of fun in it as well.

EastEnders in the 90's then, gosh...:D (am I going to be given a list of fun events held in the 90's now?:()
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved it last night. yes there wasn't much going on but I love night episodes and the ghoulish atmosphere was enjoyable
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    EastEnders in the 90's then, gosh...:D (am I going to be given a list of fun events held in the 90's now?:()

aren't you 15 ?
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why she dressed as Nanny McPhee? cracked me up

Good episode though
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    In addition there was any excuse to gather round the piano for a sing song.
    Wicksy was so attached to that piano, it's a wonder he had time to knock Cindy Beale up. Was he the only resident who could play? No wonder they got rid, they were buggered when he left.

And Ethel's ginger wig always came out for a singalong too :D
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wicksy was so attached to that piano, it's a wonder he had time to knock Cindy Beale up. Was he the only resident who could play? No wonder they got rid, they were buggered when he left.

And Ethel's ginger wig always came out for a singalong too :D

Aaah Ethel's tilted wig for big events at the Vic! Those were the days!!
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    It was really atmospheric and that masked figure (who turned out to be just Abbi) really terrified me!
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member

Oh it would, it really, really would. Things like karaokes and theme night have existed since the very beginning. Honestly.